PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Dave's DVD *BEST* on Fundamentals!

Billy_Bob
02-01-2005, 06:32 PM
I finally bought Dr. Dave's DVD and book "The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards".

And WOW! The DVD is fantastic! This should have been the first DVD I bought. I learned many new *basic* things from watching this DVD.

By fantastic, I mean that it is short, to the point, and clearly demonstrates many fundamentals of shots.

-Shots like a ball near the side pocket, how to shoot it so you will not scratch in the side. And why it works. (Why speed is the key.)
-How not to scratch on shots. And why it works.
-How similar shots can radically change where the cue ball will wind up depending on speed of hit. And why it works. (Not what you would obviously think.)
-Why some shots hit hard don't work, but hit softly, they do work - and why.
-Things the other players in the pool hall don't tell you, but seem to know.

The most interesting part is the "And why it works" part. He explains some very basic things which I have not seen/read elsewhere, but which should have been mentioned in any basic book on pool. Everyone keeping this stuff a secret or something?

And these basic things are easy once you see how and why.

Everybody says practice fundamentals, but they don't say what fundamentals are exactly. Now I finally know and have fundamental shots to practice.

I will admit that I had this book/DVD on my wish list for quite some time, but put off buying it. I mistakenly thought it would be quite scientific/technical in nature. I thought it would explain what is going on, but not necessarily improve my game much. I was very wrong. It is simple shot basics explained in simple terms which anyone can easily understand.

I would recommend this DVD and book for everyone. Beginner, advanced, and pro.

"The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards"
(Should be called Fundamentals something or other...)
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/

woody_968
02-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the review. I am always looking for material that someone finds helpfull. As many know my goal is to become a billiard instructor and one of the things I am always looking for is different ways to describe things as sometimes you have to say the same things many different ways to finally get it to "click" for different people. I will look into his DVD.

wolfdancer
02-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Took your recommendation, and ordered the DVD

dr_dave
02-02-2005, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I finally bought Dr. Dave's DVD and book "The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards".

And WOW! The DVD is fantastic! This should have been the first DVD I bought. I learned many new *basic* things from watching this DVD.

By fantastic, I mean that it is short, to the point, and clearly demonstrates many fundamentals of shots.

-Shots like a ball near the side pocket, how to shoot it so you will not scratch in the side. And why it works. (Why speed is the key.)
-How not to scratch on shots. And why it works.
-How similar shots can radically change where the cue ball will wind up depending on speed of hit. And why it works. (Not what you would obviously think.)
-Why some shots hit hard don't work, but hit softly, they do work - and why.
-Things the other players in the pool hall don't tell you, but seem to know.

The most interesting part is the "And why it works" part. He explains some very basic things which I have not seen/read elsewhere, but which should have been mentioned in any basic book on pool. Everyone keeping this stuff a secret or something?

And these basic things are easy once you see how and why.

Everybody says practice fundamentals, but they don't say what fundamentals are exactly. Now I finally know and have fundamental shots to practice.

I will admit that I had this book/DVD on my wish list for quite some time, but put off buying it. I mistakenly thought it would be quite scientific/technical in nature. I thought it would explain what is going on, but not necessarily improve my game much. I was very wrong. It is simple shot basics explained in simple terms which anyone can easily understand.

I would recommend this DVD and book for everyone. Beginner, advanced, and pro.

"The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards"
(Should be called Fundamentals something or other...)
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/ <hr /></blockquote>
Billy_Bob,

Thank you so much for this extremely flattering review. If I had known you would have said so many nice things, I would have sent you a copy for free ... but I'm glad I didn't because this way your review is more honest.

Again, thank you very much.
Dave

woody_968
02-02-2005, 02:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> If I had known you would have said so many nice things, I would have sent you a copy for free ... but I'm glad I didn't because this way your review is more honest.

<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Dave, as an "Instructor in Training" I would be happy to give you an honest review of the DVD /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr_dave
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> If I had known you would have said so many nice things, I would have sent you a copy for free ... but I'm glad I didn't because this way your review is more honest.<hr /></blockquote>
Hi Dave, as an "Instructor in Training" I would be happy to give you an honest review of the DVD /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I appreciate the offer. I will consider it. (That's the answer I give to my students when they ask for things that I would like to do but really can't. It usually makes me feel better, not having to disappoint them directly.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

woody_968
02-02-2005, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> I appreciate the offer. I will consider it. (That's the answer I give to my students when they ask for things that I would like to do but really can't. It usually makes me feel better, not having to disappoint them directly.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

LOL

Thanks for the consideration /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

On a serious note I do appreciate all the work you have put into your website, and will be looking into your DVD for purchase. And when I buy it Ill still give it an honest review.

Woody

dr_dave
02-02-2005, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr>On a serious note I do appreciate all the work you have put into your website, and will be looking into your DVD for purchase. And when I buy it Ill still give it an honest review.<hr /></blockquote>
Woody, Thank you for the kind words. I hope you think my DVD is worthy of a good review.

Billy_Bob
02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> If I had known you would have said so many nice things, I would have sent you a copy for free... <hr /></blockquote>

Well I certainly owe you with all the help you have given me on this forum, so If anything, I should have paid more!

