PDA

View Full Version : What city or state is a top pool-playing location?

CarolNYC
01-30-2005, 03:26 AM
As far as surveys are concerned, if I were to ask "poolplayers" the who's who in pool,I would ask the players from cities or states where pool is popular-if the results were drastic, then I think that would be pretty sad for the pool world,so to my question:
New York is one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

JimS
01-30-2005, 06:22 AM
Leisure Time Billiards, East Moline Illinois is pretty hot. James Baraks, Jesse Bowman, Jamie Bowman, Josh Johnson, Jon Kucharo.

Airtime Billiards in Dayton sounds like a hot place too. Or is it Airline? Or???

Tom_In_Cincy
01-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Airways in Dayton, Oh.
The cities of Canton to Cleveland have 50 miles of pool players.
Cincinnati (and 100 miles in almost any direction) includes Louisville KY, Lexington KY, Columbus OH, Indianapolis IN. This area has produced more than its share of Banks and One Pocket action since the 60s.
Donnie Anderson, Joey and Gary Speath, Clem Metz, Troy Franks, Dee Atkins, Corey Deuel, Tommy and his father Whitey Stephensen, Mike Medly, Dallas, Bobby Renner, "Thorny", Wally In Cincy... and many more

Scott Lee
01-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Carol...Although many poolplayers think 'their' town is tops, I would say most ALL cities are places where pool is popular...small towns too! LOL See you in a month!

Scott Lee

johnnyt
01-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Tampa,FL with 7 billiard rooms.
Johnnyt

DialUp
01-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Phoenix area in AZ is pretty big. We have over 10 thousand players listed in our local rating system. I know of several regular league players and bar flies who are not in the rating system so there is no telling how many pool enthusiasts there are around here.

There is also some very good players like Scott Frost and Roger Griffis (he may have moved) along with many other "pro quality" players.

CarolNYC
01-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Yep,yep,yep and I think California and Texas are big ones too!

Carol

ceebee
01-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Tulsa, Ok is a great Pool Town, so is OK City.

The DFW area has 75 Pool Rooms in the yellow pages.

Denver & Colorado Springs are very good too.

wolfdancer
01-30-2005, 02:58 PM
First off, it's immoral to answer your own question
see "Robert's rules of Order"
There's a little town about 20 miles N. of here, where pool is very "hot"...but you won't find too many reg. size tables.
Most bars though have more then one table,with leagues and weekly tournaments providing the "action"
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world", and after spending a few years, both working and playing in pool halls, I'm having more fun now...so I'll vote for that town...unnamed because I'm afraid too many players from NYC, would move out here, introduce their strange rules, and spoil it for us "locals"....I been here a year now....

Harold Acosta
01-30-2005, 07:37 PM
<font color="red">1. Pool Palace - Old San Juan - 16 Gold Crown IV Tables.</font color>

<font color="blue">2. Criollo Sports Bar and Restaurant - Guaynabo, PR with 4 Black Gold Crown IV Tables and 4 Bar Tables </font color>

<font color="black">3. Rincon del Sur - Ponce, PR with 4 Brown Gold Crown IV Tables and 4 Bar Tables </font color>

<font color="purple">4. Players Sports &amp; Fam. Entertainment, Yauco, PR with 2 Brunswick Centurions and 8 Bar Tables </font color>

<font color="brown">5. La Gran Via de Aguada, Aguada, PR with 1 Gold Crown III, 4 Gandy, and 8 Bar Tables </font color>

<font color="#666666">6. The New Marion Club, Caguas, PR with 3 AMF Pro and 3 Bar Tables </font color>

Carol, and or anyone from this board:

If you are ever in Puerto Rico, please contact me. I'll steer you to the nearest location, and I will personally visit you there.

Puerto Rico is a small Island, and although it would take me up to 2 1/2 hours driving time to the farthest location, I will visit with anyone who lets me know in advance.

Harold - President Puerto Rican Billiard Federation
(Federacion Puertorriqueña de Billar)

wolfdancer
01-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Harold, a little off topic....but is there still a Golf course, at the "Castle El Morro"?...hope I got the name right
...and I'm sure the Caribe Hilton is long gone?
They served the greatest Planter's Punch ever, frseh fruit, great rum...with a nice view of the ocean in the background
and finally what is the Island name for Old San Juan? My memory fails me on that...thanks, jjd

wolfdancer
01-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Carol, this city and state ain't bad, for some pool action
Here's some results from their weekly tournaments:

Family Billiards, Monday, January 24:
40-player USPPA 9-ball

1st place - $255: Reid Stensrud (USPPA Avg, 55); 2nd - $130: Nick Callado (78); 3rd - $65: Elmer Diwa (71) &amp; Marshall Williams (100); 5th - $30: John Hayes (39), Patty West (47), Dante Alexandre (69), Jimmy Yee (47). We had eight in the money and the composite average of the final four was 76.

