PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see?

Friction
01-30-2005, 02:39 PM
I am going to be opening a billiard room near my home in the northern midwest. I would just like to hear from the people what they would like to see in a billiard room. Maybe something that most are missing, that some thing you've seen that should be a must. Thank you for any input.

ChuckR
01-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Smoke free, Masters chalk, Simonis cloth, reasonable quality 2 piece cues, adequate seating, good table lighting,places to set/lean cues when you are not shooting that won't get knocked over, no non-shooters interfering,clean equipment, red dots and topless rack girls!!!!

wolfdancer
01-30-2005, 03:18 PM
I'd like to see "Phantom of the Opera", but haven't been in a movie theatre in 20 some years.

I've worked in, and managed rooms......and a friendly, well-trained staff, would be a top priority.
Tables well maintained, clean rest rooms, fair prices....I discounted the tab for my regulars, that had spent some decent $$ in the room....with the Bosses ok. Same with selling cues....I usually completed the sale, if someone asked to look at a cue...I always gave them some free table time with the purchase...that got them back in, and usually with another new player, or potential customer.
Pouring a good drink also helps...our bar gross exceeded the table rev. most times. And food....folks usually just want something fast..there's a self-contained fryer available, that requires no hood...it has it's own fire-supression system...it's expensive, but with after you sell the food supplies that you get for "free", with it...the machine is "free"
It's a tough way to make a buck though...you have to love the pool business.......good luck!!!!!

landshark77
01-30-2005, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> Smoke free, Masters chalk, Simonis cloth, reasonable quality 2 piece cues, adequate seating, good table lighting,places to set/lean cues when you are not shooting that won't get knocked over, no non-shooters interfering,clean equipment, red dots and topless rack girls!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

OK, I'll tolerate (and even will be respectful towards /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) the topless rack girls....all I ask is to be able to smoke...

Paul_Mon
01-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Top quality tables, cloth and balls that are kept clean. Adequate room between the tables. VIP room (no music) with enough tables for the regulars. Full bar, decent food, no smoking. I do my own tip work but you will make a few extra bucks with a lathe to tip and refinish shafts. Pool tapes and books to rent or buy at reasonable prices.

Paul Mon

JPB
01-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Top equipment. Simonis, Centennials. No music. If music jazz or blues. No bar tables. 2 Verhoevens. Lessons available. No old chalk. No drilling chalk allowed. Lessons on chalking available. Have all the food you want, but if players eat cheetos, they must not play and must wash their hands. (snot face teen was eating burgers, fries, and cheetos next to me yesterday while playing with mom and mom's boyfriend. I wanted to slap teen and beat mother down with a greasy house cue.) Clean bathrooms. No powder or cone chalk.

There. A recipe to go out of business for you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DebraLiStarr
01-30-2005, 04:55 PM
No creepy guys standing behind me when I am shooting. If you can build a pool hall without that staple, let me know and I'll be there. Yes guys, that is annoying. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

christopheradams
01-30-2005, 05:24 PM
A 9 foot coin op table with simonis 860. Its nice to have the king of the hill aspect and most billard halls don't have the coin ops.
Gotta have at least a few tables with simonis.
Good ventilation and a small smoking area. No smoking near tables.
Wooden racks. I hate plastic racks.
Brushes near every table.
Vacuum the tables once in a while and clean the balls.
Use Aramith balls and cue ball.

GeraldG
01-30-2005, 09:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> No creepy guys standing behind me when I am shooting. If you can build a pool hall without that staple, let me know and I'll be there. Yes guys, that is annoying. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Butt /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, how do you know if you're a creepy guy or just a regular guy? Is it OK if regular guys stand behind you?

GeraldG
01-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Well maintained tables (Preferably GC II's or Diamond) with Simonis 860, Super Aramith Pro balls and Sardo Tight Racks.

onepocketfanatic
01-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Good equiptment kept in first rate condition (that means keeeping the tables level as well), as well as excellent lighting on the tables. Enough room between the tables so there are no obstructions, and you don't have your butt against another table while on the rail. Courteous and friendly wait staff. Rules that are strickly enforced with regard to the equiptment so that is stays top notch.

Troy
01-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Why anyone would want to ruin perfectly good tables by using the SARDINE GIZMO is beyond me.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr>.....and Sardo Tight Racks. <hr /></blockquote>

GeraldG
01-30-2005, 10:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Why anyone would want to ruin perfectly good tables by using the SARDINE GIZMO is beyond me.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr>.....and Sardo Tight Racks. <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

?? How, exactly, does that ruin a table? Have you ever used one? The only thing you do to the table is make two small marks on the cloth to align the rack with. It gives a perfect, tight rack every time. It eliminates reracks and the problem of people loose-racking on you, tapping balls into the cloth, etc..I fail to see how this can ruin a table.

