PDA

View Full Version : Cue Stolen An Know Who, What Now?

Sid_Vicious
01-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Yesterday we had our usual chip tourneyment, and once we were finished one of the non regular, but local figures, gathered up and took my break cue. A new but familiar bartender from yesteryear ("Hope that's not one of our cues he's taking she muttered to another worker there")noticed him collecting wall sticks over in a corner in a bundle(smoke screen for the impending crime IMO) from where we were all breaking(small 4 table area, so logic dictates that he knew somebody owned the 2-piece SP) and another solid regular from the play area also saw him break it down and walk out with it, my regular/witness player was wondering at the time about that event since the dude came in W/O any cues. Question, "Since he's not a regular face whom I know except by reputation(which is shady at best), what do I do when I run into this guy again? Mind you, this is a shut and closed case as to who took it. Skuttle-butt from my witness who knows the crowd this guy hangs with, is that he's gonna deny it, but still that one solid witness who KNOWS he's the one. Do I write it off or get in this guy's face?

Btw FYI, I'd moved back from the tournament area to another table and collected what I could carry of my three cues I always pull out for competition, the breaker being on my last trip, but in those few minutes, both he and my stick walked out.

How much of a confrontation do I give to this basic, but known-in-the-area joker? Since I am a regular and the bar knows all about this, is one thing I can do is try to give the dude a hard time through the PH management concerning his acceptance into the PH, assuming he shows up there again? Would you figure it ain't worth the trouble and simply try and hope that he'll either listen to those who confront him(the LD's of the tournament said they'd try to get it back for me, slim chance in the witnesses opinion.)

What would you do in this case? Even though this was a look alike one piece, this was simply too obvious that he'd harvested one of the toutnament player's cues, a 10 man field so most everyone was well known to each other besides the schister himself.

How would you approach this a-hole next time, possibly at another PH around town?

Sid

dg-in-centralpa
01-30-2005, 11:16 AM
I would ask for the cues return, no questions or else since you have a witness, call the police.

DG

Sid_Vicious
01-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Spiderman suggested that as well, only thing is, this is an asian who speaks broken english and uses a road name, so how would you ID him to the cops anyway? Maybe you are suggesting the bluff and nothing more.

Thanks,
Sid

Pelican
01-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Simply tell him that you want the cue returned or the other players will beat the dog**** out of him. No problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

mksmith713
01-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I'd start with a simple,"Dude, you wanna give my cue back".
If that doesn't work, you can try the Law. You have a witness, so it's not like he's off the hook with a simple lie.
If that doesn't work, well, the next step would depend on how much the cue cost and what it's worth.
It may have only cost $100., but it may be worth a whole lot more to you.
It it's worth the trouble, you make his life very uncomfortable.
There's a number of ways to do that.
Anything from keeping a close eye on him and letting him know it, all the way up to breaking parts of his body.

Either way, you can't let it slide.
That gives him license to take whatever he wants.

I don't know about you, but the threat of having my fingers broken doesn't appeal to me. I don't it would appeal to any pool player.

Stretch
01-30-2005, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Yesterday we had our usual chip tourneyment, and once we were finished one of the non regular, but local figures, gathered up and took my break cue. A new but familiar bartender from yesteryear ("Hope that's not one of our cues he's taking she muttered to another worker there")noticed him collecting wall sticks over in a corner in a bundle(smoke screen for the impending crime IMO) from where we were all breaking(small 4 table area, so logic dictates that he knew somebody owned the 2-piece SP) and another solid regular from the play area also saw him break it down and walk out with it, my regular/witness player was wondering at the time about that event since the dude came in W/O any cues. Question, "Since he's not a regular face whom I know except by reputation(which is shady at best), what do I do when I run into this guy again? Mind you, this is a shut and closed case as to who took it. Skuttle-butt from my witness who knows the crowd this guy hangs with, is that he's gonna deny it, but still that one solid witness who KNOWS he's the one. Do I write it off or get in this guy's face?

Btw FYI, I'd moved back from the tournament area to another table and collected what I could carry of my three cues I always pull out for competition, the breaker being on my last trip, but in those few minutes, both he and my stick walked out.

