PDA

View Full Version : Getting out the vote

wolfdancer
01-30-2005, 02:14 PM
There's an interesting parallel between voting today in Iraq, and voting in NYC in the 1860's
You can get killed for voting today in Iraq, and you could have been killed for not voting, at least once, in them good old days.
We Democrats really knew how to run a city back then....didn't do a bad job either in Chicago, under Richard the first.
Seriously, it's hard to imagine the courage it must take for an Iraqi citizen to vote, end equally hard to measure the pride felt after voting in a free election for the first time.
Now to insure a fair ballot count, I suggest we send reps from both Fla. and Washington State, to assist....

cheesemouse
01-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Politics aside I thought the Iraq's were magnificent...it is party time in Iraq. http://www.diegotorres.com.ar/mensajeitor/foro/caritas/120103_emA52_prv1.gif

wolfdancer
01-30-2005, 08:31 PM
I'll second that!!!!!
I forgot to add that in the 1860's it was William Marcy "Boss"
Tweed, and the boys from Tammany Hall. ( Society of St. Tammany)
And old Bill would have liked this:
The Tweed Courthouse, newly restored at a cost of Tweedlike proportions—more than twice the initial estimate—is slated to become the new home of the Museum of the City of New York.

nAz
01-30-2005, 11:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Politics aside I thought the Iraq's were magnificent...it is party time in Iraq. http://www.diegotorres.com.ar/mensajeitor/foro/caritas/120103_emA52_prv1.gif <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not surprise to hear this, but i hope this and the coming years will be easier. one thing though what happens if they decide to get a Iranian style goverment that turns out to be anti American??

highsea
01-31-2005, 04:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>...one thing though what happens if they decide to get a Iranian style goverment that turns out to be anti American?? <hr /></blockquote>If that's what they want, that's what they'll get. But don't count on it. Theocracies like Iran are popular with the mullah's, but not the people. There is a pretty strong democratic reform movement in Iran, which is why the mullahs don't allow opposition parties.

Look how they voted in Afghanistan. Give the people a free election, and they will not vote for a theocracy. The purely religious parties like Sistani's group will be a minority party. We will have to wait a few days for the results, but I bet Allawi's list wins the popular vote.