PDA

View Full Version : Earl's taped butt @ World Summit of Pool

christopheradams
01-29-2005, 12:36 AM
When watching The World Summit of Pool you could see Earl Strickland taped the butt of his playing cue. Any idea why? Could this make for a more relaxed grip and make his silky smooth stoke even smoother? Does a larger diameter grip make for less strain in the "pool muscles" when taking the grip?

GeraldG
01-29-2005, 12:42 AM
I would think it was more likely something much simpler than that, like the wrap was coming loose and he didn't have time to get rewrapped or he just didn't like the way the wrap felt or something along those lines.

christopheradams
01-29-2005, 12:45 AM
I don't know, it looked kinda fat for that. If it was just taped because the wrap was coming apart you would think it would resemble a more traditional diameter for a cue and same goes for the theory that he didn't like the feeling of the wrap. Maybe the fatness of the tape made for a softer feeling on the cue.

Pizza Bob
01-29-2005, 06:14 AM
Yeah, it was built up with paper and then wrapped with tennis racket grip tape. He said it gives him better "feel". The shaft also has about a 25" pro-taper at about 12 mm. Whew! How would you like to be this guy's cuemaker?!?!? No arguing with the way he plays though. Oh, BTW, he also tapes his fingers. I'd do all of the above if it guaranteed me I could play like him LOL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

christopheradams
01-29-2005, 06:34 AM
I was considering experimenting with tennis racket wrap. I have a sneaky pete predator 314 and don't really care for the wrap too much. Where did you dig up all the info on Earl's gear? Any idea what the average pro taper is? Earl probably needs the 25" because of that long stroke right? Thanks for the info. I watch that match against Harriman all the time for tips on position play and technique and everytime I watch it, I wonder about that "taped up cue"

Fasteddy7
01-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah I saw he had his butt taped up in chicago @ the midwest open. I think its to compensate for a small <...... (insert funny word here)

Deeman2
01-29-2005, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fasteddy7:</font><hr> Yeah I saw he had his butt taped up in chicago @ the midwest open. I think its to compensate for a small &lt;...... (insert funny word here) <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> You are concentrating entirely too much on Earls' Butt here. I'm going over to a less controversal thread... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif</font color>

LARRY_BOY
01-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Earl should try putting the tape over his mouth ......then and only then will he be the PERFECT pool player of all time.

I'd rather be lucky than good.

christopheradams
02-01-2005, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> Earl should try putting the tape over his mouth ......then and only then will he be the PERFECT pool player of all time.

I'd rather be lucky than good. <hr /></blockquote>

With his record, he is as close to the prefect as they come. And I like the comments he makes. It shows that he plays with heart and he makes things interesting. Maybe when he retires he will be a commentator, now that would really make things interesting /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.