How much of a confrontation do I give to this basic, but known-in-the-area joker? Since I am a regular and the bar knows all about this, is one thing I can do is try to give the dude a hard time through the PH management concerning his acceptance into the PH, assuming he shows up there again? Would you figure it ain't worth the trouble and simply try and hope that he'll either listen to those who confront him(the LD's of the tournament said they'd try to get it back for me, slim chance in the witnesses opinion.)

What would you do in this case? Even though this was a look alike one piece, this was simply too obvious that he'd harvested one of the toutnament player's cues, a 10 man field so most everyone was well known to each other besides the schister himself.

How would you approach this a-hole next time, possibly at another PH around town?

Sid <hr /></blockquote>

I would first give him a chance to save face. Give him an easy out for making a "mistake" and see if he goes for that. If not just explain that you have eye witnesses, intend to press charges, as well as spread the word to every pool hall and pool player within a hundred mile radias that he's a low life thief with a fondness for other peoples cues. That ought to get his attention along with the fact that if your cue should "mysteriously" show up at your local hall, expensive medical bills could be avoided. St.

DialUp
01-30-2005, 01:31 PM
I would get another 2 piece cue and use the business end on his skull... Then ask for your cue back... A lesson must be learned. Just giving it back is letting him off easy... A good lesson, however, will stick with him for his remaining days...

ceebee
01-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Sid, maybe you can get a digital picture of him, by enlisting a friend's help, if you don't have a camera.

Then approach him when you have a printed copy of him &amp; ask for your cue to be returned, maybe saying, "I know that you picked my personal cue up &amp; left with it, I have witnesses".

Taking my cue is a FELONY &amp; I have your picture to give to the Police Department. Then show him the printed picture and say something like this. "WE can do it the easy way or the hard way, it's your choice". The printed picture shows that you can identify him &amp; get his proper name.

Address him with all this info, in front of the establishment's management &amp; some other bystanders (document the witnesses' contact info).

If this guy is a puke, letting him off easy might short-circuit any reprisal that might come forth.

Friction
01-30-2005, 02:46 PM
If he is a semi-regular, then just wait untill the next time he is around and call the cops when he is there. if he leaves in the process send someone with a cell phone to tail him.

SecaucusFats
01-30-2005, 03:38 PM
If you call the police, chances are they won't do anything about it. The guy probably sold the cue already anyway.

I would beat the living crap out of the guy, let him know why, and let it go at that. I would also make sure there's no one else around to witness the beating. But hey, that's just how I would handle it. You may wish to handle it in a different manner.

wolfdancer
01-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Sid, watch your cue case...
A few years ago, someone broke into my car, and stole the radio
came back the next nite, and got the speakers.....and then a week or so later got the radio holder and trim (toyota)
Your guy now needs a cue case, and.....
My brother could get it back for you, he has a way with words
Currently on probation for beating up three bouncers, that tried to throw him out...well at least he got the best of them...
On the other hand, i like the idea of, saying to him " maybe you picked up my cue by accident the other night, a couple of players happened to notice......" Then, if he refuses to give it back....shoot him.....most judges that play pool, will rule it justifiable homicide....

Popcorn
01-30-2005, 04:02 PM
You see what you can do legally, maybe confront the person with what you "Think" you know and just see what happens. Beyond that there is nothing you can do. When ever I read threads like these and see responses like yours I have to laugh. 1. You are not going to go beat the hell out of him regardless what you say. 2. You don't even know if this is the guy and he did it. 3. If you did do what you say you would do, how far are you willing to go, are you willing to kill? I would say it will not end there, and you may end up getting by far the worst of it. If you are lucky he will just have you arrested, more likely he will put you in the hospital or worse when he has a chance with a bat a gun or whatever. You never want to start a feud, at some point it will end badly.

Sid_Vicious
01-30-2005, 04:23 PM
The violent answers never were taken seriously, even though the guy is a wimp in stature. Losing a $150 cue is unappealing but asking for an assault and battery charge is not where I'm headed with this dude. I'll probably try several things though, I do have a dig camera and can carry that easily. Besides that idea and the legal threat, I'll simply let those players and/or management people I know at various PHs I know what the guy did when he is there. Whoever said he'd already sold it is more than likely right, so getting the cue back is slim to none, I accept that. I ain't done with his local reputation though! sid

tateuts
01-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Sid,

It couldn't happen to me. I put my case against the wall in plain sight, and I put my break cue under my table (less chance of it getting damaged). None of my equipment, which is pretty expensive and nostalgic stuff, ever leaves my sight. If I can't leave my equipment with a trusted person while I take a break, I break it down and take it with me - Yes, even into the bathroom.

