PDA

View Full Version : new member

al654321
01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
I found this site a few months ago and having played the game for the better part of 40 years, I can't believe how much I have learned by reading everyone's post. I am a 55 year old who just recently picked a cue again after a 7 year hiatus from the game. The kids are basically gone and it's just my Wife of 23 years and I so I decided it was time to start shooting again. I play Valley league one night per week and have really pretty well picked up where I left off 7 years ago which is to say that everytime I start feeling pretty cocky I manage to run into someone who gives me big old dose of humility but I still love the game with a passion. I do have a few questions for the group though. Has anyone shot with or heard anything about McDermott's new graphic core shafts made by Easton Corp? Also, I never knew there were so many choices of tips available out there in the market. What are the actual effects of shooting with a hard, medium, soft and/or layered/non layered tip? I have always used a LePro and I would like to maybe try the higher end tips. I live about 10 minutes from the Southern tip of Lake Michigan about 40 minutes from downtown Chicago. Does anyone kmow of a pro shop in the Chicago area where you might try tips? Thanks in advance for your consideration. Al

Tom_In_Cincy
01-28-2005, 10:06 PM
First, let me say Welcome...

40 years without a hiatus from the game and I still find playing is just as much a pleasure now as it was 40 years ago.

LePro was my tip of choice until I tried the layered tips. The hard tips were making me focus on stroking more consistanly and with more purpose. I was very aware of mis-cues with the hard tips, but realy liked the way they hit.
I've played with the Elk Master tips, and some very hard tips. I liked the Elk Master (very soft compared to the other tips) when I played a lot of Banks and One Pocket. But, the hard tips really helped me with 14.1 and eventually all the games I played. The 'Help' came from my focusing on my stroke.
I only play with Talisman Pro Hard tips now, but I would suggest trying the medium first. The layered tips keep their shape better than any tip I've ever used and require a lot less maintenance. No scuffing or mushrooming. They also hold chalk very well (compared to the Elk Master and LePros)

If you have the patience, try several tips and see which one will be your choice.

Other suggestions will follow, my opinion is only worth what I paid for it.. LOL.

And, don't be a stranger, Post again about your tip hunting experiences.

Rod
01-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Welcome and welcome back to the game. Don't get to caught up in tips. Sure, experiment if you like but if an installer isn't near by what then? Learn to do your own if possible. Lepro is a good tip, many people use them. They are a bit inconsistant but so are others.

There is some discussion over at AZ Billiards on those shafts but don't decide on a few comments. Unless you really need a shaft, actually most don't they need a better stroke. For the most part many people by them just to try out a new toy. LOL Put the money where it's most useful. Mc Dermott may not hire me or Predator as well but I not going to sell someone something they don't need. If your basic preshot routine, stance and stroke are not very solid, buying a shaft is little more than a waist of money.

Rod

Troy
01-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the Board and welcome back to the game.
If you're playing with a cue you had 7 years ago, I seriously doubt you need to spend the money for a new shaft.
Tips --- tips seem to be a thing of personal choice. I've been re-tipping cues for about 6 years and Le Pro is the hands down best seller although they are notoriously inconsistent.
My personal choice is a Talisman Pro Soft, but I play mostly One Pocket. For 9-Ball or 8-Ball I would probably choose a Talisman Medium, maybe a Hard. The main thing I like about the Talisman tips is that they hold their shape, hold chalk well and do NOT mushroom. JMO

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote al654321:</font><hr> I found this site a few months ago and having played the game for the better part of 40 years, I can't believe how much I have learned by reading everyone's post. I am a 55 year old who just recently picked a cue again after a 7 year hiatus from the game. The kids are basically gone and it's just my Wife of 23 years and I so I decided it was time to start shooting again. I play Valley league one night per week and have really pretty well picked up where I left off 7 years ago which is to say that everytime I start feeling pretty cocky I manage to run into someone who gives me big old dose of humility but I still love the game with a passion. I do have a few questions for the group though. Has anyone shot with or heard anything about McDermott's new graphic core shafts made by Easton Corp? Also, I never knew there were so many choices of tips available out there in the market. What are the actual effects of shooting with a hard, medium, soft and/or layered/non layered tip? I have always used a LePro and I would like to maybe try the higher end tips. I live about 10 minutes from the Southern tip of Lake Michigan about 40 minutes from downtown Chicago. Does anyone kmow of a pro shop in the Chicago area where you might try tips? Thanks in advance for your consideration. Al <hr /></blockquote>