PDA

View Full Version : League Forfiets - How to police them?

woody
01-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I am in a Sunday afternoon local pool league. The league has some trouble with a few of the teams forfieting games when they play the top teams. The league is set up to shoot 3 sets at 5 games a set, and is partners. Players can only play 1 game a set. A team is allowed to pick out of a hat once each half. We are looking for ways to 'punish' the teams forfieting the games without hurting the team getting the forfiet. Here is the way I look at it. The league gives trophies to the top 15 shooters, but a forfiet only gives the team a win not any individuals, which is only right. As the captain for the top team I have players who want to play. I have a good team and confidence in my players to play and win to help their average rather than taking the easy way out and giving the team a win and having to sit the players who want to play. I don't want to make this long and go into all the scenerios but does anyone have any ideas how to prevent forfiets?

GeraldG
01-30-2005, 09:33 AM
What does the forfeiting team gain from the forfeit? Why would they routinely forfeit as you describe?

JPB
01-30-2005, 12:21 PM
don't play in leagues.

seriously.

dg-in-centralpa
01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
The leagues I play in, we don't give out trophies, we give out money. So the further down the roster you end up, the less you win. Not a failsafe method, but we hardly have any forfeits in either league.

DG

woody
01-30-2005, 08:36 PM
I ask the same question, cause the answer is Nothing. We have heard all kinds of excuses.

GeraldG
01-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Do you think it's the teams getting together ahead of time and agreeing to do this (the forfeiting team and the team they forfeited to)?