PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten pool books? Best videos? Matches?

christopheradams
01-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Please post your top ten list for pool instruction books. Heres mine:
1. Play your best pool by Phil Capelle
2. Play your best 9 ball by phil capelle
3. The 8 ball bible
4. Willie Mosconi on pocket billiads
5. The 99 critical shots in pool by Ray Martin
6. The black widow's guide to killer pool by Jeanette Lee
(This books is also great on the mental side, competition, dealing with life ect.) Great on learning fudamentals and great shot of the black widow's grip)
7. Precision Pool
8. Pool Players Edge
9. A smarter way to learn pool by George Fels
10. Byrnes standard book of pool and billiards by Mr. byrne
Please post your suggestions so I can add to my collection of books.

Instruction videos:
Robert Byrnes whole series is great, haven't tried the pool workout tape yet though, is it any good?
CJ Wiley, Bert Kinister series, Play pool right, are all great. Any other recomendations for instruction vids?

Matches video or DVD
I love capelle on 9 ball Johnny archer vs. Efren Reyes great match and 25 or so shots explained by Phil Capelle. Great way to learn position and technique by watching these 2 pool greats.
I love watching Earl Stickland play, but don't blink or your miss a few racks. I also enjoy watching matches of
Corey deul, Karen corr, alison Fisher, Jeanette lee, Frankie Hernandez, Francisco Bustamante,
I really liked the us open with Gabe Owen and Thorston Hohmen. The Mosconi cup, Skins Champion ship are great because you can watch a lot of different people play.

recoveryjones
01-30-2005, 12:06 PM
BOOKS
Phil Capelle-Play Your Best Nine Ball- Absolutley the best book out there on the subject of nine ball, a must buy for sure.

Standard Book of Pool and Billiards, by Robert Byrne and
Advanced Technique in Pool and Billiards, by Robert Byrne

I recentley found these two books (Very Cheaply $$$) at a 2nd hand book store. I've only browsed through them, however, from what I've saw they seem to be excellent and well worth buying.

The Science of Pocket Billiards, by Jack Koehler- Excellent book explaining pool in a scientific way, very interesting.It also contains some great drills and systems.

99 Critical Shots in Pool, by Ray Martin- Excellent book for learning specialty shots that come up in certain situations. You will be able to make some shots you never even knew existed.

The Pro Book, by Bob Henning- Excellent book for learning reference shots for position play,banks kicks and safteys for the game of nine ball. Also has an good advice for training,mental game,breathing etc, everything that a pro pool player can do to play his very best.

Joe Tuckers, Racking Secrets- Extremley valuable books on the reading of racks for nine ball and eight ball. Unfortunatley it is out of print.

MENTAL GAME
The Inner Game of Tennis, Timothy Gallway- A must buy for anyone wanting to learn the mental game of pool. Excellent read.

Pleasures of Small Motions, by Bob Fancher- A very practical and realistic approach to the Mental game of pool.

Phil Capelle,A Mind for Pool- A good book on the mental game of pool as Phil explains things from every concievable angle.Personally he made a lot of good points,however, for me there was a little to much filler.I would get the above two books on the mental game first.

DRILLS
JOE TUCKER,Guaranteed Improvement, Contains 15 excellent drills that are sure to Guarantee improvement in your game.

Joe Tuckerís Aiming System- A book of moderate drills and some extremley difficult advanced drills.Lot's of rail shots and extreme cuts.I will get back to practising this one eventually, however, for right now it's been a humbling experience.If you want to get to the top level, do these drills. Joe also introduces his aiming system which matches ten contact points on the object ball to ten contact points on the cue ball based on which of the ten shooting zones you are in on the table.Joe was kind enough to send me this sampler as a gift, so it might not yet be available for purchase.

STEVE CAMPANA,Black Belt Billiards- Excellent book of drills sure to improve your game.You aquire various colors of belts
(white,brown,black etc) depending on your success rate on his suggested drills.

