PDA

View Full Version : Playing the game versus Drills

christopheradams
01-31-2005, 06:15 AM
I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on what they think improves your game more. Drils or playing. I use to do a lot of drills and position practice but lately I find just opening up a rack of 9 ball or 8 ball and trying to run out or play safe on myself is more beneficial. I hear straight pool is a good game to improve on all other games i.e. 8 ball 9 ball. But I think playing the game you want to improve at is a better idea. I do like straight pool though and its a very challenging game. Love one pocket too and wish I could get more people to play both of those 2 games.
One drill I still do on a regular basis is the 3 ball drill for 8 ball and 9 ball. I like to do this when I am working on my mechanics, I find it hard to play the game sometimes when I am thinking about my grip or some other aspect of my game. I will throw 3 balls at random locations on the table and take cue ball in hand. I will either run the balls in order to simulate 9 ball or I will pretend the highest ball is the 8 ball and can run the other 2 balls at random. I also don't give myself a perfect first shot with ball in hand. I also like to shoot a lot of long straight in shots to perfect my stroke.

recoveryjones
01-31-2005, 10:17 AM
I think drills are very beneficial when it comes to learning on how to get around the table and learning various options on doing so. Setting up the same shots over and over will ingrain that knowledge into your subconcious.Just throwing balls out on the table and trying to run out will make your learning curve much,much slower.You probably do better at running out because of some of that knowledge you've aquired from drills and just might not realize how helpful those drills were to you.

Having said that, drills are definitley not enough. For me I need to play the best players possible and put some pressure on my stroke.

I can set up some drills and go into deadstroke running 30 plus balls (in numerical order) because I know the shot speeds of that particuliar drill and have learned all the recovery shots when I have got off line.Problem is, is that those set drill patterns never come up indentically in an actual game , so getting into deadstroke is much more difficult.

All this knowledge I have aquired (and am aquiring) have come by doing drills.For me I now need to play more pressure games and put some heat on my stroke against the better players. Nothing is more benificial than that. RJ

jjinfla
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
I agree with RJ. Do the drills, then play to test yourself.

If you just play then you might spend most of your time watching and racking depending on how good she is.

Playing will show you what you have to work on.

Jake

Stretch
01-31-2005, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I agree with RJ. Do the drills, then play to test yourself.

If you just play then you might spend most of your time watching and racking depending on how good she is.

Playing will show you what you have to work on.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Drills will also show you what your weak on. Trouble is, most people do drills that they are already good at. Or they enjoy doing them. That's not progress. The drills you hate doing, are probably the ones you need to work on more. To that end i always start a practice (when i'm fresh and eager) with my least favorite drills. ie. speed control, kicks and banks, combonations. Then i'll move on to straight shooting down balls for shape drills. For the main course i'll spread em all out and shoot at random without going to a rail, or play them all down in order, then i'll have a few matches with the ghost.

Like you said Jake you have to always test yourself in Compatition. That's the arena that tests your mental game. Anyone can look great on the practice table. But can they bring it in a game? The difference is all Mental. That's why you need the Compation. St.

superstroke
02-01-2005, 02:09 AM
Of coarse drills are good, but playing is just as important.
You may be able to make that long straight in shot in practice many times in a row, but can you make it once for the cash? Drills are for practicing shots, and playing is practicing how to handle pressure.

jjinfla
02-01-2005, 05:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote superstroke:</font><hr> Of coarse drills are good, but playing is just as important.
You may be able to make that long straight in shot in practice many times in a row, but can you make it once for the cash? Drills are for practicing shots, and playing is practicing how to handle pressure. <hr /></blockquote>

Quite right. But if you can't make the shot in practice then the odds are you can't make it in a game under pressure. Now when the shot comes up in a game I tell myself that it is one I made countless times and all I have to do is stroke properly. And I find them a lot easier now. And of course when I run across a shot in a game that I find I have trouble with I bring it to the practice table and work on it until I bring up my make percentage.

Jake