If you decide to talk to this person about the possibility he took your cue, I would recommend doing so with an open mind. Just ask him if he "ended up with your break cue by mistake". You will be able to judge by his response and body language if he did it or not.

By the way, I've been on the receiving end of a false stealing accusations twice when I was a young man. It was not a good feeling and it was totally unjustified. In both cases some amateur sleuth jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

Chris

ras314
01-30-2005, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'll simply let those players and/or management people I know at various PHs I know what the guy did when he is there. Whoever said he'd already sold it is more than likely right, so getting the cue back is slim to none, I accept that. I ain't done with his local reputation though! sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like the most reasonable approach to me. Legal methods might be appropriate if he gets belligerent.

GeraldG
01-30-2005, 08:50 PM
UNfortunately, when all is said and done, you're probably going to end up just eating this one. There's really not a lot you can do. It makes you feel better to think about cracking his lowlife skull....but that's about it. That would be the biggest mistake of your life.

I would just let him know that you know he took it and that you are making everyone else aware that he is a thief and can't be trusted...and that's probably realistically all the satisfaction you're going to get.

Just chalk it up to experience and NEVER leave your cues unattended. I caught a guy playing with my cue once, but I don't think he was trying to steal it. I think he was just a moron that thought it was a house cue or something (a $3,000.00 Danny Tibbitts cue). I confronted him in a much less than friendly manner and got my cue back, but after it was over I realized that what I did and said could have been a mistake...it could have easily escalated into a fight and everyone would have come out a loser. And, after all, it was MY FAULT...I left my cue unattended for about 5 minutes. I haven't done that since.

onepocketfanatic
01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Chalk this one up to experience. The cue is gone, and chances are you aren't going to get it back. Violence is only going to get you put in jail most likely, and would end up costing you more in legal fees than the cue.My case and the two cues are worth about $4,000, but I would never personally resort to violence to recover them. That just doesn't make any common sense (unless you want to be someones "girlfriend" while incarserated).
When I play the case, and anything else not in use goes under the table. When needing to leave for something (like the head) I ask someone to keep an eye on the cues that are out. Most of the time I ask more than one person, almost like asking the entire room. If it is just me and one other person playing, I will wait till he returns before leaving (since both mine and his cue would now be available for someone with sticky fingers).
Unfortunaley there are often some very shady people that frequent halls. Never leave anything to doubt when away from your belongings. When playing, if I have more than one stick out, the one that is not in use is always in a spot that it would be very difficult for someone to pick it up without me seeing them.
Live and learn by the experiences you have in life...unfortunately some of them are expensive.

JimS
01-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Call the police! Period. No more talk. Call the police.

Chris Cass
01-31-2005, 03:15 AM
Hi Sid,

Sorry to hear this. Tell you what I would do. I know many worthless guys too and how they operate. First, I'd talk to the management and tell them the story. You have to inform them of a possible problem trying to get your property back.

I would simply state to them. I want my cue back and I spend quite a bit of time here, along with spending my hard earned money. I expect to be backed on this. When the guy comes back. Walk up to him and tell him that there's several people that seen him, walk out with the SP on his last visit. While helping put back the house cues.

I'd tell him that mistakes happen and that you just want the cue back. Then, if he denies taking it with some lame excuse? I see no other action but to ask management what they plan to do? If they fail to take sides then, you'll just have to write it off. Also, let it be known that efveryone needs to make sure to keep a close watch on their equipment. It isn't safe in this PH.

Management doesn't like hearing that, but fact is fact. There's very few places that you can leave your equipment laying around and not expect it to be taken. Next time, make some idenifying marking or something that you can say to anyone, I can prove it's mine. Perhaps, writing the last 4 of SS# under the butt rubber baby bumper.(sorry, little levity) Name in the joint collar where it comes togather. Perhaps, a small dot with a red magic marker inside the joint.

Calling the police is a tough one. I think management would rather help you get it back then have to call the cops one more time to the place.

