PDA

View Full Version : Tip Change question

05-28-2002, 09:24 AM
If a shaft is 13mm should I order 13mm tips and assume they will fit perfectly or should I order 14mm tips and trim them to align with ferulle? If a Predator shaft is 12.75 should I order 13mm tips and trim down? What method is preferred to trim a tip diameter to the same as the ferulle if a lathe is not available in the area? This is my first time attempting tip change so your detailed suggestions are needed. Is the technique the same for LePro and for layered tips? I will practice on an old junk cue. Thank you

05-28-2002, 11:14 AM
for 13mm go with the next big size like 14mm for or 12.75mm you can go either 13mm or 14mm but not the same diameter on what you have.

Vapros
05-28-2002, 11:29 AM
I bought a half-dozen tips for my Predator shaft, and there are a couple still on hand. I'm thinking they were 13 mm, but I'm not certain. They are a little wider than the ferrule and must be trimmed. I stand the shaft on the tip and shave the extra with an X-acto knife and vertical strokes, going 'round and 'round until I get it where I want it. At times it's almost like scraping. I use the straight-edge blade. I think it's Number 11.

I use Super Jet medium viscosity model cement, which comes in a 1 oz. bottle and is kept in the refrigerator. Sets fast and holds tight. Powerful stuff that has never failed.

Troy
05-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Without question, use an oversize tip. For a 12.75mm Predator, I suggest a 14mm to be sure if you can not guarantee tip centering on the shaft.

Trimming to ferrule size is a bit tricky without a lathe but with caution can be done. I suggest a razor knife with the shaft vertical on the tip taking small nibbles.

Whatever you do, be EXTRA CAREFUL with the Predator because there is not a whole lot of extra ferrule and it's fairly soft.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: visiting:</font><hr> If a shaft is 13mm should I order 13mm tips and assume they will fit perfectly or should I order 14mm tips and trim them to align with ferulle? If a Predator shaft is 12.75 should I order 13mm tips and trim down? What method is preferred to trim a tip diameter to the same as the ferulle if a lathe is not available in the area? This is my first time attempting tip change so your detailed suggestions are needed. Is the technique the same for LePro and for layered tips? I will practice on an old junk cue. Thank you <hr></blockquote>