VIDEOS
Bert Kinister- I implement many,many Kinister drills in my practice routine and they have helped me immensley.Some of his tapes are excellent and some of them aren't that great.
Here's a reccommended list of Berts tapes by Bob Henning, author of "The Pro Book"

Volume 1 THE 60 MINUTE WORKOUT FOR 9-BALL AND 8-BALL"
(Named BEST tape for 9-Ball & 8-Ball by Poll & Billiard Magazine) 8/94
Vol 2 "RUN OUT 9-BALL"

Volume 5 "BUILDING THE SIX POINTED STAR"
Volume 6 "USING THE 6 POINTED STAR"
Volume 7 "BUILDING THE INTERIOR OF THE STAR"
Volume 8 "USING THE 9 POINTED STAR"
Volume 9 "SAFETY PLAY FOR 9-BALL & 8-BALL"
Volume 11 "ADVANCED FUNDAMENTALS"
Volume 12 "THE MIGHTY X"
Creates a killer stroke 2.) Super fine tunes your aim 3.) Teaches you how to use all english accurately 4.) Lean to control the interior of the table. 5.) You will draw the ball better than you believed possible.
Volume 18 "THE SHOTMAKERS WORKOUT"
These exercises have increased my studentís ability to pocket balls by as much as 65%
Volume 20 "THE ADVANCED 60-MINUTE WORKOUT FOR 9-BALL & 8-BALL"
Here are 20 shots with position that will get you the cash when it seems hopeless Volume 21 "WINNING PATTERNS FOR 9-BALL AND 8-BALL"
60 minutes of advanced pattern thinking designed to help you get the "Dough Re Mi".

I'm currently doing the 6 pointed star drills and I find them to be just excellent.

OTHER TEACHERS

Dr.Cue Tom Rossman- If you want to learn how to kick and bank, these are the best videos out there, bar none.

Grady Mathews- His videos are all good to excellent.Containing loads of information.

Don Feeney videos- Range from good to excellent

Robert Byrnes, Volumes 1,2 and 5 are good for your game, volumes 3 and 4 are trick shots

Fast Eddie Parker- The first part of the video is boring going over the basics, the 2nd part of the video is just excellent showing great kicking systems and specialty shots

Buddy Hall- Good to very good videos mainly for the aspiring nine ball player

Bob Henning, The pro Book Videos series- This video set compliments his book, "The Pro Book" Great for learning reference shots on runouts,safties, banks and kicks.Good for nine ball.

Jimmy Reid- Has good teaching on 8 and 9 ball and some interesting kicking systems.

In summary there is some good stuff on all videos and some just have more filler than others. Personally if I can learn one excellent thing per video it's well worth owning.

MATCHES
I really liked this years 2004 World Pool Championship. The match between Pagulayan and Chao was a classic.Alex showed alot of heart being down badly in the final and roaring back to beat Chang.These were the best players in the world and just watching the matches is educational.

Archer vs Reyes an instructional video by Phil Cappelle is very good as well. It's the complete match between Archer/Reyes eventually won by someone 11-10 and the 25 shots are later analyzed by Phil Cappelle for instructional purposes.

Accu stat videos are all good for educational purpose.

Allison Fisher matches are great for learning basic fundamentals and pre-shot routine.

Years ago there were secrets that the oldtimers kept hidden under their sleeves not telling anyone.Nowadays there are vitually no(or very few) secrets.Everything is available in books or instructional videos.My problem( being a collecter of tapes and books) is that I now have more information than I can possibly learn (practice) in a lifetime. RJ

Billy_Bob
01-30-2005, 12:42 PM
I was going to say the above for books too...

For videos...

