PDA

View Full Version : Ivory ferrules and pads

woody
01-29-2005, 11:29 AM
What are the tell tale signs of an ivory ferrule? I went to a local billiard supply store and asked if they sold the fibre pad. The sales woman asked the person who installs the tips and they said they just use a 3 x 5 index card for a pad. A popular catalogue that I buy stuff from only sells a pad if I buy the ivory ferrule. Please enlighten me about ivory and what to use for a pad. Thanks to all!!!!

tateuts
01-29-2005, 12:16 PM
You can see if your ferrule is ivory - it will have veins of tan colors running through it lengthwise that are very subtle and it polishes up nice and shiny.

A lot of people have ivory ferrules and don't even realize it. The other thing is buckhorn is often confused for ivory. Buckhorn has cloudy colors of tan and gray and it is harder and more durable than ivory, which is soft and brittle.

If you use a full thickness tip, especially a layered tip, I doubt you need a pad. Pads are made of a hard fibre and I wouldn't trust paper to even stay glued. The thing is don't let the tip get low or your ferrule might mushroom. Don't let the cue get too hot or cold either, the ivory will crack.

However, if you like a pad, you can buy them here:

Atlas Billiards (http://www.cuestik.com/cuestik/catalog.cfm?dest=dir&linkid=397&linkon=subsection)

You can also buy some tips - like Chandivert Champion, which have a fibre pad installed on it already.

Chris

Bob C
01-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Unless things have changed in the last 5 years, Atlas will not sell retail and only to a store front business. If there are ways around this, I was not able find them. At the time I was installing tips and wanted some pads. I got some from a friend or I would have tried to get them ordered through a third-party business contact. As for Chandivert, I understand they are out of business.

Bob C

Pied Piper
01-29-2005, 08:08 PM
I have also had some of friends go to home depot for some Fibre pads. They matched up the material with something. It came in a 12 x 12 sheet. I believe it was electrical insulation or something.
The black ferrules, I believe water buffalo horn, are they any good? Does anyone know of the pro's and cons of that type of ferrule?

Rip
01-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi Woody,
Send me a PM with a mailing address and I'll mail you several in each color.
Regards,
Rip

tateuts
01-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Atlas sold me tips and so forth about a year ago as just a private party. They still have Chandiverts. At one time there was a minimum order requirement - I don't know if there still is.

Chris

Popcorn
01-29-2005, 10:08 PM
I buy from Atlas from time to time and although I am a licensed business they have never asked me for anything. The do have minimum dollar amounts I think $50.00.

stickman
01-29-2005, 11:27 PM
If my memory serves me right, I seem to remember that it was a $50.00 minimum order.

SpiderMan
01-31-2005, 09:20 AM
Like several of the other posters, I buy the pads from Atlas. There may be cheaper sources, but at a dime apiece I don't mind paying retail for a bag or two. Atlas has a minimum order, but no other patronage requirements.

Many people do not understand the purpose of the pad. It is not a "shock absorber", it is a "stretch preventer".

I'm a believer in pads for ivory or other ferrules with a longitudinal grain, and for non-capped ferrules of any material. When a tip compresses with age and use, it does not just become shorter. That leather has to go somewhere, and the tip becomes wider (stretches in the "x" direction, ie "mushrooms"). Since the tip is glued to the ferrule, it tries to "take the ferrule with it" as it spreads. If the ferrule is capped, and made of one of the thermoset plastics, no problem. But if it isn't capped, or is made of something like ivory, my concern is that the spreading force of the tip may separate the ferrule from the tenon or crack the ferrule. Using a pad between tip and ferrule provides mechanical isolation, as the pad is made of a material not intended to stretch.

BTW, using an index card makes no sense at all. That's another example of a person who does not understand the function of the pad.

SpiderMan

dooziexx
01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
I purchased some fiber pads from Muellers, www.poolndarts.com. (http://www.poolndarts.com.) They cost like 25cents a piece. Its not listed on the site (at the time I bought it) but if you call them, they tell you how to order it etc...