PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Archer in Puerto Rico

Harold Acosta
01-28-2005, 05:14 PM
The Scorpion has landed....in Puerto Rico!

Info from the pages of AZ Billiards:

Archer gearing up for Scorpion Challenge in Puerto Rico

7-time Player of the Year, Johnny "The Scorpion" Archer is getting ready to play in a special tournament called "The Scorpion Challenge". The tournament will take place this weekend, January 29 and 30, in Puerto Rico, the beautiful caribbean island known for it's white sandy beaches. The invitational tournament will put Archer against the winner of a 16 man tournamente between the top Puerto Rican players.

Fernando L. Calvo, owner of Players Pool Hall, which will host the event, said: "We are very pleased to have a Hall of Fame caliber player participating in this tournament. The Puerto Rican players will have a "Dream come True" opportunity of facing Johnny Archer in the finals of a world-class event. I also would like to thank Scorpion Cues and Mr. Archer for making this event possible."

The winner of the Puerto Rican tournament will receive more than $1,000 in prizes and will get the opportunity to face Archer for an additional $500.

The 16 players who will be participating for a shot at Archer are: Antonio Perez, Juan "Papin" Rodriguez, Isai Irizarry, Edgardo Ramirez, Jose "Cheo" Rodriguez, German Hernandez, Miguel "Pee Wee" Laboy, Javi Perez, Francisco Pintado, Luis Cancel, Nelson Rivera, Alan Rolon, Wilfredo Camacho, Miguel Torres, Enrique Montalvo and Miguel "Pito" Batista.

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Billiard Federation
(Federacion Puertorriquena de Billar)

PQQLK9
01-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Hope to see some pictures /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty
01-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi Harold,

Have Fun! BTW - where is that web page you were going to be putting up? You know, the one with all the pictures?

nhp
01-29-2005, 03:35 AM
I've heard of Alan Rolon before, I think. Who's the favorite to go up against Archer?

hhilario
01-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Excellent! Will Johnny be doing exhibitions and/or media appearences?

Harold Acosta
01-30-2005, 06:50 PM
We will be posting some pictures at:

http://www.geocities.com/nlrv018/user.html

Harold Acosta
01-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Four pictures are up right now at:

http://www.geocities.com/nlrv018/user.html

Harold Acosta
01-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Alan Rolon, together with Edgardo Ramirez were the favorites among fans and players to win the Tournament and the right to play Johnny.

Alan won and got his chance at Archer.

Harold Acosta
01-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Yes. Johnny participated in a local radio program where I got about 15 minutes air time with him for an interview. I interviewed in English, and it was translated to Spanish for the listeners by Fernando Calvo, owner and promoter of the event.

Johnny was very pleased with the attentions afforded to him and his family. After the radio interview he spoke with the people, signed posters, autographs, and pictures with the fans. Johnny was very humble and kind with everyone.

There were 3 short exhibitions with Johnny throughout the entire event.

Everything came out just fine.

Plans are being made to bring him again next year.

cueball1950
01-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Harold my friend. I am glad to hear that everything went well for you at your event. Maybe next year you can bring in 2 players. maybe Johnny and another player, maybe tony robles or nick varner. maybe even get a package deal and have them put on a clinic 1 day teaching along with maybe 2 of your local players. Sorta like a pool school. Hey, thats a good idea it would help cover some of your expenses..............................mike