PDA

View Full Version : All in the Wrist

nhp
01-29-2005, 03:41 AM
Many times in the past I've heard people mention that the power and finesse in a stroke comes from the wrist. I think I finally understand what that means. I think that too many people misinterpret it that you get power or finesse by 'snapping' your wrist. I think it's just more of keeping your wrist loose, and preventing it from twisting. I personally believe that power and finesse AND touch come from the weight of your cue combined with the weight of your arm. Tightening up anything in your arm, mainly your wrist, inhibits what you are trying to put on the ball. Try letting your wrist hang down, completely relaxed during your practice strokes, and keep that relaxed feeling there when you execute the shot. If you are having problems drawing or following the ball, or putting enough english, this could fix your problem. I have noticed alot of players have a tendency to loosen their wrists on the back stroke, and tighten it back up on their forward strokes. Notice how some players twist inwards on their forward motion. It's because of tension in their wrists. What works for me may not work for you, but if you are having problems, it doesn't hurt to try.