PDA

View Full Version : 7-ball and the definition of "Tertiary."

Fred Agnir
05-28-2002, 09:07 AM
For some odd reason, here and there, I've thought that the word "tertiary" meant something that it does not. My dictionary (Webster's Unabridged 1980something) says that "Tertiary Color" is the combination of two secondary colors. Inference suggesest that a tertiary color then has a combination of all three primary colors.

On this and other pool forums, it has been suggested that the colors of pool balls are as follows:

1,2,3, primary (old definition)
4,5,6, secondary
7 tertiary.

But my wife, who has a BFA in Painting assures me that "Tertiary Colors" are the hues of colors that lay between two Primary Colors, like yellow-orange, for example. I checked the color wheels, and I'll go with my wife on this one. That is, no third primary color is normally associated with the term "tertiary."

Therefore, the 7-ball is not really a tertiary color. I don't know what the artists call it. A mixed color?

Incidentally, after an e-mail to Saluc, I now know what color the 7-ball actually is. For Centennials and Super Pros, the color of the 7-ball is:

Pantone PMS 202C <a target="_blank" href=http://www.3m.com/us/brands/scotchprintgraphics/pantone_106_2738.jhtml>http://www.3m.com/us/brands/scotchprintgraphics/pantone_106_2738.jhtml</a>

For the Crowns and Premieres,they say it's something closer to PMS 1815C.

Hope this helps,

Fred Agnir

Wally_in_Cincy
05-30-2002, 08:34 AM
What's Saluc's tolerance regarding diameter? I would think anything more than 001" would be unacceptable considering their insistence on quality. Does that sound about right?

Hope you can help /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

heater451
05-30-2002, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
. . ."Tertiary Colors" are the hues of colors that lay between two Primary Colors, like yellow-orange, for example <hr></blockquote>
Fred, since orange is a secondary color, wouldn't the tertiary color of yellow-orange actually exist between primary and secondary colors? (Not that it's wrong to state that it's between two primary colors, which it is, but then one might interpret orange as a tertiary color as well.)

Coloration always makes me note how it differs between wavelength color, and physical color. That is, all colored light combines into "white light", yet all colors of paints, or on a wheel, combine into black. . . .

Fred Agnir
05-30-2002, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: heater451:</font><hr>
Fred, since orange is a secondary color, wouldn't the tertiary color of yellow-orange actually exist between primary and secondary colors? (Not that it's wrong to state that it's between two primary colors, which it is, but then one might interpret orange as a tertiary color as well.)
<hr></blockquote>
Yeah, I could have been more clear. But, since we know that orange is a secondary color and not a hue, then I believe that there are two hues that are considered "tertiary" between yellow and red. Namely, yellow orange and red orange (or whatever anyone wants to call them). I did say "hue", didn't I?

And one more thing. In all of this rambling, I have of course assumed that the 7-ball color does indeed have all three primary colors in its mix. I could be way wrong on that, in which case the 7-ball could be considered tertiary.

Fred &lt;~~~ wasn't clear

Harold Acosta
05-31-2002, 01:14 PM
Definition Tertiary - Webster's Second College Edition 1986

1. of the third rank, order, formation, stage, etc.; third.
2. (Chem) a third in order or type,
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. of the Third Order

Therefore, I guess the 7 ball is really "tertiary" color...

Tom_In_Cincy
05-31-2002, 03:41 PM