PDA

View Full Version : LEVELING A VALLEY TABLE?????

05-28-2002, 12:43 PM
OK folks i need help. i'm sure many of you loyal CCB'ers have the knowledge and expertise to help with this one. we have 6 Valley bar boxes in our lodge. since bocoming lodge sports director i've had all these tables recovered using simonis, replaced the rails with superspeed rubber and shimed all pockets. these tables play excellent with the exception of 1 table. this table appears to be as level as the others when checked using 4 levels placed in front of the center pockets and at both short rails. using a striped ball slow rolled down the long rails, diamond to diamond head to foot, you only see a slight rolloff at the center diamond. do not see any roll off foot to head. when rolling this striped ball along the short foot rail at 1/2 diamond from the corner pockets the the roll off is almost 1 diamond up table toward the head string. makes no difference from which long rail you start from roll off is same. whenever you get past the first diamond roll is true. we've measured across the corner pockets looking for warpage without luck. next step is to have a friend bring in a contractors laser level. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS???????

Tom_In_Cincy
05-28-2002, 05:51 PM
Tough for me to answer HOW to level a Valley Table.. I've never done it. Nor have I seen it done..

Did you say that you had recovered the table and put in new rails?

If you did the covering.. did you get the cloth tight? all the way around?

If you had someone (a Valley table mechanic) do the cloth and rail installation.. call them and ask about leveling the tables also..

Wish I could be more help..

05-28-2002, 08:56 PM
Are these tables 1,2, or 3 piece slate? If 1, I think you have a big problem my friend. Don't be surprised if even after you get them all level, they're off again in a month. Valley is pretty notorious for that.

Brady_Behrman
05-28-2002, 09:13 PM
Some older tales have levelers in the middle of the table. These little levelers that I have come across have been about 10 inches long by 2 inches wide. They are a pain. The last Table I came across like this was about 50+ years old. It was scheduled for a Regular Recovery. 3 hours later we finally got it. Usually it takes 1 hr. at the most to cover a bar box. Anyway there were roughly 8 or so of these levelers. If you look underneath the Rail you can see a very small space, If the space grows and shrinks up and down the Table then its a similar table.With these Levelers, YOU CAN "BEND the SLATE" minorly and would fix your PROB!. How old is your table? Can you take a few pictures of it. YOU MAY BE MISSING SOME LEVELERS. You will have to take apart the table and see if they are there. If you still have problems or dont see em, Take a picture of the Table without the slate in it and send the pics to me.
Sometimes when you take the slate off these tables the Levelers stick to the slate then fall inside the table. I have done Hundreds of Bar Tables in my short 25 yr. Life.

LOORI:ALL VALLEYS are ONE PIECE slate, even 9 footers..OUCH

ANOTHER HELPFUL NOTE:
Also, Make sure that ANY excess glue that was used to cover the table in the past was SCRAPED off. Only spray aout 2 inches from the edge of the table and make sure you get the edges When you get to the pockets, DO NOT spray where the ball will travel. Use a piece of cardboard (Preferably 8 inches long by 5 inches wide or so) and hold above pocket so NO excess glue gets on the table or on the lip where the ball enters the pocket.Only spray the edge and underneath the pocket, not above the pocket. Only wrap the cloth around the slate in the pockets. Dont use DUCK tape, seen it...Use the bottom edge of the slate as your cutting surface. Use Super 74 adhesive by 3M, dont settle for anything else.Super 77 does not last.

If I can help anymore, email me at
Brady@q-masters.com

05-28-2002, 09:39 PM
Wow. One piece slate on a nine footer. That must be fun to transport! LOL Thanks Brady, every day I add to my cache of useless knowledge (otherwise known as trivia) which, IMO is often the most useful knowledge of all! How was the race? My Dad watched it on TV, along with 12 hours of other testosterone fueled programming. Good day for Dad.

Brady_Behrman
05-28-2002, 09:48 PM
The RACE was incredible...The atmosphere, the smell, the 200,000+ people. Coltrain and some of his pals went with my friend and I. IT WAS A BLASt..Plastic Bottle beers for 5, wendys burger and fries, NO drink 8.00, subway turkey sand and chips 6.00, coke 3.00. Infield passes 50 each, Program 10.00, Atmosphere, PRICELESS! My driver Dale Jr. was running great in 3 rd and went to pass a lapped car and the lapped car came up on him and nudged the wall. That screwed him all up. Then he fell back to 20th or so and kept pitting came back through the field like a bat outa hell got to 6th and broke Power steering and bracket assembly and crank pully. Thats what they were saying on the radio anyway. Dale said over his radio, F'en D head! He was cussing the rest of the race then settled down and made a good come back.
It was a Blast though...Cant wait til next year!

VALLEYS big or small can be tough to move, ofcourse the bigger they get, the worse they are!

05-28-2002, 09:51 PM
Sounds awesome! I'm jonesing for Raceway Park now. Maybe I'll run my baby this year!

Chris Cass
05-28-2002, 11:20 PM
Hi Simsd,

Not trying to be a smart aleck are you using a plug ball to see if the table rolls off?

Regards,

C.C.

06-03-2002, 10:13 AM
sorry for the delay in responding had to make a trip to canada
No, i am using a strip ball