PDA

View Full Version : Marking a 4X8 table for snooker

zoldy
01-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Hello everyone... I purchased a new 4x8 table and most recently purchased snookers balls. I know it is not ideal on a 4x8 but still a great game anyway.. I am not able to find any information on how to mark the table... all measurements I find are for the larger table... any suggestions... My table currently only has 2 dots on it.... thanks in advance for your help

slipstroke
01-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Check with Mueller Recreational Products. On page 114 of their 2004 catalog they have a D Boards listed for various size tables. Their web site is www.poolndarts.com. (http://www.poolndarts.com.)
Hope this helps.
Slipstroke

zoldy
01-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Are you saying I need to order there catalog to get this information...?

slipstroke
01-30-2005, 11:43 AM
I would think not. It should be on their web site also. You can phone them at 1-800-627-8888. They also have an email address which is info@poolndarts.com.

mksmith713
01-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Check out Muellers website.
You do need to make the pockets smaller.

zoldy
01-30-2005, 01:14 PM
no luck ... I searched the site .. found nothing..

does anyone not know what the measurements are?

zoldy
01-30-2005, 01:24 PM
I can beleive how hard this information is to get... does anyone know the size of the D?

Or the back spot how to place it. Is it half the distance from the racking spot to the rail?

B0B_PERKINS
01-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi Zoldy... This information primarily comes from BCA rules and records book. The measurements are relevant to the overall size of the table. On an International 6 X 12 The "D" has an 11.5 inch radius. The back spot is 57.5 inches from the centre spot. The foot spot is 23.375 inches from the centre spot. The brown spot/baulk line is 41.25 inches from the centre spot.

On an American 5 X 10 The "D" has an 9.5 inch radius. The back spot is 47.75 inches from the centre spot. The foot spot is 30,25 inches from the centre spot. The brown spot/baulk line is 34.75 inches from the centre spot.

My own table is a 4 1/2 X 9 and the "D" has an 8 inch radius. The back spot is 41.5 inches from the centre spot. The foot spot is 25 inches from the centre spot. The brown spot/baulk line is 29.75 inches from the centre spot.

I am curious though whether your table is a snooker or standard pool table and if the snooker balls you bought are the same size as the standard balls you already have for your table. It's important that the balls appropriately match the rail height so as not to jam under the rails if too small or go flying of the table if too large.

Hope this is of some help. ...Bob

recoveryjones
01-30-2005, 10:33 PM
I don't know if this will help, but here is a link
http://www.snookergames.co.uk/tuition.html
that shows a snooker table which will help you make a guesstimate if you can't find any such other helpful info.
If you get pool size snooker balls your happening.

I used to have a 4x8 pool table and used to play snooker on it. I would only rack 10 reds(instead of 15) otherwise the table became much too congested making it hard to run blacks.

I remember running all ten reds and the colors right down to the blue for a run of 83 points. I made the blue (however it bounced in and out of the pocket) and came up perfect on the pink. I would have had a 101 point run, until that blue bounced out.Had to hit it (too Damned) hard because of dead rails on a cheap wood table..LOL.

Snooker is a great game, good luck and enjoy, RJ

recoveryjones
01-30-2005, 11:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote B0B_PERKINS:</font><hr> Hi Zoldy... This information primarily comes from BCA rules and records book. The measurements are relevant to the overall size of the table. On an International 6 X 12 The "D" has an 11.5 inch radius. The back spot is 57.5 inches from the centre spot. The foot spot is 23.375 inches from the centre spot. The brown spot/baulk line is 41.25 inches from the centre spot.

Above are the measurements for markings on a 6x12 snooker table kindly provided to you from Bob Perkins.A 4x8 pool table is two-thirds (2/3) the length of a twelve footer and two-thirds the width of a twelve footer.
Based on the above measurements of the twelve footer here's roughly how you MIGHT want to mark you eight footer.

On an two thirds(on a 12 ft.) 4 X 8 The "D" will be mathematically reduced down to 7.705 inch semi-CIRCLE radius.(how far apart you space the yellow brown and green, I don't know...check that snooker link diagram for visual estimates) The back spot will now be 38.525 inches from the centre spot. The foot spot will now be 15.661 inches from the centre spot. The brown spot/baulk line will now be 27.6375 inches from the centre spot.

I arrived at these numbers by multiplying all the above snooker numbers by .67 which is roughly two thirds. Use these numbers at your own risk because I didn't have a calculator and I've only been clean and sober for 4 1/2 years...LOL.I only provided them for you as alternative guidlines in case you are unfortunate to find the official measurements.

Maybe mark them out with erasable chalk and compare them to the table on that snooker site I earlier suppled for visual perception of my mathematical estimates.Best of luck, RJ

Here's some more pictures of Snooker tables at these links:
http://www.rileyleisure.com/senatorsnooker.htm

email these sites for info as they sell 8' tables:
http://www.titansports.co.uk/acatalog/corinthian_snooker_tables.html

http://billiardgate.com/shop/us/

Also here's a link to some snooker clubs, I'm sure if you email someone from those websites, they can help.
http://directory.google.com/Top/Sports/Billiards/Snooker/Clubs/

BLACKHEART
01-31-2005, 07:16 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifI set up a friends 9'er &amp; we did something a little different. We made the spot for 8 ball &amp; 9 ball a 1/4" circle with a permanent marker. Then for all of the snooker spots we used a permanent ink marker,but only made a small dot. For the "D",instead of drawing in a definite LINE, we made the arch &amp; line of the "D" using dots about 3" apart. That way at 1st glance the snooker markings don't interfere with the other games, but are easy to find when changing games. It works great...JER