PDA

View Full Version : advice

300Zhustler
01-30-2005, 11:54 PM
does anyone have any advice for a first time big money gambler. What should i do to prepare myself for success

Bassn7
01-31-2005, 12:06 AM
Before spending a dime on a pool game you should invest in a grammer class.

Popcorn
01-31-2005, 12:22 AM
That was certainly a rude comment.

Cueless Joey
01-31-2005, 12:32 AM
What's a "grammer"? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GeraldG
01-31-2005, 02:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> That was certainly a rude comment. <hr /></blockquote>

It was, wasn't it?

It must be embarrassing to make a comment like that criticizing someone for their post only to find out that you've misspelled the word "grammar" in your own post. It must be especially embarrassing to then further find that the problem with the post you are criticizing isn't grammar so much as punctuation and failure to capitalize in the first place.

Chris Cass
01-31-2005, 02:34 AM
Don't worry about that. There's no such thing as a successful gambler. You win, you lose. Oh, don't get married and have children.

Regards,

C.C.

GeraldG
01-31-2005, 02:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Don't worry about that. There's no such thing as a successful gambler. You win, you lose. Oh, don't get married and have children.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

True 'dat! (How's that for grammar?)

Actually there are a few successful gamblers around...not many for sure, but a few. They will be the ones taking your money.

If you don't believe that, then by all means go for it. Hey, I'm in Georgia...I'll take some of that action. If you're going to give it away, you might as well give it to me. (Just kidding about that, I don't do a lot of gambling)...The point is that you might have a good 9-ball game or whatever, but seriously playing for money is a whole different ballgame. There's a lot more to it than you can get into here...there's a whole different mindset. You have to be part psychologist, part pool player and a whole bunch con-man. A big part of it is the ability to get into the other guy's head and throw his game off while keeping him from doing the same to you....you have to be able to quickly read your opponent and find his weaknesses and then capitalize on them. You'll lose a bunch of money learning. Guaranteed.

Billy_Bob
01-31-2005, 04:09 AM
I have a lot of info, unfortunately it is mostly from books which are copyrighted, so I can't give you definitions of the words. But I can give the the words/terms to look up and names of books, a video and other forums to poke around in - search.

$1 = Jellybean
$5 = Fin
$10 = Sawbuck
$20 = Double sawbuck
$100 = Buck, C Note
$500 = Nickel
$1000 = Dime

1. Pool Handicaps - Spots: Learn what the following words mean. The book "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards" defines these as well as some books by Capelle (which discuss money games). Links below for books.

Cheese
Action

Bank the eight/nine
Breaks
Call Eight
Discount
Double Discount
Eight Safe
First Break
Go-Back Game (Cramp Game)
Grand Discount
Hard Eight
Heads Up
Hop the Eight
Last Two
Loser Breaks
Odds
Royal Discount
Spot the Break
Stop
Treble Discount
Wild

2. Learn about: Negotiating - Making a game - Matching up - Woofing. Learn what the following mean (Again, "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards" and some books by Capelle can help with the terms)...

"I'll take the 7 and 2 on the wire."
"I need the seven and the breaks."
"I'll take the 6 and the breaks."
"Give me the 5 and the breaks and 2 on the wire in a race to 3."
"I'll take the 6 and the breaks."
"I`ll take the 7,8,9 spot"
"I'll take the 7,8 and the snap from Fred for $50 a pop."
"I gave him the call 8 and the last 2 in a race to 9 for a dime a set."
"I want 9 to 8 and the breaks for 7 dollars a game and another dollar or so on the rail."
"I offered him 2 banks spot in a race to 5."
"I offered him the 7 ball."
"How about the wild 8 and the breaks?"
"11-8 and the breaks for 2k plus the rail."