Billiard Sanctuary Academy of the Cueing Arts Videos...
http://www.geocities.com/zimsrack/BSACAvideos.html

Jimmy Reid Videos...
http://www.freepoollessons.com/video/index.shtml

This sounds good, but I have not bought it yet...
Capelle on 9 Ball Book/DVD
(Middle of page...)
http://www.seyberts.com/instructional/books/capelle/

Bert Kinister Safety Videos...
http://www.seyberts.com/instructional/videos/bert/videos.htm

ceebee
01-30-2005, 01:45 PM
On books;

Phil Capelle's "Play Your Best Nine Ball" is a great book on the subject of nine ball, a must buy.

Advanced Technique in Pool and Billiards, by Robert Byrne is a great one too.

Target Pool by Kim Davenport. The recording of my progress really helped me stay focused.

The Science of Pocket Billiards, by Jack Koehler is an excellent book for explaining pool in scientific terms. That new knowledge helps a player understand why some things happen, which obviously can be employed for different situations too.

99 Critical Shots in Pool, by Ray Martin- Excellent book for learning pattern shots that come up in every game, that will stregthen your game.

Joe Tucker's book, "Racking Secrets" and his "Precision Break Shots" are being printed as 2 chapters in my new book, "The GREAT Break Shot".

Joe Tuckerís Aiming System- A book of moderate drills and some extremley difficult advanced drills. Lot's of rail shots and extreme cuts. Joe also introduces his aiming ball system which matches ten contact points on the object ball to ten contact points on the cue ball based on which of the ten shooting zones you are in on the table.

On videos;

Bert Kinister- most of his tapes are excellent. "The Mighty X", the Ladders & The Stars.

Bob Henning, author of "The Pro Book", has some supporting Videos for his book. Great combination.

Don Feeney videos- great way to get started or to brush up on fundamentals

Fast Eddie Parker- The 2nd part of this video is very good for learning kicking systems and mulitple rails systems. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DebraLiStarr
01-30-2005, 04:52 PM
I don't have a "Top 10", but I do have my favorites. My favorite books are Black Belt Billiards by Steve Campana, and Building the Perfect Game by David Sapolis. I also have Mastering Pool by George Fels. That is a great book. I like the Bert Kinister videos, as well as CJ Wiley's video series. Blackjack had a video called Mastering the Break and though it wasn't professionally produced it was very good instruction. My favorite matches? I could watch Tommy Kennedy winning the US Open against Johnny Archer over and over and never get tired of it. Efren Reyes Vs Jimmy Wetch from about 10 years ago, I taped it from TV and still I watch it. Ga Young Kim Vs Karen Corr from the 2003 US Open (because I can see me sitting in the crowd /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Anything with Allison or Karen is great to watch and it doesn't matter who they are playing either.

christopheradams
01-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Recovery Jones:
Thanks for that great list of books, videos, etc. I will definately check out some of those recommendations.

recoveryjones
01-30-2005, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> Recovery Jones:
Thanks for that great list of books, videos, etc. I will definately check out some of those recommendations.
<hr /></blockquote>

Not a problem Chris. I just got back from a local pool tourney where I unfortunatley lost both matches today. I was hooked badly (in jail for sure) and got out twice off of 3 rails thanks to Dr. Cues kicking videos and the kicking info posted at AZ billiards at these links:

http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=9115 (this link will take you to kicking academy Part 1)

http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/search.php?searchid=99050
(the above link will take you two the "Kicking Academy's lessons 2 to 8 inclusive)

http://www.jimloy.com/billiard/kick.htm
(another good link for kick shots)

If you play nine ball,be sure to check the Dr.Cue videos and "The Kicking Academy" info out. It is valuable information for sure. RJ

recoveryjones
01-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Ceebee, When your new book,"The GREAT Break Shot" comes out be sure to PM me.Your book with Joe Tuckers "Racking Secrets" and "Precision Break Shots" sounds like it's going to be one excellent book for sure. A must buy for 9 ballers. RJ

recoveryjones
01-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Her's the "Kicking Academy" link (parts 2-8) again as the last link I posted didn't work. Hopefully this one will:
http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/search.php?searchid=100623