FastJoey
01-30-2005, 11:35 PM
well lighted pool tables with flourscent bulbs...alot of parking.......25%off when buying any cue over $300.00 ..free table time for any cue purchase.......non smoking or a smoking room for those that have too...and shim the pool table pockets loose so people can shoot balls easier..this alone can keep customers coming back.have a variety of tables 7,8 and 9 foot......make sure ALL zoning is approved Before you invest in land,building and business...be good and courteous to your neighbors ..and once you start your hall have a suggetion box..........best of luck to you..keep us posted.....

ryushen21
01-30-2005, 11:48 PM
A room full of 9' olhausen champion pro tables with plenty of space for the player to move around and shoot without having to worry about bumping into someone else or wait for someone else to finish their shot, simonis 860 or tour edition cloth, super aramith pro balls, decent two piece house cues with with a well shaped tip and a ferrule that isn't mushroomed/mushrooming, a separated smoking side with separate ventalation system so that the people on the non smoking side can walk out without smelling like smoke, music restricted to blues, jazz, and some hard rock songs (so many people have iPods these days that they can bring in their own music anyways), a good selection of mid to high end cues for sale, a good selection of tobacco at reasonable prices, a well stocked bar with a good selection of alcohol (no mccormick's or any other alcohol of that grade), food (mozzarella sticks, wings, fries, burgers, etc. especially for the people who spend all day in the hall), the option to pay by the hour or an all day price, a couple of good sized tv's to watch sporting events on, shades on the windows so you don't have to deal with sunlight pouring on the tables at certain times of day, solid oak racks, good seating for the patrons, an in-house BCA certified instructor to give lessons on request, a "you break it, you buy it" policy firmly enforced, a couple of provate rooms for those players who want to play without being propositioned for a money game.

that's about all that i can think of for now. but i'm sure that i'll come up with more.

GeraldG
01-31-2005, 02:15 AM
Restrict the volume of music to at least a couple of decibels below earsplitting. Nothing is more irritating to me than having to listen to Rap or Heavy Metal music(?) so loud I can't hear myself think while I'm trying to play pool.

Rich R.
01-31-2005, 04:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> ?? How, exactly, does that ruin a table? Have you ever used one? The only thing you do to the table is make two small marks on the cloth to align the rack with. It gives a perfect, tight rack every time. It eliminates reracks and the problem of people loose-racking on you, tapping balls into the cloth, etc..I fail to see how this can ruin a table. <hr /></blockquote>
You obviously don't know a lot about the "Sardine Gizmo".

Check the instruction manual. For it to be effective and work properly, the table has to be "trained".
The "training" creates divots in the cloth and you will no longer be able to accurately slow roll balls over that area of the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Why do you think they are not in every poolroom in the country? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

CarolNYC
01-31-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Enough room between the tables so there are no obstructions, and you don't have your butt against another table while on the rail [/quote

Absolutely! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol]

GeraldG
01-31-2005, 05:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> ?? How, exactly, does that ruin a table? Have you ever used one? The only thing you do to the table is make two small marks on the cloth to align the rack with. It gives a perfect, tight rack every time. It eliminates reracks and the problem of people loose-racking on you, tapping balls into the cloth, etc..I fail to see how this can ruin a table. <hr /></blockquote>
You obviously don't know a lot about the "Sardine Gizmo".

Check the instruction manual. For it to be effective and work properly, the table has to be "trained".
The "training" creates divots in the cloth and you will no longer be able to accurately slow roll balls over that area of the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Why do you think they are not in every poolroom in the country? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I have one. I know it creates "divots" (well, not really divots, but little depressions in the cloth), but so does people tapping the balls. I've never noticed any more problem with balls rolling off than on any other table.

LARRY_BOY
01-31-2005, 07:02 AM
Ample room around all tables.........

Rich R.
01-31-2005, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr>I have one. I know it creates "divots" (well, not really divots, but little depressions in the cloth), but so does people tapping the balls. I've never noticed any more problem with balls rolling off than on any other table. <hr /></blockquote>
Well Gerald, I guess I reall don't agree with people tapping on balls either. IMHO, both the ball tappers and the Sardine Gizmo create more problems than they solve.

will8834
01-31-2005, 04:51 PM
I would play on a warped piece of plywood as long as there wasn't ear splitting music.

JimS
01-31-2005, 08:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> Top equipment. Simonis, Centennials. No music. If music jazz or blues. Lessons available. No old chalk. No drilling chalk allowed. Lessons on chalking available. Clean bathrooms. No powder or cone chalk.

There. A recipe to go out of business for you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yep...all that and tables that are brushed and maybe vac'd immediately after the balls are turned in.

The bar tables should be in a seperate room with the video games and poker games and the juke box should be in there with no speakers in the real pool room.

Nice cues for sale. Respect for pool and it's players. Tv's with Accu Stat video's playing. World class cheeseburgers and potato wedges.

recoveryjones
02-01-2005, 12:10 AM
I would like to see a room with great well maintianed equipment and service.I would be nice to have at least four to six quality (Gold Crowns or Diamonds) tables reserved for your regular (members) customers, if not a whole pool room full of quality tables.Maybe offer someone free(negiotable) practice and give him a job to keep the tables clean on a reguliar basis.A lot of pool rooms have filthy tables.

Aside from that I would like to see a poolroom with a self contained practice room complete with a TV,VCR and comfortable furniture. It would be a great place to practice in peace(or smooch with a girlfriend) and take professional lessons without being bothered.You could also rent out instructional videos and offer to video tape someone in action for great feedback on how they are strokin.All of this is coming from a practice junkie...LOL, who gets interupted a bit too much at times.

Above all,good service to your regulars and cleanliness are mandatory. Best of Luck, RJ