PDA

View Full Version : Cue Tip Speed

Bassn7
01-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Relative to the playing surface, how much faster do you think the cue tip moves by snapping your wrist forward just before impact? Twice as fast, 50%, 25% or not at all?

Billy_Bob
01-31-2005, 04:20 AM
I think I read somewhere that it is worth an extra 2 mph in speed....

Bob_Jewett
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> Relative to the playing surface, how much faster do you think the cue tip moves by snapping your wrist forward just before impact? Twice as fast, 50%, 25% or not at all? <hr /></blockquote>
You can figure this out for your own wrist. Somehow fix your lower arm in place, and shoot just by snapping your wrist. You will probably have to adjust the cue ball position for best speed. I think you can reasonably assume that with proper training, you could get about the same MPH increase on normal shots, once you get the timing perfected. It's important not to start the snap too early or late.

If you can tell me how many rails the cue ball goes from the wrist snap (up and down the center of the table), I can tell you its approximate speed. Or, you could pull the info off regular video.

TomBrooklyn
03-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Hi Bob,

If you hit a cue ball from the head spot straight up and down and it goes 4 lengths of the table back and forth, about how fast did you hit it? How about for 4 1/2 lengths? 5?

BigRigTom
03-18-2005, 04:39 PM
My question is: Why would you want to complicate your stroke by flicking your wrist?
Seem to me like with proper technique you should be able obtain enough force and speed for just about any shot under normal conditions with out flicking the wrist so why do it?

Rod
03-19-2005, 01:42 AM
Not that it really matters in a game of precision pool but I doubt very little if any. In fact if the timing is wrong it will slow down speed. The use of the term "wrist snap" is subject to get most people in trouble.

In a normal release the wrist freely comes back to your address position. That is the effect of a tension free swing. There is no snap, it just appears as such.

My answer is a question. Why would anyone try to speed up anything that happens naturally? No answer is needed. If you play with wrist movement (which I do) just let it happen.

Rod

Scott Lee
03-19-2005, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Hi Bob,

If you hit a cue ball from the head spot straight up and down and it goes 4 lengths of the table back and forth, about how fast did you hit it? How about for 4 1/2 lengths? 5? <hr /></blockquote>

Tom...I've clocked this many times with my radar gun, so to answer your question, "4 lengths of the table" speed will vary from table to table (based on playing conditions), but on a 9' table with good cloth and good cushions, a 4-rail shot (or 9 Speed, as we call it), will accelerate to between 15 and 17 mph. 4 1/2 or 5 lengths will not significantly up this speed...perhaps another 2mph at best. BTW, this is plenty of cue speed to provide a solid, controllable, repeatable break shot (provided you hit a dead center CB).

Scott Lee