I keep trying to think of an analogy to describe your DVD, in that it explains the workings of the "component parts" of many shots and once learned, you can "re-assemble these parts" to create any other shot. (Instead of learning 3 zillion million specific shots.) And more importantly, you include *all* the parts!

I have learned other things this way in the past, but can't think of any analogy that everyone could relate to... Hummm... Well maybe math. You've got to learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division before you can go on from there. If someone does not bother to teach you one of those basics, you will have trouble later on...

dr_dave
02-02-2005, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> If I had known you would have said so many nice things, I would have sent you a copy for free... <hr /></blockquote>

Well I certainly owe you with all the help you have given me on this forum, so If anything, I should have paid more!

I keep trying to think of an analogy to describe your DVD, in that it explains the workings of the "component parts" of many shots and once learned, you can "re-assemble these parts" to create any other shot. (Instead of learning 3 zillion million specific shots.) And more importantly, you include *all* the parts!

I have learned other things this way in the past, but can't think of any analogy that everyone could relate to... Hummm... Well maybe math. You've got to learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division before you can go on from there. If someone does not bother to teach you one of those basics, you will have trouble later on...
<hr /></blockquote>
Thanks again for your nice remarks. I appreciate them.

LARRY_BOY
02-06-2005, 11:07 AM
I bought the dvd on your recomendation and you were right. It starts off rather basic but goes on to answer many questions I have had in the past......thanks for the tip.

Billy_Bob
02-06-2005, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> I bought the dvd on your recomendation and you were right. It starts off rather basic but goes on to answer many questions I have had in the past......thanks for the tip. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. It is like "Ding! Ah Ha!".

Now that I finally know this basic stuff, I'm totally revising my practice to shoot practice shots for each fundamental Dr. Dave has taught me. And practice these things on a regular basis. So for once I will truly be working on my fundamentals (now that I know what they are).

When other players [now] see me waving my stick around the table looking for tangent lines and such and make some silly comment, I tell them I saw the pros doing it on TV and that it must bring good luck or something - also that it looks impressive and looks like you know what you are doing, so I gave it a try and it seems to help! Never fails to get a few laughs from the guys who *really* know what I am doing.

sensual7
02-06-2005, 08:07 PM
question no.1 :

you are not getting paid for your testimonials are you ?

question no.2 :

can this dvd be bought in europe or japan ?
can it be shipped ?

reagrds
sensual7

dr_dave
02-06-2005, 09:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sensual7:</font><hr> question no.1 :
you are not getting paid for your testimonials are you ?<hr /></blockquote>I assure you ... I have not paid anyone.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sensual7:</font><hr>question no.2 :
can it be shipped ?<hr /></blockquote>Yes. See the non US section (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/purchase_non_us.html) on the website for details.

Billy_Bob
02-06-2005, 09:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sensual7:</font><hr> question no.1 :
you are not getting paid for your testimonials are you ?
question no.2 :
can it be shipped ?
<hr /></blockquote>

Nope, not being paid. I'm just a learning pool player same as many other people here. If he wanted to pay someone to promote his DVD/Book/CD, he would do better spending his money on a famous pro rather than myself. Also notice I did not say to buy the book or CD... (I have not read the book yet, so can't comment on it.)

May want to ask Dr. Dave about shipping. Link above. (I don't know...) But I am learning about international video's and DVD's...

So far as Europe/Japan, I just ordered some videos from the UK (Jason Twist) and these are in PAL format. They can not be viewed on a regular U.S. NTSC VCR and TV. So I assume that the opposite is true?

Other countries have videos and TV's in a different format than the US which is NTSC format. A "Multi Region VCR" can play a PAL video or a NTSC video on a PAL TV or a NTSC TV. And I think France has a format called SECAM. Also I read something about "code free" or "region free" DVD players and something about DVD's sold in one country only working on DVD players sold in that country???

I don't know if this is the case with pool DVD's or not. Or if a U.S. sold DVD would be in a "NTSC" format and not work elsewhere? Anyone know? Link follows to "region free DVD" page and multi region VCR...

Region Free DVD...
http://www.regionfreedvd.net/

Multi-Region VCR...
http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index.html?catalog60_0.html

Billy_Bob
02-07-2005, 02:00 AM
FYI - I did find a web page which says U.S. DVD's and DVD players are NTSC and European DVD's and DVD players are PAL. It is the first link below. The second link says which country uses which standard.

Regional DVD - PAL/NTSC...
http://www.dvdoverseas.com/dvd.htm

Which countries use PAL, NTSC, SECAM...
http://www.vidpro.org/standards.htm

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> FYI - I did find a web page which says U.S. DVD's and DVD players are NTSC and European DVD's and DVD players are PAL. It is the first link below. The second link says which country uses which standard.

Regional DVD - PAL/NTSC...
http://www.dvdoverseas.com/dvd.htm

Which countries use PAL, NTSC, SECAM...
http://www.vidpro.org/standards.htm
<hr /></blockquote>
Thank you Billy_Bob. That's useful information.