PDA

View Full Version : LASIK Report - Year 3

Fred Agnir
01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
I know the LASIK question comes up every other month, so I'm giving me third year checkup report. For those who want to see a chronicle, check out:

LASIK Month One (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.sport.pool/msg/517947ce836b7316?dmode=source)

6 month (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.sport.billiard/msg/01b595933e696173?dmode=source)

1+ Year (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.sport.billiard/msg/4ae6f1fe88eb4dc9?dmode=source)

I just went to my eye-doctor yesterday. No changes. I'm about 20/15 in my left eye, and 20/20 with my right with residual astigmatism. I'm about two clicks away from getting very clear on the 20/20 line. With both eyes open, the 20/15 is clear, and I can almost read the 20/10 line.

My closeup vision is worse than before LASIK with glasses or contacts on. That's not a big deal to me, but it may be to someone else. That is, my closeup vision is normal for my age.

I have no eye health problems.

Please see my other posts for questions on night-vision, halos, and starburst. I have had decreased night vision problems as compared to pre-LASIK.

Fred

LARRY_BOY
01-28-2005, 12:22 PM
How old are you? What was your vision before surgery? Thanks ........ thinking of doing it myself.

SpiderMan
01-28-2005, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
My closeup vision is worse than before LASIK with glasses or contacts on.
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred,

Do you feel that this is an indication you were over-corrected to guarantee distance vision?

SpiderMan

dg-in-centralpa
01-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Fred,
My wife wants this done but her concern is the outside chance that it will not work and make her eyes worse or blind. Did you have this fear? How much time did you miss from work? She works at a computer everyday.

DG

Fred Agnir
01-28-2005, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> How old are you? What was your vision before surgery? Thanks ........ thinking of doing it myself. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm 38. My vision before was something like 20/400. With astigmatism, my left eye was something like -5.5 diopters and my right eye was around -6.25. It's on the web somewhere if not on one of those links I provided. ( <font color="red"> Edit: I just checked the first link which answered many frequently asked questions. My vision correction including astigmatism was -6.00 diopters per eye </font color>

Fred

Fred Agnir
01-28-2005, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred,

Do you feel that this is an indication you were over-corrected to guarantee distance vision?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>I don't think so. But I really never gave it much thought. I mean, one eye is better than 20/20, and the other for all intents and purposes is slightly worse. I'm straddling the line, so to speak.

Can a normal person with 20/20 vision in each eye see the 20/15 line clearly with both eyes?

Fred

Fred Agnir
01-28-2005, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Fred,
My wife wants this done but her concern is the outside chance that it will not work and make her eyes worse or blind. Did you have this fear? How much time did you miss from work? She works at a computer everyday.
<hr /></blockquote> I missed one day (Friday) but plan on missing at least two. To my knowledge, not one person has ever become blind at LASIKMD in Canada. And they've done more procedures than anyone in the world, I believe.

I didn't fear that it wouldn't work, or else I would never have done it. Canada and LASIKMD (http://www.lasikmd.ca) has a better reputation and track record than my local area. Plus they had better technology. I'm bringing my wife up there next month.

The pre-LASIK is very important to ensure that she's a candidate. Make sure your clinic has a record of turning people away if they're not good candidates.

Fred

SpiderMan
01-28-2005, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred,

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>I don't think so. But I really never gave it much thought. I mean, one eye is better than 20/20, and the other for all intents and purposes is slightly worse. I'm straddling the line, so to speak.

Can a normal person with 20/20 vision in each eye see the 20/15 line clearly with both eyes?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I'd say "yes" to your last question. With glasses that correct me to 20/20 in each eye, I can read the next line down using both eyes. Perhaps we integrate information from both eyes to raise the signal from the noise.

Ideally, the eyes focus at infinity when the muscles and lens are completely relaxed. Any "focusing" effort serves to bring the focal distance in closer. As we age, our ability to thicken the lens and focus closer becomes less, so we have less range to our focus. Since "good" eyes are relaxed at infinity, this aging and loss of focusing range manifests itself as a lessened ability to see things up close.

The reason I'm curious about over-correction is that as engineers we must realize the impossibility of getting the corrective procedure "exact". If I'm a surgeon and want to make certain my patient can focus at infinity, what do I do? Knowing there is some margin of error in my procedure, I can't afford to have the patient's eyes focus short of infinity when completely relaxed. I therefore shoot to nominally over-correct a little bit.

Then if I err slightly on the side of nearsightedness, my relaxed patient is still focused at infinity. If I hit my target of slight over-correction, or perhaps err even further on the on the side of farsightedness, then the patient will unknowingly be using up a little of his "focusing ability" to see at infinity.

Unfortunately, if I do wind up with a slight over-correction, his native focusing ability will be partly used when achieving distance vision, and less will remain for focusing up close. My patient will need reading glasses earlier in life. This will be particularly noticeable in dimmer light, when the pupil aperture is not contracted to provide additional depth-of-field.

SpiderMan

JPB
01-28-2005, 06:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> How old are you? What was your vision before surgery? Thanks ........ thinking of doing it myself. <hr /></blockquote>

No, go to a good doctor, not something you want to do yourself.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gifsorry couldn't resist

Barbara
01-28-2005, 06:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> How old are you? What was your vision before surgery? Thanks ........ thinking of doing it myself. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm 38. My vision before was something like 20/400. With astigmatism, my left eye was something like -5.5 diopters and my right eye was around -6.25. It's on the web somewhere if not on one of those links I provided. ( <font color="red"> Edit: I just checked the first link which answered many frequently asked questions. My vision correction including astigmatism was -6.00 diopters per eye </font color>

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I'm a -8 now. My optometrist tells me to sit tight and wait. Should I?

Barbara

tateuts
01-29-2005, 07:08 AM
I'm 51. my eyesight was similar to yours before correction. I had Lasik about 6 years ago. My left eye is 20/20 and my right eye is about 20/40 (it changed within a year of the surgery and I haven't had it corrected).

My reading vision was excellent well into my 40's. Interestingly, about a year before the surgery my optometrist warned me that my reading vision was about to get worse. Finally, about a year ago I started needing reading glasses.

I don't know if there is any correction that a surgery can do yet for reading - but I can put up with it. I can read almost anything without glasses - it's just a strain.

Chris

aboutGT
01-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Check this out for LASIK doc in your area using the latest technology.

www.visx.com/candidates/resources/find_a_doc.php (http://www.visx.com/candidates/resources/find_a_doc.php)

aboutGT
01-29-2005, 03:48 PM
The correction for distance and near is called Prelex. It is a replacement of the lense in the eye. These websites can answer many questions.

www.lasersurgeryforeyes.com/LASIKvisioncorrection/LASIKfaqs.html (http://www.lasersurgeryforeyes.com/LASIKvisioncorrection/LASIKfaqs.html)

www.complicatedeyes.org/ (http://www.complicatedeyes.org/)

aboutGT
01-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Most LASIK Docs initially overcorrect as more than 99% of the population's vision regresses as the healing of the cornea flap occurs over a 1-3 month period. It is recommended to get a lifetime guarantee as a "few" people having LASIK 6 years ago are now starting to need an enhancement.