PDA

View Full Version : Rebalancing Cue

wantsumrice
02-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Hey guys,

My cue is very back heavy, and it kind of gets to my arm after playing for a whil. I was wondering if I could get a pool shop or cue dealer to rebalance the thing? Is this possible, and if so, how do they do it?

Cueless Joey
02-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Depends if the cue has a weight bolt. I'v seen weight bolts as long as 6 inches. They can be cut down or replaced with aluminum kind.

wolfdancer
02-01-2005, 07:35 PM
you still robbing them poor unsuspecting Haaavaad frosh?

Rich R.
02-02-2005, 04:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Depends if the cue has a weight bolt. I'v seen weight bolts as long as 6 inches. They can be cut down or replaced with aluminum kind. <hr /></blockquote>
Joey, wouldn't this also change the overall weight of the cue?

The original question was about changing the balance of the cue. It is not clear if Wantsumrice is willing to accept a change in the overall weight.

If you take weight out of the butt, by changing the weight bolt, weight would have to be added, probably around the joint, to maintain the same cue weight.

If the overall weight has to stay the same, I'm not sure it is worth the trouble. I would have to look for a new cue.

wantsumrice
02-02-2005, 05:27 AM
Haha, not lately, been too busy with school and college apps...

But if rebalancing the cue is gonna be such a problem, then I think I'll just stick it out. My friend did have his rebalanced by some place that did it for around 10$.

buddha162
02-02-2005, 02:13 PM
If your cue has no insert (wood threads in shaft), you can have a cuemaker tap-thread-epoxy in a steel bolt deeper into the shaft. That's what Paul Fanelli did for one of my Predator shafts that weighed 1/2 oz lighter than the other, and it worked out great. If you have a piloted insert, you might be out of luck.

Joey G has his own method, though very similar; I'll let him chime in if he chooses to disclose.

-Roger

cheese_ball
02-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Rebalancing a cue is no big deal for any decent cuemaker. There are many things that can be done to change the balance point. If necessary, assuming your cue is weight bolt-less, you can bore out the handle with a rifle barrel bore. This will make a hollow chamber in the handle that can be re -weighted if you need more weight... Using headless weight bolts, you can then re-add the weight, but at whatever point along the bore you need to. Hope that this helps!