Regards,

C.C.~~doesn't leave nothing within the distance of 1 meter away. also has someone that will watch my stuff when I take the bathroom break. Oh, the Boti goes with me everywhere. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif God, that cue is hitting perfect.

Sid_Vicious
01-31-2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks. Anyone who knows me know how well I look after my equipment while in the PH. This time was simply the stars lining up wrong, cuz the small gathering we had there were all trusted players, except obviously this particular one. Ironic thing was that this dude had asked me to show him how to use the jumper and I spent some time with him personally for a few minutes on that issue, naive huh.

Really though, I've had a habit of definetely keeping my cues closely watched, this time I was deviously out foxed by an intentional cue thief while in a small group of well trusted friends, hence my good fortune of friends seeing the crime in progress without actually realizing that my cue was the one walking out. I will obviously be even more carefull from now on...sid

Deeman2
01-31-2005, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Thanks. Anyone who knows me know how well I look after my equipment while in the PH. This time was simply the stars lining up wrong, cuz the small gathering we had there were all trusted players, except obviously this particular one. Ironic thing was that this dude had asked me to show him how to use the jumper and I spent some time with him personally for a few minutes on that issue, naive huh.

Really though, I've had a habit of definetely keeping my cues closely watched, this time I was deviously out foxed by an intentional cue thief while in a small group of well trusted friends, hence my good fortune of friends seeing the crime in progress without actually realizing that my cue was the one walking out. I will obviously be even more carefull from now on...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

Everywhere, except PettyPoint, Tori's main functions are to watch my cues/case and for me not finishing a shot. If you don't have a Tori with you, the buddy system works pretty well. Have Spiderman and you agree to watch each other's stuff when one is playing. I am beginning to believe there are case snatchers at the big tournaments and maybe they are even starting to brave the smaller ones. Used to be the nice cues were always at big events, now even APA guys might have $2K - $5K in a case and cues!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Deeman
me stealing Santo's Cue will be an entirely different matter...

Fred Agnir
01-31-2005, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>

Sid <hr /></blockquote>Steal it back.

GeraldG
01-31-2005, 10:01 AM
That would work!

Deeman2
01-31-2005, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>Steal it back. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Fred,
You have cleaver, evil mind. I like that in a pool player!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Deeman

Sid_Vicious
01-31-2005, 11:13 AM
Believe me, if I ever saw that guy and he actually still had it and the cue was alone for a second out of his hands, I'd be on it like stink on you-know-what! Tell me though, what if it surfaces and another player now has it? What would be an appropriate action in that case? It has "personality marks" that I'll never forget, so I'll KNOW it's mine.

Sid

Barbara
01-31-2005, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Tell me though, what if it surfaces and another player now has it? What would be an appropriate action in that case? It has "personality marks" that I'll never forget, so I'll KNOW it's mine.

Sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

If you can positively ID the cue, then you should file a police report with that information. Then, the next time you see the cue, grab the room's manager or owner, and tell the "new owner" about the history of the cue. If he still doesn't want to give it back, call the cops. He is in possession of stolen property.

It would also help immensely to have a copy of the police report with you ID-ing the cue.

Barbara

roscoe
01-31-2005, 02:12 PM
If you really want to get this guy you will have to id him. I doubt he will show up anytime soon at the bar. Does anyone at the bar know him? Check out other similar places and ask. If you do see him, and he's driving, get his plate. If you are in a state I have access to I'll run the plate.

Next is to confront him in no uncertain terms that you know he did it and have witnesses. If he does not come across then file a complaint with the police. Make sure your witnesses will back you up and get involved.

If nothing happens then go to a porn shop and buy the worst child porn you can find, put it in an envelope (use gloves), put his name and address on it and leave it in the childrens section of the library.

Become his nightmare,
Roscoe

Sid_Vicious
01-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Barbara,

The distinctions on the cue are subtle but not to me. How I'd report tiny details like a marr on the joint, barely noticable to most, would be a task of descriptiveness in wording. One big thing he or anyone he choses to sell it to, is that it has a phenolic tip, so most any player looking for a shooting cue will hate that tip. If the tip is left on the cue, BINGO!, it's easy proof it's mine. Somebody is really going to have a bear of a time cutting it off since it's been installed with 5 minute epoxy. I am getting one of the local tip installers to let me know if he get's a job that lines up with that particular style Falcon SP. They are rare since the Falcon people have to have a special request to even buy one.