Get this book for definitions of words above...
The New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards
http://www.onthecheese.com/billiardshop/books/book2.htm

Get the following video...
Grady Mathews' Secrets of Money Pool
http://poolvideo.com/PV274.htm

Capelle discusses money games in one or more of his books, forget which ones...
http://www.seyberts.com/instructional/books/capelle/

Money games discussion here...
(See "Ask Grady Mathews any question")
http://www.billiards-pool.net/modules/newbb/

Grady Mathews Book
Bet High and Kiss Low...
(1/2 way down page on left)
http://www.gradymathews.com/

Go to following link, select "Search only in rec.sport.billiard", then search for the words (one at a time)...
spots
money games
wolfing
action
http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;group=rec.sport.billiard

Also this is interesting...
http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Rich R.
01-31-2005, 04:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 300Zhustler:</font><hr> does anyone have any advice for a first time big money gambler. What should i do to prepare myself for success <hr /></blockquote>
Don't wager any amount of money that you can not afford to lose.

CarolNYC
01-31-2005, 04:56 AM
Hmmmmmm,I dont see anything about the "calcutta" /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Carol~had to buy myself for 10 bucks and STILL lost to Mike LeBron-dammit-he got me on a bad day LMAO! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LARRY_BOY
01-31-2005, 07:05 AM
It's like a cracker only different.........

Deeman2
01-31-2005, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 300Zhustler:</font><hr> does anyone have any advice for a first time big money gambler. What should i do to prepare myself for success <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">(A) Go to Murphey's Brass Rail, (B) lay your money on the end rail while warming up. (C) They will find you. </font color>

(D) Make a better career choice next time.

Deeman

LARRY_BOY
02-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Don't start ..........

landshark77
02-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Before I ask this, please try and remember that there are no STUPID questions, only stupid PEOPLE! I am by far one on the stupidest
!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

WTF does "On the wire mean"???

SpiderMan
02-01-2005, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> Before I ask this, please try and remember that there are no STUPID questions, only stupid PEOPLE! I am by far one on the stupidest

WTF does "On the wire mean"??? <hr /></blockquote>

LS,

Over many tables, there is a wire with sliding beads that are used to keep score (looks similar to an abacus). Getting something "on the wire" is a reference to giving games or balls as a handicap. In other words, someone getting "two on the wire" would have two scorekeeping beads slid over to their side. The term has stuck, no matter what scorekeeping method is used.

SpiderMan (WTF does WTF mean?)

GeraldG
02-01-2005, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> Before I ask this, please try and remember that there are no STUPID questions, only stupid PEOPLE! I am by far one on the stupidest

WTF does "On the wire mean"??? <hr /></blockquote>

"On the wire" means that one player is giving the other player games up front. For instance, if you are playing a race to 7 and you are giving the other player 2 games on the wire, then it's just like the score is already 2-0 his favor. So he only has to win 5 games and you have to win 7.

Deeman2
02-01-2005, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>SpiderMan (WTF does WTF mean?) <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Want Those Fries? </font color>

landshark77
02-01-2005, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
(WTF does WTF mean?) <hr /></blockquote>

Why the Frown...of course! LMAO!

Thanks SpiderMan and Gerald!

Billy_Bob
02-01-2005, 10:25 AM
I forgot about this on-line source of definitions...

Pool Jargon List
http://www.sfbilliards.com/jargon.html

Eric.
02-01-2005, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> SpiderMan (WTF does WTF mean?) <hr /></blockquote>

Wet T-shirt Federation.

Eric &gt;better than 'Smack Down'

christopheradams
02-02-2005, 06:44 AM

To prepare yourself for losing money you could send me a few thousand dollars and pretend you lost it. This would definately prepare you for future losses /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
To be serious, I think the most important thing is to set limits and stick to them before you even step into the pool hall.

mtuckeriii
02-02-2005, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's a "grammer"? <hr /></blockquote>

The lady married to my grampaw

Eric.
02-02-2005, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> Before spending a dime on a pool game you should invest in a grammer class. <hr /></blockquote>

Iz agrees wit yous.

