PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Archer & Scorpion Challenge of Puerto Rico

Harold Acosta
02-01-2005, 08:57 PM
As some of you know, Johnny Archer and his family were recently in Puerto Rico for the Scorpion Challenge. It was a 2 day event, in which the winner of our Local Tournament would face Johnny Archer for another $500 prize.

We had 16 players in the event (there were only 2 Brunswick Tables), double elimination format, race to 7 in winner's bracket, race to 5 in "B" bracket.

Four (4) National Champions were among the 16 players. Current National Champ, German Hernandez, and past national champs, Alan Rolon, Edgardo Ramirez, and Juan Rodriguez.

Alan Rolon, Edgardo Ramirez, and German Hernandez made it to the final 4. The other one who made it was upcoming young gun Miguel "Pito" Batista, who was part of the "Puerto Rican Contingent" at recent US Open.

Archer gave a few exhibitions, signed autographs, and posters for all those present at the event. He also posed for pictures with the fans and players and then spoke publicly and thanked everyone before the final Challenge begun.

We conducted a radio interview with Johnny for a local radio station Saturday morning. I was given the privilege to do the interview in English while Fernando Calvo, promoter and owner of the event tranlated for the Spanish speaking audience and crowd.

We spoke about Team Puerto Rico beating the US in 1993; about some of the Puerto Rican Players in the U.S, and the entire "Puerto Rican Contingent" at the US Open (Jose Garcia, Tony Robles, Frankie Hernandez, Robby Saez, Julio Aquino, Mike Lebron, Flaco Rodriguez, Alan Rolon, Jason Cruz, Pito Batista, and Edgardo Irizarry.

It was a good interview and everything flowed quite nicely.

Yesterday, I was invited to a BBQ and had the chance to be with Archer, his family, and several friends and acquaintances of Mr. Calvo, the event promoter. Johnny is such a superb guy, very friendly, likeable and humble. We all had a great time and Johnny and his wife Melanie are willing to visit us again next year.

Overall, everything came out great. Johnny and Melanie were happy, the fans, players, sponsors, Mr. Fernando Calvo and all the staff of the event. The undersigned served as Tournament Director.

The following info was posted at the AZ Billiards website. The article was written by Carlos Calvo, the event promoter's son.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Mike Howerton for posting the information at his website. I also want to thank Billiards Digest for letting me post this info at this board.

Archer triumphant in Puerto Rico

In front of a raucous crowd who cheered every shot made, Johnny Archer won the Scorpion Challenge in the beautiful island of Puerto Rico. The man who made it to the special main event, which was no easy task, was 4-time National Champion Alan Rolon. With precise shotmaking and great safety play, Archer didn't let Rolon get into his game and won the match by scores of 9-3 and 9-5.

By the start of the second day, only 4 players had the chance to meet up with the Future Hall of Famer, 3 of them being past National Champions. On the loser's side, Edgardo Ramirez, considered by many as the best pool player ever from the island battled the young hot-shot from the tournament, Miguel 'Pito' Batista. 'Pito' quickly jumped out to a 2-0 lead, but a missed 6-ball and two 9-balls on the break changed the momentum and proved to be the difference in that one, as Ramirez gutted it out for a 5-3 win.

On the winner's side, 4-Time National Champ, Rolon, battled current champion German Hernandez. Rolon had his groove on and made shot after shot for a 7-1 win to reach the hot seat. Hernandez was headed to the loser's bracket where Ramirez was waiting. Hernandez, clearly frustrated from his match with Rolon, couldn't do much, and Ramirez advanced to face his long time nemesis in the finals. Rolon wouldn't be denied the chance to play with Archer before the hometown crowd. He went to work from the 1st rack and got a 9-5 victory, while the whole crowd grew with expectations awaiting to see the legend Johnny Archer. Rolon got $700 cash, a brand new Scorpion Cue and a weekend hotel stay for a total of $1,075. In addition, he would represent Puerto Rico in the Scorpion Challenge for an additional $500. The only problem is he ran into Archer, who put on a dazzling display of quality pool.

With over $2,500 in prizes and hundreds of fans on both days, the tournament was a huge success. Fernando Calvo, owner of Players Pool Hall, in Yauco, Puerto Rico, who hosted the event, credited Johnny Archer and Scorpion Cues for the success of the event. 'Mr. Johnny Archer is as classy as they come. He's been amazing on every aspect. I really want to thank him and Scorpion Cues for all the help they've given us.' he said.

By Carlos Calvo - January 31, 2005

Needless to say, this event provided me with valuable experience and has given me renewed energy and spritual strength to continue working with the growth of our Puerto Rican Federation.

Mr. Fernando Calvo gave me a vote of confidence by letting me be part of all the planning, organization and structure of this important event. We definitely pulled this one off for the benefit of all the fans, players, and for the sake of this "Grand" sport.

I also want to thank all those CCB'ers that "tolerate" my postings here at the Board.

In addition, "Special Thanks" to all those whom assisted me back in 2002 when we got "Tony Robles" to represent Puerto Rico at the World Pool Championships in Cardiff. Their strong support encouraged me to create our own Federation and since then, we have been present at two other World Championships in the past two years.

I could not have done any of this without the help of the members of this board and Billiards Digest. I'm eternally in debt with all of you.

Your friend,

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Billiard Federation
(Federacion Puertorriquena de Billar)

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/animated-stars.gif

PQQLK9
02-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the Info Harold.
I'm glad the event was successful.

Rich R.
02-02-2005, 04:06 AM
Harold, the success of an event, like this, depends in a large part on those involved in the organization and planning of the event.
Good job Harold and congratulations. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
02-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Congrats, sounds like everything went well--wished I was there! I noticed Jason Cruz didn't play?

eg8r
02-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey Harold,

I am happy everything went well. I guess Jason did not make it to the finals, but I expect one day we will see him there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Harold Acosta
02-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Jason did not make it to the event. He was studying for his CPA exam. Jason has already graduated from College.

Harold Acosta
02-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Jason was studying and taking his CPA exam. (Certified Public Accountant).

He did make it on Sunday to watch his good friend Alan against Archer.

Harold Acosta
02-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Thank you Rich. It seems that our efforts paid-off.

Harold Acosta
02-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Lots of hard work but I'm getting the hand of this.

Thanks for your support.