PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Ferrules And BCA Rules Attitude

Sid_Vicious
02-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Ok I understand that anything below an 11mm tip is illegal in BCA, but I'm finding it difficult to get an LD to enforce it. What's the truth in the rule, an infraction? If so then why are so many directors I'm finding hesitant to enforce it? How do you personally feel about it???sid

Deeman2
02-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Sid,

Just a question, but do you feel people with a 9mm shaft/tip diameter have an advantage of some sort. I realize it might allow a little extra draw but then they lose so much control, I wonder what the origins of the rule might be?, envy of snookers players?

Just wondering...

Deeman

ceebee
02-02-2005, 07:50 AM
wow, I can't believe someone would even try to play pool with such a small tipped cue. If the professionals prefer 12-13mm, that should be a good guideline for us wannabees.

Napoleon Bonaparte once said.. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Sid_Vicious
02-02-2005, 09:08 AM
It's simply a BCA rule, maybe not one I understand, but obviously it is something that BCA considered worthy of making a special rule over. A rule is a rule, right? sid

To be more clear on my opinion on this, it's not really the fact that an advantage exists or not(but I'd like to know why the BCA even cares as well), it is the question of why rules can exist which for some reason get to be exempted by LDs who are judging by specific rulesets. My LD's response was "Wwell, no one else has any trouble with him using it, and I don't either." HEY! Ain't I SOMEBODY...sid

Deeman2
02-02-2005, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> wow, I can't believe someone would even try to play pool with such a small tipped cue. If the professionals prefer 12-13mm, that should be a good guideline for us wannabees.

<font color="blue"> ceebee,

As rule on smaller shaft diameters, I agree with you. I do, however, have a few snooker cues in that size that I used when I lived in Europe (Western Islamic Republic in the near future). Anyway, I believe a person could get an unfair advantage in certain draw and english shots with that small a diameter cue as I had to always really be careful not to over draw balls on the few occasions I played pool with those shafts (went to snooker place, ended up finding pool table). Again, if used for every shot, you would be probably more punished for off center hits. </font color>

Deeman
knows why they call "draw" "screw" in Europe....

Napoleon Bonaparte once said.. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn
02-02-2005, 10:32 AM
From my experience with the BCA I would say it is arbitrary. They felt the need to create guide lines on equipment and that is what they settled on. "Hay Larry, what do you think, 11 millimeter?" "Sounds good to me Moe, what do you think curly?" "wo wo wo wo wo, I love working for the BCA, yuk yuk". da da da da, da da, dum.

Bob_Jewett
02-02-2005, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ok I understand that anything below an 11mm tip is illegal in BCA, but I'm finding it difficult to get an LD to enforce it. What's the truth in the rule, an infraction? If so then why are so many directors I'm finding hesitant to enforce it? How do you personally feel about it???sid <hr /></blockquote>
For what it's worth, I think it's a totally bogus rule.

Using a small tip gives no unfair advantage to a player. The top-rated player in our 14.1 league uses a 9 or 10-mm tip. He isn't top-rated because he has a small tip; he's up there because he misses fewer balls that anyone else.

I don't know who put that rule in there, but they made a mistake.

randyg
02-08-2005, 07:37 AM
SID: I don't see that in the BCA Rule Book. Were did you find it....randyg

Fred Agnir
02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ok I understand that anything below an 11mm tip is illegal in BCA, <hr /></blockquote>No it isn't. There is no minimum. There is a maximum of 14mm, however.

Fred

SPetty
02-08-2005, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> There is no minimum. There is a maximum of 14mm, however.<hr /></blockquote>Did there used to be a minimum? I didn't doubt what Sid had said because I thought I remembered that there was a minimum.

Barbara
02-08-2005, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Did there used to be a minimum? I didn't doubt what Sid had said because I thought I remembered that there was a minimum. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, there used to be a minimum. I believe it was 9 mm.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
02-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Ok I never saw a BCA rule in print on this, but over the decade of playing league, I know it's been circulated in the past around here. Anyone else remember it as an old rule possibly been changed? sid

eg8r
02-08-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I understand that anything below an 11mm tip is illegal in BCA, but I'm finding it difficult to get an LD to enforce it. [ QUOTE ]
Ok I never saw a BCA rule in print on this, but over the decade of playing league, I know it's been circulated in the past around here. Anyone else remember it as an old rule possibly been changed? <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> This might be why you are having a problem getting them to enforce the rule. Whether it was an old rule or never a rule, if it is not a rule now then there is no need for the LD to enforce it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I played in a tournament a few weeks ago when Stretch was in town and the rules were APA rules. I could not believe a few of the rules. Luckily the people I was playing against let me know the rules (they did not have to), or else I would have screwed up a couple times. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r