PDA

View Full Version : Royal Oak tips

stickman
01-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Anyone ever try Royal Oaks? I've had some for a long time, but only had occasion to put one on just recently. They trim and shape nicely. I put one on for a friend. He beat me in a tournament yesterday, after just putting one on. He reported that the grip was excellent, and it held it's shape throughout the tournament. He also breaks with his shooting stick. My only gripe is that the tips are very short. They have a wide radius, and by the time you shape them to a more conventional radius, the sidewall is very short for a new tip.

SpiderMan
01-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Stick,

In my opinion they are among the poorer tips available, regarding durability. Perhaps the only worse ones are some of the canadian Brunswick (green box) tips, which appear to be punched from hush puppy shoes.

I once re-tipped all the cues at my employer's rec center with Royal Oaks. Over the course of a few weeks, every one of them became extremely flattened and mushroomed. I guess I'd have to use the term "pancaked". Yeah, it looked like an oversized pancake had been glued on the ferrule. I was incredibly embarassed - this was my first tip job other than on my personal cues, and I was stupid to put on 20 tips of a type I had no personal experience with.

That was 15 or 20 years ago, I was young and dumb, but I've never made that mistake again. Before changing anything (tip, glue, technique), I first try it out on a personal cue, then do a freebie or two for "guinea-pig" friends, then offer it for sale.

SpiderMan

stickman
01-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the input Marty. This was the first one I put on. My friend was pleased with the tip, we'll see how it wears. I offered to let him try it, at no cost to see how he liked it, but he insisted on paying me. I'll do a retip at no charge, if he later desides he doesn't like it. Can you suggest another medium tip?

Jim

SpiderMan
01-31-2005, 01:03 PM
I hate to sound like Fast Larry, but you know it really is hard to beat a Triangle (oops, I mean a friggin' Triangle).

Though people refer to them as hard, it really depends on how tall you leave it, the crown, and the diameter. If the ferrule is 13mm or smaller, and you leave it tall, and especially if you crown it to a dime, a Triangle "feels" medium rather than hard. Triangles come pretty thick, so it's easy to leave them a little tall.

SpiderMan

stickman
01-31-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm a big fan of Triangles. I put them on the house cues, because they hold up well. I have some that like LePros, some like Elk Masters, some like rock hard water buffaloes. This person wanted a medium, and Royal Oak was the only medium density listed by Muellers, other than layered tips. I guess I'm still curious if someone can recommend another non-layered medium.

SpiderMan
01-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Triumph is softer than LePro, harder than Elk Master. I played with one for a while and liked it OK.

In the past I've had a minor problem with the leather coming unglued from the (supplied) red pad, but only during burnishing if it got too warm. I think they're joined with the equivalent of contact cement.

SpiderMan

stickman
01-31-2005, 04:25 PM
We'll give them a try. Thanks