PDA

View Full Version : Scratch on break

ChuckR
02-02-2005, 06:40 AM
I seem to have more than the normal amount of scratches in the side pocket when I try breaking from the side of the table in 9 ball like I see on TV. If I break from the right, instead of the 1 ball going in the left side, it's the cueball. Any suggestions?

Sid_Vicious
02-02-2005, 07:00 AM
You are trying in error to hit the 1 on the front of the ball like you do on a center table break, so aim a tad at a pinpoint toward the side you are breaking on. I do the same thing at times and have to remenber to adjust, else you'll cough up a scratch a lot. Also, maybe you are trying to put too much speed on it and losing physical alignement. IMO power is overrated in the 9-ball break. Make a ball or two and run, using 80% of your power. If you must power the break, back off until you regain control, then add it back in...sid~~~ready for those with opposite opinions to fling arrows

christopheradams
02-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Your probably:
1. Not hitting the 1 ball solid enough/head on. I know some people acutally try purposely not to hit the one solid and aim to hit half the ball. If your trying to do this you are probably hitting it to far to the side your scrachting on. YOu should try to hit the ball more solid if not totally solid(full ball)

2. You could be using too much draw. Just to show yourself that you can definately not scratch in the side, play the break with top spin. The cue may get kicked in the side but it should not directly stracth in the side.

3. You could also be aiming to hit the one ball solid but applying left or right English and causeing the cue ball to deflect and mishhitting the one. Make sure you are on the center axis of the cue ball

4. Your rail bridge could also be a little wobbly. Make sure its solid. I personally don't like the rail bridge and would rather break from the side with an open bridge.

5. Another thing to play around with is what you look at last. I know most instruction says you should look at the cue ball last to get a stunning effect on the rack, but I experimented with that and find looking at the 1 ball last is better for me and allows me to hit the 1 more solid just like on a regular shot.

6. Try taking a little off the speed of the break and hitting it solid and then build your speed up gradually.

7. Break the rack with a sriped ball and observe the spin or have partner observe the spin that the striped ball takes on the way to the rack.

Fred Agnir
02-02-2005, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> I seem to have more than the normal amount of scratches in the side pocket when I try breaking from the side of the table in 9 ball like I see on TV. If I break from the right, instead of the 1 ball going in the left side, it's the cueball. Any suggestions? <hr /></blockquote>Aim differently. Seriously.

I realized last week or the week before that I shoot three or four different styles of bank shots:

Cross over
Back cut
Hold up
Straight

I don't know how many times in my life I"ve come up long on a long rail back cut bank, but I finally figured out the simple secret: aim shorter. duh. My bank make percentage has gone up like crazy.

So, every time I hear someone say "I always undercut that," or something similar, bells go off. The definition of insanity is to try do the same thing over and over in the same way, but expect different results.

If you always (or most always) hit the cue ball such that it flies to the left side pocket, you either are aiming wrong or are accidentally hitting the cueball with right english. I like the quick fix. Either aim with left english by pivoting or aim to the right of the one ball. For a long-term fix, see an instructor.

Fred

bluey2king
02-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Check out Dr. Dave's web site. He has a good video on two Nine ball Breaks. I have had pretty good luck with the harder break, hard but under control.
Bluey

ceebee
02-02-2005, 10:04 AM
if you are hitting the lead ball, in the same place you are aiming, your aiming spot is obviously incorrect. If you are aiming to hit the lead ball square, but the cue ball rebounds to the side, into a pocket or rail, then your stroke is probably crossing the intended path. Maybe you need to drop some speed &amp; recoup some accuracy.