PDA

View Full Version : Why is a cue called a cue?

Stretch
01-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Ok this guy in league play got me tonight. He said you know how the cue got it's name? I had to think for a minuit.....Damn! i know 10 trillion things about pool, but i have no idea how the thing i loved, got it's name! Does anyone here? Or as USUAL i'm the last to know.

I digress

I could use some comformation here, but APPARENTLY (according to this guy) It came from the 16th century in france where they started playing this game. Back then they used the fat and of the cue to hit the balls with. However as often happens the fat end was very awkward to use when other balls were crowded around so they'd flip it over and use the skinny end called the tail, and the french word for tail, was cue (or a derivative of the word cue).

Is this true? St.

landshark77
01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> and the french word for tail, was cue (or a derivative of the word cue).
<hr /></blockquote>

This is your boat Wendy, isn't it?

B0B_PERKINS
01-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi Stretch... well acording to my "Dictionary of Word Origins", your friend apparently has it right. "Billiard stick" made it's appearance in the 18th centurary and according to my book cue is clearly a varient of "queue" which is from the French "tail". An interesting book... full of lots of very interesting though obscure information. ...Bob

wolfdancer
01-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Say, what's the American word for "tail" ?

Vapros
01-31-2005, 09:39 PM
This is getting complicated. I believe 'tail' is only one of the definitions for 'queue'. Here in South Louisiana, it is a part of the French expression which translates to 'Kiss my ______'. I don't think 'tail' would quite fill the bill there. Close, maybe, but not quite . . .

I'm hoping there is a better explanation than that for the name of my billiard bat.

landshark77
01-31-2005, 09:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr>'Kiss my ______'. <hr /></blockquote>
Grits???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif (When Donkeys fly, LMAO)

Eh, can you tell I'm extremely bored today? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BCgirl
02-01-2005, 03:47 AM
I've no idea how accurate the info in this site is, but it's an interesting link on billiards history, and presents a supposedly authoratative answer to your question. I like the picture of the two guys playing an early form of billiards. I do know some guys who like to cue like that, although none of them wear the cute hats and shorts.

Billiards History Link (http://www.hickoksports.com/history/billiard.shtml)

BCgirl

Wally_in_Cincy
02-01-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Players used a club-like stick, which became known as the "mace" in England.

When the ball was up against a rail, however, the head of the mace was too unwieldy and the other, narrower end of the stick was used. This was called the "queue," meaning tail--hence the modern word, cue.

<hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
02-01-2005, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Ok this guy in league play got me tonight. He said you know how the cue got it's name? I had to think for a minuit.....Damn! i know 10 trillion things about pool, but i have no idea how the thing i loved, got it's name! Does anyone here? Or as USUAL i'm the last to know.

I digress

I could use some comformation here, but APPARENTLY (according to this guy) It came from the 16th century in france where they started playing this game. Back then they used the fat and of the cue to hit the balls with. However as often happens the fat end was very awkward to use when other balls were crowded around so they'd flip it over and use the skinny end called the tail, and the french word for tail, was cue (or a derivative of the word cue).

Is this true? St. <hr /></blockquote>This is true.However, Mike Shamos has said it was the 17th century. The word for the tail (in this case the tail end of the mace) is "queue."

Fred

Fred Agnir
02-01-2005, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> This is getting complicated. I believe 'tail' is only one of the definitions for 'queue'. Here in South Louisiana, it is a part of the French expression which translates to 'Kiss my ______'. I don't think 'tail' would quite fill the bill there. Close, maybe, but not quite . . .
<hr /></blockquote>Of course it fits.

Fred

DickLeonard
02-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Bob that was my passion useless information. The only thing now that senility is fast approaching I have to ask people if I have told them it before I waste 10 minutes of their time.####

Deeman2
02-01-2005, 03:32 PM
"Why do they call a cue a Cue?" Because, if they called them "long wooden sticks", we probably wouldn't pay thousands of dollars for them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just joking. really!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Deeman

PQQLK9
02-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I wonder if it's because it's used to hit the "cue" ball?

Now, where did the "cue" ball get it's name?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif