PDA

View Full Version : Players That Should Get More Recognition

Fred Agnir
01-28-2005, 08:37 AM
For some reason, I've been thinking about this lately, and I guess I'm a glutton for whatever. There are a few players out there that just don't seem to and probably never will get the praises they deserve. They've virtually fallen off the horizon and new players to pool will never know just how good they were.

Today, I'm specifically talking about David Howard. Here's a guy that won over 20 "major" titles including two U.S. Open 9-ball tournaments. In pooldom, a "major" was considered an open tournament where all of the best of the best played (US Open, Sands Reno, etc.), as opposed to a satellite tour (Joss, Viking). Twenty is a lot. Guys like Corey Deuel, Mike Immonen and Jeremy Jones don't yet have 20. David was winning his titles when Hall of Famers Steve Mizerak, Jim Rempe, Buddy Hall, Nick Varner, the great Mike Sigel and future HOFers Earl Strickland and Allen Hopkins were still in their prime!!! That's STRONG!.

And where is his name now amoung pool greats? Never mentioned. Never considered for Hall of Fame honors. I'm sure there are other names that IMO should be resurfaced, but for some reason, I'm on a David Howard kick right now.

Fred

Popcorn
01-28-2005, 09:22 AM
My only problem with David Howard is he is just a one game player, 9 ball only. His straight pool game is horrible and his one pocket is only a little better. He played OK on a bar table but that is about it. These are just objective comments not meant to be mean or anything but it is my opinion. I think HOF'ers have to truly be great players and I think he falls short of that mark. He played very good 9-ball for a while though.

Deeman2
01-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Fred,

I agree with you on David "The Giant Killer". I saw him sitting in the background of a tournament a few weeks ago on TV and thought of him as well.

I liked his agressive play and his powerful stroke. True he was not a killer at all games but did you ever have the chance to just hit balls with him? All good players can hit some magnificent shots and spin the cue ball in practice but David could bend a cue ball as far as anyone outside maybe Tarzan. I have a pretty good David Howard story to tell and if he ever gets on this board, I'll ask his permission to tell it.

Your other point is well taken as well. He played during one of the "cream of the crop" eras and matched up well on such a consistent basis. As well, he the only guy I ever saw bend a cue on a break more than Captain Hook. I know that's not the style now but it made a pretty picture and worked well for him. I know he's in Florida now and hope he is doing well. He does deserve some recognition.

Thanks for reminding us.

Deeman

Popcorn
01-28-2005, 11:22 AM
I have to say that it would be hard to find someone who would say a bad thing about him, he is really a nice guy. He is the same guy winning or losing whether it be tournaments or gambling. I saw him lose a really tough match once and as he was putting away his cue the spectators sitting close were obviously a little uncomfortable about saying anything to him and he instead broke the ice saying to a girl sitting there, "Tough day at the factory" and everyone laughed and he signed autographs and talked with them for a while. Quite a contrast to some players playing today. He is a real class act on and off the table.

Deeman2
01-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Well said, Popcorn!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
01-28-2005, 01:02 PM
I was lucky enough to see David play world class pool, and had the pleasure of playing him several times on the Florida Tour {I think I'm 0 for 6 against him /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif}. Monster break, lotsa heart and ability there...nice guy too.

Deeman2
01-29-2005, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> I was lucky enough to see David play world class pool, and had the pleasure of playing him several times on the Florida Tour {I think I'm 0 for 6 against him /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif}. Monster break, lotsa heart and ability there...nice guy too. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I never handed my money to a nicer guy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Deeman </font color>

Nostroke
01-29-2005, 01:25 PM
At one time i think he had the fastest break ever radared and im not sure anyone beat it yet.

Cueless Joey
01-29-2005, 01:35 PM
I think Wade Crane might be the most overlooked player around.

Voodoo Daddy
01-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Got to play him on the Florida Tour too. Powerfull stroke and shoots ambidextrious {SP}. Took me awhile to get used to calling him Wade, not Billy Johnson...HAHAHAHA!!