Eric &gt;20 year veteran of 'Hooked on Phonics'

will8834
02-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Always remeber Gambling money has no home.

Bob_Jewett
02-02-2005, 03:29 PM
The most important thing to do is find a good pool hall to play in. Many rooms will have people who will try to rip you off with bad games, without the least concern that you will end up sleeping on the street. Where I play, people are only too happy to give you a fair game or even odds that favor you for very high stakes.

Send me $10,000 in small bills, and I'll tell you where I play.

GeraldG
02-02-2005, 03:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 300Zhustler:</font><hr> does anyone have any advice for a first time big money gambler. What should i do to prepare myself for success <hr /></blockquote>
The most important thing to do is find a good pool hall to play in. Many rooms will have people who will try to rip you off with bad games, without the least concern that you will end up sleeping on the street. Where I play, people are only too happy to give you a fair game or even odds that favor you for very high stakes.

Send me $10,000 in small bills, and I'll tell you where I play. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GeraldG
02-02-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure who 300Zhustler is...but I sort of have a hunch. If he's a guy that plays out of the Pool Room in Marietta and drives a white 300ZX, I know him. He's a monster. This kid can PLAY. He has the game for sure, but he he hasn't quite got the mental gambling game yet...he still lets people get in his head. But, once he gets that worked out, look out. I dunno...may not be the same guy, but if it is, Hi John...you'll get there buddy. I'm just not sure you want that life.

superstroke
02-04-2005, 05:07 AM
My best advice is to bet big when you know you have the nuts, and bet as little as possible when your playing someone much better and your doing it to learn. Remember that gambling is still a form of practice, you have to get use to makeing the winning shots for the cach, you can make long straight in 9's for fun cause your use to it, you have to be able to be use to it for the dough, the more often you play for money the the easier it gets as far as knowing how to deal with pressure, we all feel pressure, but you have to invite that feeling instead fighting it off.
Good luck
P.S. What state are you in? If your in Southern Cali PM me and we can match up.

loofnicnad
02-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Why start with "big" money?

just curious

GeraldG
02-04-2005, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote superstroke:</font><hr> My best advice is to bet big when you know you have the nuts, and bet as little as possible when your playing someone much better and your doing it to learn. Remember that gambling is still a form of practice, you have to get use to makeing the winning shots for the cach, you can make long straight in 9's for fun cause your use to it, you have to be able to be use to it for the dough, the more often you play for money the the easier it gets as far as knowing how to deal with pressure, we all feel pressure, but you have to invite that feeling instead fighting it off.
Good luck
P.S. What state are you in? If your in Southern Cali PM me and we can match up. <hr /></blockquote>

He's in Georgia.

Billy_Bob
02-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Here is a new one I found...

Danny "Kid Delicious" Basavich videos - #4 is called
"Kid Delicious Gambling Secrets".

I have not seen this video.

Kid Delicious videos...
http://www.wmtn.biz/danny06.html

Kid Delicious Main Page...
http://www.wmtn.biz/danny

christopheradams
02-04-2005, 09:21 AM
I was going to do a post on that series. Im going to post a question on the main page asking if anyone recommends it. He has a whole dvd series. I think 4 dvd's. Thanks for reminding me about this DVD series I kept forgetting to ask for feedback on it.

1Time
02-05-2005, 04:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Don't worry about that. There's no such thing as a successful gambler. You win, you lose. <hr /></blockquote>

Ah, the loser's battle cry. Well at least it's good for soothing the pains of mediocrity. I, however, maintain the successful gambler is the one who brings home the bigger bank roll. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1Time
02-05-2005, 04:23 AM

Yes. First, define what success is for you as it relates to your big money gambling ambitions. And then share it in this forum so you may receive even more valuable advise.

bigbro6060
02-08-2005, 01:42 AM
Just make sure you win and have a Beretta 93R in your jacket pocket in case someone doesn't want to pay up