PDA

View Full Version : How much is this?

cheesemouse
01-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Being that I'm a provincial little mouse there is not much I can do to effect the world geo-political scene. I'm pretty much relegated to paying my taxes and dutifully pulling the voting lever when given the chance. I willingly pay my fair share of taxes because in all it's complexities our government does a decent job of paving and lighting the streets, pumping my waste produces away from my home so I can't smell them, reasonalby cleans the water I drink from the tap(Just can't pay for bottled water),imposes guidelines so I can ingest foods and medicenes that won't drop me in tracks,and allows me to freely move about my community with the confidence that I won't be accosted by some thug that wants my stuff. Whatever it cost to providing me these conveniences I willingly pony up. If I use more of these services than the other guy I expect to pay more in taxes because of my choices; it just seems fair that way. When I step into the voting booth I vote for the ones I think will continue to provide me these base line services that I find hard to provide myself.

As simplistic as the above paragraph may seem one could expanded from the hamelets where we live to the townships, countys, states, and then to the borders of our nation and say "hey, not a bad deal". If what we have here in American were a produce to be sold in some global grocery store I think it would get the eye level shelves. We wouldn't have to have armed guards forcing customers to buy only our produce. We would just have to continue to refine, improve and offer our goods and they would fly off the shelves. Those global grocery stores that did not offer our good produce would evenually go out of business or at the very least have disgruntled customers demanding better than what is offer them...like I said "pretty simplistic" but then I'm just a provincial little mouse that likes the freedoms the Constitution provides me to say and do as I please.

The Cheese walks into the store and says "how much is this?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-28-2005, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>
...Whatever it cost to providing me these conveniences I willingly pony up. If I use more of these services than the other guy I expect to pay more in taxes because of my choices...
<hr /></blockquote>

provincial mouse,

While I generally agree with your sentiments but I also know there is unbelievable waste in many of the departments that provide these services. So I bitch about taxes as a way to keep their feet held to the fire.

And as far as paying more than the other guy, consider this. The guy that owns my company probably makes over a mil a year so he is paying 20 times the taxes of the average Joe-bag-o-donuts, yet he does not use more roads than the other guy. He still only puts his garbage out once a week etc.