Family Billiards, Thursday, January 27:
51-player USPPA 9-ball
$200 added by breakpot kitty

1st place - $630: Jessie Killian (65); 2nd - $315: George Michaels (156); 3rd - $165: Rylan Hartnett (67) &amp; Marcelino Montoya (73); 5th - $25: Paul Vecchiarelli (70), Travis Reil (111), Sylvester Coronado (78), Mark Hernandez (100). This was Jessie's 2nd consecutive Thursday win, and she had a break &amp; run $25 bonus in the finals. She defeated Elmer Diwa (USPPA avg, 72), Gene Ventura (103), Tim Flaherty (51), Mark Hernandez (100, and Marcelino Montoya (73) before the final match with Michaels. There were eight in the money and the composite average of the final four was 90.

Family Billiards, Saturday, January 29:
56-player NPL 9-ball

1st place - $515: Ray Kawamoto (NPL rating, 49); 2nd - $260: Kenny Koo (59); 3rd - $130: Jeff Frenoza (27) &amp; R.K. Gin (56); 5th - $0: Sun Tse (34), Joe Newman (52), Marshall Williams (94), Seamus Timmins (66). There were four in the money and their composite average was 47. Ray lost his first match to Owen Bubar (44), then bought back and defeated Aaron Alston (39), Owen Bubar (44), Fred Jones (47), Joe Newman (52), and Jeff Fresnoza (27) before the final match with Kenny. This was our first end-of-the-month NPL tournament with a $25 entry, and another $50 went into the prize fund because we deducted only $6 for the player's bonus under the new leader board system. The extra-large cash prizes were appreciated by all.

Family Billiards
2807 Geary Blvd.
San Francisco, Ca

CarolNYC
01-31-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are ever in Puerto Rico, please contact me. I'll steer you to the nearest location, and I will personally visit you there. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Harold,
If Im ever in Puerto Rico, Im staying with YOU! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol~has never been to Puerto Rico /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-31-2005, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> ...Dee Atkins, Corey Deuel, Tommy and his father Whitey Stephensen, Mike Medly, Dallas, Bobby Renner, "Thorny", Wally In Cincy... and many more <hr /></blockquote>

LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom, I'm just about a ball or two below locals Bucky Bell and Eric Durbin also /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
01-31-2005, 07:36 AM
NYC, Dayton, Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, L.A./San Fran., Phenoix, FRankfurt (Germany), Philly, Baltimore, Hotlanta (area), Louisville (a week a year)not Longview, TX. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Deeman

Harold Acosta
02-01-2005, 07:26 PM
wolfdancer:

"El Castillo del Morro" is under the US National Parks Service, and no gulf course are now in the grounds.

The Caribe Hilton, is still here. Hilton Hotels bought back the Hotel from the Government of Puerto Rico and mayor renovations were made in the past year. They shut down completely and made the renovations. They also purchased surrounding properties, and there will be Luxury Village type units, shopping mall, etc. Huge plans that are currently under way.

Harold Acosta
02-01-2005, 07:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
If you are ever in Puerto Rico, please contact me. I'll steer you to the nearest location, and I will personally visit you there. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Harold,
If Im ever in Puerto Rico, Im staying with YOU! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol~has never been to Puerto Rico /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You are welcomed any time Carol!

wolfdancer
02-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Harold, thanks....just reading about the old Hilton....
I can picture that beautiful bar, and almost taste the
Planter's Punch.........
maybe, some day.............

CarolNYC
02-02-2005, 02:52 AM
DITTO!
Carol~thank you Harold! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
02-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Tom you left out the Great Don Willis who was in the Canton Football Hall of Fame and the road Partner of Jimmy Moore and Luther Lassiter. His best game was 3/6/9/and respotting of balls knocked in out of order. You could lose 9 or 10 ways and think it was luck.

With a deck of cards in his hand he was unbeatable.####

DickLeonard
02-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Carol in the 60s the Action Capital of the World was Detroit, Michigan. There was a room/club where the action never stopped. Millions of dollars was won and lost there. I know Peter Rabbitt left NYC to go there and was still there years later.####

Tom_In_Cincy
02-02-2005, 10:11 AM
####
How could I forget the original "Cincinnati Kid", Don Willis?
Good read about Mr. Willis

Don Willis Bio (http://www.gcaba.com/willis.htm)

Voodoo Daddy
02-02-2005, 11:08 AM
No Doubt NY, Cali and Tx. Florida used to "the" hot bed for 9-Ball but now its just a target for Hurricanes and old Canadians, HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Jack Jr
02-02-2005, 01:19 PM
If you wanna pole the best city or state of all time, it has to be New Jersey and New York.

