PDA

View Full Version : Arm stroke thought.: "Bicept curls" "no shoulder"

christopheradams
02-02-2005, 07:25 AM
When I am doing drills I find that this arm stroke thought seems to help me to do a nice follow through without getting the shoulder into play. The thought of a bicept curl like when you do bicept curls with free weights. You should think of the the forearm of your stroking arm coming down and hitting your bicept on your stroke. Its not actually a bicept curl because of the position of the wrist but when I do drills this can help me to get a good pendulum stroke going instead of pushing or poking at the cue ball. I thinks a bad flaw is dropping the elbow early and rotating at the shoulder.

ceebee
02-02-2005, 08:03 AM
there is a good anatomical reason for not employing the shoulder into the stroke. The shoulder joint has a socket that allows for spherical movement. The shoulder is a ball joint, that could allow the upperarm, elbow, forearm & grip to wander in the stroke, hence a crooked stroke.

The elbow joint is a planer joint. Once you have postioned your grip on the cue, the elbow joint allows the cue to go back & forth, generally in parallel direction to the direction your upperarm is pointing.

The shooting arm is generally the hero or the dog in your stroke. Lack of knowledge could also be the culprit.

Cueless Joey
02-02-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm trying really hard to stick to this follow-through as it's making me shoot straighter. Salute (http://joeyincali.mypicgallery.com/samsara/post-shot_large.jpg)