PDA

View Full Version : Physics Question

bomber
01-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Im sure this has been answered before but i want to ask it again because i have had several discussions about this and get two different answers. Is it possible to line up to balls in a straight line and cut the object ball 90 degrees so using no english (only center ball) while using a perfectly level stroke.
Here it is on the wei table. You are shooting the cue ball into the 1 ball and the 1 ball must follow the path. Letter D represents a 90 degree angle. Letter C represents the Contact point. Can it be done?

START(
%Ag5O7%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pr7O6%Sf8M5%Th4P9%W i3O9%Xq5O8
%Yg6V8%Zg6P5
)END

Popcorn
01-31-2005, 11:35 AM
The shot you show would be more then 90 degrees. The cue bal would have to be a moved over a balls width.

DavidMorris
01-31-2005, 11:43 AM
This should be interesting... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

With a level cue and centerball hit? I say no, a true 90-degree cut cannot be done. Even if physics were to say it's possible, I would think it so improbable as to not be practically possible. I believe a true 90 degree cut is impossible unless a jump or masse is used.

In your diagram, not only can you not even see point C from where the CB is, but even if you could (say the edges were lined up) and had the accuracy to hit it thin enough to just barely touch C, the throw from a centerball hit would be virtually impossible to overcome.

Rich R.
01-31-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm guessing, but this shot may be able to be done, by masseing the cue ball. You would be curving the cue ball to the right and then back in to the left, for contact on the object ball at point C.
This would be difficult to control and a low percentage shot, to say the least.

Something like this.
START(
%Ag5O7%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pr7O6%Sf8M5%Th4P9%W i3O9%Xq5O8
%Yg6V8%Zg6P5%_h6N9%`l4N3%aq5O8
)END

dr_dave
01-31-2005, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> This should be interesting... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

With a level cue and centerball hit? I say no, a true 90-degree cut cannot be done. Even if physics were to say it's possible, I would think it so improbable as to not be practically possible. I believe a true 90 degree cut is impossible unless a jump or masse is used.

In your diagram, not only can you not even see point C from where the CB is, but even if you could (say the edges were lined up) and had the accuracy to hit it thin enough to just barely touch C, the throw from a centerball hit would be virtually impossible to overcome. <hr /></blockquote>
Excellent answer! I agree completely.

Qtec
01-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Have you ever hit a ball so thin that it hardly moved?

If Superman hit a ball 89.99 degrees, as hard as he could, I dont think it would move 6 inches.

Qtec

DavidMorris
01-31-2005, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>I'm guessing, but this shot may be able to be done, by masseing the cue ball. You would be curving the cue ball to the right and then back in to the left, for contact on the object ball at point C.<hr /></blockquote>
That's true, Rich, and a point I made in my post. However bomber's conditions for the shot stated a level cue and centerball hit, ruling out a masse or a jump.