Go back to the era of the 1960's and 1970's... try to top this list...

Top United States PROS....
Steve Mizerak
Alan Hopkins
Jack Colavita
Ray Martin
Pete Margo
Cisero Murphy
Frank McGowen
Onofrio Lauri

Next level caliber...
Tom Jennings
Pat Fleming
Gene Nagy
Ernie Costa
Danny Gartner
Joe Russo
Steve Marino
and the list goes on...

CarolNYC
02-02-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
old Canadians <hr /></blockquote>

Uh, I think older NYers,too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi Dick,
I never heard of Peter Rabbitt-is Detroit still an action capitol?
What about Chicago?

Carol

Barbara
02-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Carol,

Peter Rabbit is a player that was hanging around the Philly rooms a couple of years ago. Don't know if he's still hanging in the rooms or at the tracks or playing cards in the backs of the rooms. Quite the character and could make some propositions in any room.

Barbara

DickLeonard
02-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Jack Jr. Everytime I played in an event in Mike Ashes room out of towners were screwed by the refs. When your opponent was shooting the referee would call playing the 7 ball run of 1, playing the 10 ball run of 2. The only time a player called the ball before the shot when it wasn't obvious.

The out of towner would be playing the obvious 7 ball and the ref would call playing the 15 ball and you would have to correct the ref thereby distracting your mind.

Then as a spectator in other matches you would begin to see the pattern of the local having no ref trouble and the out of towner always having the distraction.####

DickLeonard
02-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Peter played at the Golden Cue in Queens someone on the Board would know his real name. I think that room has since closed.####

Eric.
02-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Yep. It closed about 2 years ago, Dick. Now everyone goes to Masters in Queens.

Eric

Eric.
02-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Seems like most of the action is in Missippi or Louisiana (New Orleans area). The NY metro area has been dead for action.

If you're talking about Pool in general, I think an honorable mention goes to MO (Kansas City). Pool is alive and thriving there. Mostly bar table stuff but KC has a nice mix of tournies and a little action. Dave Matlock has been hanging around KC lately. I don't know if he moved or just has been traveling.

Eric

Barbara
02-03-2005, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Peter played at the Golden Cue in Queens someone on the Board would know his real name. I think that room has since closed.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Peter Rabbit's real name is Peter Linhard.

Barbara

DickLeonard
02-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks Barb I knew it would come to me it is close to lenard. I glad you joined the APA it is keeping Larry Hubbard rich.####

cheese_ball
02-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Chi-town represent! Any fellow Midwesterners here?

DickLeonard
02-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Tom thanks for that great link. I always said that Don Willis would always say Jimmy Moore always said if he knew what Joe Canton knew about straight pool Mosconi would never beat him. I would always smile for I knew what Joe knew having played for nearly two straight years 6 hours a night.

The only thing Joe did wrong was he never developed a left handed game. Being only 5ft3 put him at a terrible disadvantage playing on 5x10 tables. Then they switched to 4 1/2x9 with the short rails and he won the National Title. The next table was the Brunswick Centenials with their large rails it put the outside dimensions back to 5x10. He was then with bridge in hand and the Gold Crowns weren't any difference.####

DickLeonard
02-03-2005, 11:35 AM
This is my Peter Rabbit story. He is playing Jimmy Relihan, "the Springfield Rifle" at the Golden Cue in Queens
Jimmy asks him to call the hit, no sooner had he hit the cueball Peter yelled no hit.

Then they got into Peter saying if you wanted an unbiased opinion you should have called the houseman. It took 20 minutes before the match resumed.####

Jimmy Mendoza
02-03-2005, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> As far as surveys are concerned, if I were to ask "poolplayers" the who's who in pool,I would ask the players from cities or states where pool is popular-if the results were drastic, then I think that would be pretty sad for the pool world,so to my question:
New York is one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

If Phoenix, Arizona has an opposite, then that must be *THE* top pool-playing location! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
02-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Hi Dick,
It must have been before my time=the only time I played at Golden cue was in "99 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif:(
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
02-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Did Peter win?
Carol

nAz
02-04-2005, 02:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> This is my Peter Rabbit story. He is playing Jimmy Relihan, "the Springfield Rifle" at the Golden Cue in Queens
Jimmy asks him to call the hit, no sooner had he hit the cueball Peter yelled no hit.

Then they got into Peter saying if you wanted an unbiased opinion you should have called the houseman. It took 20 minutes before the match resumed.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Dick is rabbit the same guy who wrote "How to Get by Without Working: A Hustler's Memoirs" ? i think that was the name of the book.