I am 90% sure he's sold it by now. The witness, who knows the guys he runs with was pretty sure of it anyway...sid

Deeman2
01-31-2005, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote roscoe:</font><hr>

If nothing happens then go to a porn shop and buy the worst child porn you can find, put it in an envelope (use gloves), put his name and address on it and leave it in the childrens section of the library.

<font color="blue"> This might not be so nice if a child picked this up in the library. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif </font color>

Deeman
not a prude but...

Become his nightmare,
Roscoe <hr /></blockquote>

Eric.
01-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey Sid,

I feel ya on this one. I had something similar happen to me last Summer. I had my Predator BK "stolen". I say "stolen" because I actually left it on a table, forgot to pack it up (duh) and walked out. By the time I realized, turned around and went back into the Poolhall, it was gone. The rub is that everyone playing in there knew me and knew it was mine. Alot of people remeber seeing the cue, but it was nowhere to be found. I thought about filing a Police report, telling people, etc., but ultimately, it would be hard to prove that it was my cue, even with my receipt and my "distinguishing marks" on the cue. My cue hada water buffalo tip on it, cut real low and 100% flat. The ferrule hada slight ding in the crown because like an idiot, I tried hitting a ball without a tip on it (Predator ferrules are extremely soft), and it had a gouge on the butt, near the joint.

The bottom line is that I'm beat. The only solution you have is to somehow find it, take it from whomever is in possession of it (opening a can of worms there) and walk off.

PErsonally, if I knew who did it to me, I would prolly confront the fu&lt;ker and tell him something like "I know, you know, watch your back because I owe you one". Then you have your choice of either making good on your promise or just leaving it as a hollow threat. Either way, you ain't getting the cue back. Sorry, it sucks.

Eric

JimS
01-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Tomorrow I'm taking pics of all my cues and also putting some sort of identification marks on all of them....under the butt bumper, on the pin between the shaft and butt, on the wrap...somewhere, something.

wolfdancer
01-31-2005, 09:05 PM
wouldn't it be neat, if they all came with something like a "vin"....I've had two stolen...cheap ones, and one time when i came out of the men's room...someone else had just picked it up to play with....and got mad when I grabbed it back....thought it was a $500 house cue, I guess.....
Maybe, thy could bury an RFID chip in them????

mksmith713
01-31-2005, 09:18 PM
The RFID chip idea isn't anything new.
My buddy, Ed Reyes down in the Phillippines goes one further for his customers.
When he produces a cue, he embeds a metalic ID tag on the inside of the cue.
He then has the cue x-rayed to show the tag and he sends the x-ray with the cue to the new owner when it's purchased.
I think this is an awesome idea.
When your cue turns up in some other players hands, you pull him aside, show him the x-ray and explain to him what will happen if the cue isn't returned immediately.

I don't think this is what he had in mind when he decided to embed the tags. I think it was more to prevent others from counterfeiting his cues.
Either way, it's an effective tool.

buddha162
02-01-2005, 03:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mksmith713:</font><hr> When your cue turns up in some other players hands, you pull him aside, show him the x-ray and explain to him what will happen if the cue isn't returned immediately. <hr /></blockquote>

I wouldn't need an x-ray of the cue to get my point across in that situation. The unlucky person who gets caught with my stolen cue will get a 3-count, and then it's either recovery of property or throw-down time, lol...

-Roger

Deeman2
02-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Anyone who knows me will testify my Justis case is hard to mistake for someone else's. However, I do stuff business cards down into the tubes (I needed the cues to sit higher in the tubes). I also "mark" my cues in a hidden place. If they are stolen, they will probably be lost but if I ever, ever see them again, I can identify them.

When I lived in Germany a Turk was stealing cues in Frankfurt am Main and most were actually recovered and the owners were able to identify them. The club system really helped there as any unique ques were known to everyone.

Deeman

Eric.
02-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Dee,

I hear what you're saying, I do the same (mark my stuff in a distinguishing way). The only problem is that (and I ain't no lawyer) I don't think something like that would stand up in Municipal court, not unless you documented the special marks. While I agree it is better to have some shot of getting it back, for the most part, I think it's a losing proposition.

Reminds me of the old cliche; "An ounce of prevention is better than..."

Eric &gt;Mr. Cliche