PDA

View Full Version : BCA Junior National Qualifier, What a Joke!!!!!!!!

LBBill
01-27-2005, 09:00 PM
BELOW IS THE ARTICLE THAT I GOT FROM THE AZ WEBSITE, BCA IS GOIN' ALL OUT FOR THE KIDS EH?? KEEP IN MIND I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST MELISSA OR THE WYNKOOP.
Melissa Little
The Wynkoop Games Fundraiser
This Saturday, January 29th, 2005 The Wynkoop Brewing Company is hosting a fundraiser that will benefit the Wynkoop Juniors program.

The Wynkoop has partnered up with The Billiards Congress of America to help young Colorado athletes compete playing pool on a national level. Melissa Little a top Woman?s Professional Billiards Association ranked 12th in the world and house pro at the Wynkoop will run this event. The funds raised will send eight athletes to the University of Michigan to compete in the 2005 Junior National 9-ball championships in June.

The Wynkoop games is a partner's tournament playing one game of Nine ball, one game of Foosball, and one short version of darts (cricket). Thanks to The Wynkoop Brewing Company the winner of the tournament will win round trip tickets to Las Vegas good for anytime in 2005. 100% of the proceeds will benefit the athletes who win a qualifier. The tournament entry fee is $20.00 per team and the format will be a double elimination tournament. Registration is at 9:00 AM and play will begin at 10:00 AM

"playing one game of Nine ball, one game of Foosball, and one short version of darts (cricket)."

THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HOW CONCERNED THE BCA IN COLORADO SPRINGS IS IN GETTING QUALIFIED JUNIOR PLAYERS TO THIER NATIONAL PROGRAM, WHAT A JOKE, WHY NOT SEE WHO CAN EAT MORE HOT DOGS T QUALIFY, BCA (BEWARE CORPORATE AGENDA) IS THIS THE BEST THEY CAN DO TO INCREASE THE PARTICIPATION AT THE JUNIOR NATIONALS.?????

landshark77
01-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Eh, I dunno...just look at the trade show, there are more spas and video games than pool related merchandise. I guess you have to cross market to get to the masses. This is probably the only reason I am glad I am an adult...I suck at darts...and it would kill me just to be able to play one game, LOL. This is not the only mixed event tourney that has occurred and I'm sure it won't be the last. When you cater to more interest your enrollment increases, is it the best thing for pool, maybe or maybe not. If one dart player takes a liking to the one game of pool they played then, well pool has another participant/ fan.

LBBill
01-28-2005, 05:20 AM
YES, BUT THE WHOLE PURPOSE WAS TO QUALIFY THROUGH COMPETITION, LEAGUE PLAY AND THEN COMPETE AGAINST THE BEST JUNIOR PLAYERS IN THE WORLD, WHAT CHANCE DOES A PERSON WHO WINS ONE GAME HAVE AGAINST LETS SAY THE BEST PLAYER FROM CANADA, ITS ANNOYING THEY (BCA) COULD ACTUALLY CREATE A EVENT DESIGNED FOR THE SPORT THEY SUPPOSIDLY REPRESENT, BUT QUALIFY FOR A POOL EVENT BY PLAYING DARTS, THATS OFF CUE.

Rich R.
01-28-2005, 07:54 AM
You could be a little confused on this issue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe I'm misreading the article, but this seems to be a fund raiser, to get money to send the junior players to the BCA tournament. I don't read where this is the actual qualifying tournament. In fact, it says that this is a "partners tournament".
Later on, it says that, "100% of the proceeds will benefit the athletes who win a qualifier."
No where does it state that this tournament is the actual qualifier.

landshark77
01-28-2005, 08:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LBBill:</font><hr> YES, BUT THE WHOLE PURPOSE WAS TO QUALIFY THROUGH COMPETITION, LEAGUE PLAY AND THEN COMPETE AGAINST THE BEST JUNIOR PLAYERS IN THE WORLD, WHAT CHANCE DOES A PERSON WHO WINS ONE GAME HAVE AGAINST LETS SAY THE BEST PLAYER FROM CANADA, ITS ANNOYING THEY (BCA) COULD ACTUALLY CREATE A EVENT DESIGNED FOR THE SPORT THEY SUPPOSIDLY REPRESENT, BUT QUALIFY FOR A POOL EVENT BY PLAYING DARTS, THATS OFF CUE. <hr /></blockquote>

