PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Players and Action cues?

mksmith713
01-29-2005, 07:02 AM
I've always associated Players and Action cues with low grade cues.
I'm seeing more and more of both brands with really nice spliced butts and inlay work that looks sweet.
Why are there cues still so inexpensive?
I know PLayers are made by the same people who make Vintage and Lucasi.
I've never been fond of the aesthetics of Lucasi cues, but Players look nothing like Lucasi.
Do they use less expensive woods?
Do they turn them out so fast that the shafts warp quickly?
Poorly balanced maybe?

I think some of the newer Players and Action cues have a nice look.
Though I wouldn't give up my regular playing cue, I'm curious as to how well they play.
They look just as nice as some of the Joss, McDermott and Viking production cues.

Input anyone?

Snyder1
01-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Players cues are an outstanding value, as are Action. I have several of both. You've gotta remember, pool players are a very vane bunch ... anybody who plays a Joss or Meucci isn't gonna like an Action (but it sure is fun to win with a $100 cue ...)

JS

mksmith713
01-29-2005, 06:34 PM
$100.00???
I didn't pay much more than that for my Joss.
Actually, I got a new Joss and a Joss 2x4 case for $150.00 plus S&H.
I've seen Players and Action cues, new on eBay, in the $29.00 to 89.00 range, depending on how much decorative work they have.
I didn't realize how expensive they were in a Pro Shop.

cheesemouse
01-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Last Fall I bought a Player J/B with an elkmaster tip. I was thinking I just wanted something adequate to take to the bar for the four games of league pool instead of my 3x6 full of my good stuff. Four months later I use it full time with the addition of the bungee jump shaft. Now I have one butt, two shafts and I have all the tools I need for my game. I haven't taken my other equiptment out of the house in months. Now when I hit my other sticks at home they just don't have the hit I get from the $50 Player J/B...and so it goes...LOL

Pied Piper
01-29-2005, 08:15 PM
I actually use a Player's Tournament Series pool cue, and a lucasi break/jump cue with a double wrap (standard wrap, and a small wrap section in the forearm) I am pleasantly pleased with both. I believe or at least it was once told to me, that players cues use decals in some of their cues. Not really inlays at all. My particular model, has 6 points (looks like curly maple) that dissappear is a cocobolo looking forearm. The points are so sharp that they fade into the arm. Looking at the woods that are in my cue, and the price of other cues with the same woods but less work, I am actually starting to believe that it is decals and not real inlays. Also my Players Tournament Series has a uni-loc. On everysite, including predators they list PLayers as using a different joint. I don't know what that means, but it plays nice, and I have learned to love it. Except when someone else walks in with the same cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif