PDA

View Full Version : At least he has an open mind....

eg8r
02-01-2005, 02:54 PM
While surfing around I found this link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/brown/cst-nws-brown01.html) on the drudgereport. It is column written in the Sun-Times by an Anti-Iraq-War person. Drudge referred to him as liberal but I don't know. Given his column, this is probably true.

Anyways, this is one of the few people who opposed the war that has come out and at least shown his readers that he has an open mind. This is something very few of the liberals on this board have done with respect to the war in Iraq. The author definitely understands there is a long way to go, and he is not ready to concede to Bush just yet, but he is at least thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you're like me and have opposed the Iraq war since before the shooting started -- not to the point of joining any peace protests, but at least letting people know where you stood.

You didn't change your mind when our troops swept quickly into Baghdad or when you saw the rabble that celebrated the toppling of the Saddam Hussein statue, figuring that little had been accomplished and that the tough job still lay ahead.

Despite your misgivings, you didn't demand the troops be brought home immediately afterward, believing the United States must at least try to finish what it started to avoid even greater bloodshed. And while you cheered Saddam's capture, you couldn't help but thinking I-told-you-so in the months that followed as the violence continued to spread and the death toll mounted.

By now, you might have even voted against George Bush -- a second time -- to register your disapproval.

But after watching Sunday's election in Iraq and seeing the first clear sign that freedom really may mean something to the Iraqi people, you have to be asking yourself: What if it turns out Bush was right, and we were wrong?

It's hard to swallow, isn't it?

<hr /></blockquote> You can read the rest from the link. I added the bold because that is a huge statement to come from someone who was totally against the war.

eg8r

wolfdancer
02-01-2005, 06:20 PM
" Ask not.. what if...your President is the only person in
the country, that believes...
Ask ...why if...no one else around him does"
And there's the small matter of $9 bil unaccounted for,
missing in Iraq. Nine Billion....did the Sludge report mention that?
I hope Bush was on the right track, otherwise all our young
men that have been killed or wounded, those that will be killed, or wounded...it will have all been so unnecessary.

highsea
02-01-2005, 06:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>...And there's the small matter of $9 bil unaccounted for, missing in Iraq. Nine Billion....did the Sludge report mention that?<hr /></blockquote>Everyone's mentioned it, speculated on it, jumped to conclusions....

Even so, it was Iraqi money that was handed over to Iraqis. No doubt some Iraqi pockets were lined, but how much of that should the US be accountable for? Is it our responsibility to manage their money? Would you make every Iraqi ministry fill out a P.O and hand it over to the US?

At what point should the US start trusting Iraqis with their funds? The CPA made that decision. Bremer turned over a certain amount of control before the June 30 deadline. This is a pretty obvious thing to do. You can't just give them the keys and walk out the door. There needed to be a transition period.

I suppose it's easier to just blame the US, but don't you think, just maybe, some Iraqis may hold a share of the responsibility for these funds?

wolfdancer
02-01-2005, 07:00 PM
absolutely...but I wasn't aware it wasn't our $$
when you get to my age, you can just barely make out
the headlines....and tend to skip over the details.
It's still a lotta dough

Qtec
02-01-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote wolfdancer:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...And there's the small matter of $9 bil unaccounted for, missing in Iraq. Nine Billion....did the Sludge report mention that?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone's mentioned it, speculated on it, jumped to conclusions....

Even so, it was Iraqi money that was handed over to Iraqis. No doubt some Iraqi pockets were lined, but how much of that should the US be accountable for? Is it our responsibility to manage their money? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes of course. Who else?. The Iraqis who held/hold positions in the Govt were all appointed by the US. According to the US,the handling of Iraqi funds was going to be 'open and transparent"!

Quote from the report.
[ QUOTE ]
"Weaknesses in controls over oil extraction, including the absence of metering,
resulted in KPMG qualifying its audit opinion of the DFI’s statement of cash receipts
and payments. The CPA believes that unknown quantities of petroleum and
petroleum products were illegally exported from Iraq (smuggling), especially in the
early months post-hostilities, by-passing the authorized processes of marketing, sales
and cash collection." <hr /></blockquote>

Just recently $300 million in cash was taken out of a bank, loaded onto a plane and flow out of the country.

Q

highsea
02-01-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm sure you could do better Q. After all, we're just a bunch of dumb sh*ts.

-CM~~~wondering why I even bothered to log in...later guys..

eg8r
02-02-2005, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And there's the small matter of $9 bil unaccounted for,
missing in Iraq. Nine Billion....did the Sludge report mention that?
<hr /></blockquote> Judging by this reply it is evident you did not even click on the link. This was not a "sludgereport". Wake up!!!!

eg8r

wolfdancer
02-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Eiger, do me a favor...don't read, nor respond to my posts
and I'll do the same for you.
There was this line in the movie
"As Good as it Gets"...
something about "..you hateful little man..."
Anyway, if you agree to ignore me...
that'll be about as good as it gets here.

eg8r
02-02-2005, 11:18 AM
What was so bad about my reply? Did you read the link? Was it not clear to you Drudge did not write the article? I am sorry, but your post seemed like a shoot from the hip with little to zero effort at understand the "details". No, I will not discontinue reading your replies, and as I see fit, I will respond. You decide what you want to do and do it. Unless it is helpful for you, you don't even have to make a declarative post. Just do it, I catch on quickly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r