No need to yell, LBBill...I agree if your perception is correct. If this is a q'er then by all means the focus should be on pool, however, I think I'm with Rich on this one..it just seems to be a fundraiser. Melissa Little has a forum now on AZ Billiards, maybe you should ask her about it...get it strait from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Hockeygirl
01-28-2005, 09:33 AM
This is a FUNDRAISER to raise money for the juniors that qualify at the actual qualifiers. Don't knock an event until you get all the facts. That is just plain rude. This also tells me that you are against supporting any Juniors that want to play pool. Nice support of billiards there

Popcorn
01-28-2005, 09:38 AM
That is how I kind of understood it, kind of like a walk-a-thon or a car wash to benefit the pool players

LBBill
01-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I personally ran the program for two years at the BCA, I was on the payroll, I think I know what is right for the Juniors, who do you think got the kids out of the pool rooms and into the Colleges, away from the alcohol and tobacco, could of been someone who really "cared" about the sport don't ya think, or do ya want to confront me on maybe we should bring the kids back to the smoke/alcohol where the cloth is pulled tighter.

GeraldG
01-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Holy smokes!! We're a little confrontational here, aren't we Bill? I haven't seen any attacks against your skills or knowledge with running the BCA Juniors program....yet. Why are you teeing off at the folks in the forum? They are only trying to point out to you that this was just an event to raise funds to help the kids get to the competition IF they win an actual qualifier later. Seems like a good thing to me. At least somebody's doing something other than complaining in a forum about what someone else is doing.

If you single-handedly got the kids out of the poolrooms and smoke and alcohol like you claim, then why aren't you involved in it anymore? Sounds like sour grapes with your former employer to me.

I didn't see anything in what you posted at all that would lead me to believe that this was anything other than a way to raise money for the kids. It doesn't say anywhere in there that this is a qualifying event, nor does it say that it is meant to prepare them for any other competitions. It's just a way to give them a fun time and raise money at the same time. I'm sure the kids will have a blast...or is there a problem with that, too? Maybe it's a good thing you AREN'T involved any more.

Bob
01-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Well, I gotta get my 2 cents into this subject.

I read it as a fun raiser too. Having held a BCA Junior Event at The Midwest Open, the BCA (at least at the time) does nothing to help provide prizes for the kids at these events. I had to contact my resources to be able to provide goodie bags for each child, so that all who had participated had something. They have a new person at BCA now who is directing the Junior Program, her name is Tracy Hart. I have talked with her many times and she sounds like she will do a great job.

This is one of the reasons we created the Orlando Open www.OrlandoOpen.com (http://www.OrlandoOpen.com) It is an event that is geared around the kids. This program is devoted to competition, instruction, product information and most of all fun.

There will be competition is 2 different age groups, adult/child competition's, seminars on how to make and what goes into making a cue, proper pool etiquette and much more. We too, hope to get some of the best competition in the world and plan on making this the premier event for kids world wide.

LBBill
01-29-2005, 08:45 AM
So how does one/ONE game of 9 ball make sense in determining who goes to the Nationals? The qualifiers are intended to create a highly competitive National event, and then send players to the Worlds to represent the USA, how does just sending "bodies" not competitors benefit the National tournament???????????? The BCA could care less, what ever is easy and less costly when it comes to supporting the players side yet use their name is the BCA's motive, why do you think the leagues and programs side is gone?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-29-2005, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LBBill:</font><hr> So how does one/ONE game of 9 ball make sense in determining who goes to the Nationals? <hr /></blockquote>

GET THIS THRU YOUR HEAD. IT'S NOT A QUALIFIER. IT'S A FUNDRAISER!!!

[ QUOTE ]
100% of the proceeds will benefit the athletes who win a qualifier. <hr /></blockquote>

GeraldG
01-29-2005, 08:52 AM
This one game has NOTHING to do with determining who goes. It's not a qualifier. It's simply a fund raiser. It's no different than if they sold donuts on the street corner to raise the money. They have to get money from somewhere.

Popcorn
01-29-2005, 09:06 AM
I understand exactly what they are doing. I am so glad you got the kids out of the pool rooms. What are you doing posting here if you think the game is so evil?

mksmith713
01-29-2005, 09:08 AM
That would be kinda funny if it were the qualifier.
Can you imagine the best 9 ball player fouling on the nine ball and losing to another kid who happens to be a great dart and foosball player but sucks at pool.
What a great representative this kid would make......LOL

Popcorn
01-29-2005, 09:10 AM
This guy has no clue, don't waste your time.