PDA

View Full Version : practice on a snooker table

yegon
01-31-2005, 12:34 PM
I tried to play snooker today and it was a disaster. The pockets were so tough I could rarely make a ball. This gave me the idea to practice shotmaking on the snooker table regularly to gain more acuracy. I am talking about the UK style snooker table 6x12 feet with those small round unforgiving pockets. Would this benefit my pool game or could it be harmfull. I am concerned about the different size of the balls, could this throw off my aim when shooting the bigger pool balls? What drills would you suggest to do on the snooker table?

crawdaddio
01-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Practice any shot you like.............only use the full size POOL balls. I use to do this to improve my accuracy, and to make myself cry............. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

~DC

yegon
01-31-2005, 02:15 PM
I do not think the full size pool balls would fit into the pocket. The pockets on this table are just several milimeters wider than the small snooker balls. I will test it the next time I play there.

Fred Agnir
01-31-2005, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I do not think the full size pool balls would fit into the pocket. The pockets on this table are just several milimeters wider than the small snooker balls. I will test it the next time I play there. <hr /></blockquote>

WPBSA specifications for the corner pockets are 3 3/8ths" - 3 5/8ths" . That shouldl be about... and inch and a half bigger than a standard European ball.

A pool ball (American pool) should fit.

Fred

B0B_PERKINS
01-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi Yegon... If you tried to play on a snooker table with standard sized balls your biggest problem would be that the balls would always be flying off the table cause they're just too big for the rails and will tend to climb the rails rather than bouncing back cleanly.

As for practicing on a snooker table... that's what I have here in my home. Snooker used to be my main game but these days it's hard to even find a room with a snooker table much less any good tournaments. So mostly I now play 8 &amp; 9-ball. What I did have to do though was change the cloth on my 4 1/2 X 9 snooker table to a much faster billiard cloth. It just became impossible to try and work the cueball around the table with the snooker cloth. Anytime you really needed to spin the ball for a shot it would always "take" before ever reaching the object ball and it was too much to try and compensate your aim for. My table now plays great... it really does help improve your accuracy... but those damn tight little pockets sure aren't very forgiving /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. ...Bob

yegon
01-31-2005, 09:41 PM
So you practie with the standard snooker balls? Are the aiming angles the same so you do not have to adjust your aim when you play at the pool table?

B0B_PERKINS
02-01-2005, 12:03 PM
I have a standard set of billiard balls for 8 &amp; 9-ball as well as a set of snooker balls... all the same 2 1/8" size to fit the snooker rails of my table.

The angles are all the same on any table no matter the size... just the distance of your shot varies. With snooker, because of the cloth's nap, you don't spin the ball around the table as much and usually play more "area position" for several balls rather than "specific position " for one ball. ...Bob

bsmutz
02-01-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't think the mind is so easily tricked. It takes more concentration to pot balls on the snooker table, but then the whole game is different. When I play snooker, I know I have to concentrate more on making the ball, so I worry less about position sometimes and just concentrate on the shot, or accept that I'm not going to get ideal position. When going back to the pool table, you know you have more room to play with, so you can cheat the pocket and play a little sloppier. Also the bank and shot angles are different and there's less clutter on the snooker table. If you can get into the concentration required on the snooker table and bring that to your pool game, you'll see some improvement, but I wouldn't expect a lot.
I don't see where it will be harmful or take a lot of adjustment in aiming for the difference in ball size. If you do some searching on the snooker sites you will find some drills. One in particular that I remember was lining up the reds down the center of the table, end to end, then practicing potting them on alternating sides of the table playing position for the next ball using follow.