PDA

View Full Version : What do You Pay for Health Ins?

Gayle in MD
02-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I was just wondering, what folks pay for their health insurance. Since we are in business, and sixtyish, we pay $1,100.00 a month for Carefirst, B/C B/S. I am beginning to think I need to do some shopping. We do have good coverage, but that's a lot of money every month for health insurance.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sid_Vicious
02-02-2005, 09:34 AM
I heard some pitiful facts about middle class Americans with good insurance Gayle. Many who end up with prolonging maladys with their health, catastropic situations, end up filing for bankrupcy. The term used for this compared insurance to "an umbrella which melts in the rain." Sad...sid

nAz
02-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Right now i pay 35 a month on union dues and i am lucky to get a great health package out of it including full prescription and dental. but the pay suxs /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DavidMorris
02-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Through my employer I pay about $45 per week for family health and dental, including prescription benefits. It's pretty good, but I hate to think of what would happen if I lost or changed jobs. My wife has lupus and with the pre-existing condition restrictions on most health plans today it would likely be very difficult and expensive to maintain her level of treatment.

Medical costs are out of control, and as a moderate conservative it's one of those things that I tend to lean left on -- I think government sponsored or regulated health care for everyone is generally a good thing if implemented properly. From my experience over there, it works very well in Germany. However Canada has trouble with theirs from what I hear from Canadian friends -- appointments for things like MRI's and other such tests can take a year or more.

eg8r
02-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Hello Gayle,

Through my employer I have very good health, dental and vision insurance for about $32 a week. My family own a couple businesses and it costs about $900 a month for their insurance.

eg8r

Voodoo Daddy
02-02-2005, 11:02 AM
I pay about $4.50 every two weeks or about $117.00 a year. My folks last year paid in insurance and meds around 22K, they are both over 65 and have Medicare/Medicade but feel that they needed the sumplimental insurance. If they didnt carry that extra insurance the last five years their bills would have been over 1.5M!! $1100.00 a month is about right IMO.

Deeman2
02-02-2005, 01:23 PM
About $940 a month but it, like most private insurance, never pays anything. I just keep it in case of catastrophic illness, if that happens.

Deeman

Chopstick
02-02-2005, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Hello Gayle,

Through my employer I have very good health, dental and vision insurance for about $32 a week. My family own a couple businesses and it costs about $900 a month for their insurance.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I was on the $75 a week plan for a few years. When I finally used it I found out it wasn't worth it so I cut it back. The cheaper stuff was actually better.

Popcorn
02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
I pay $1027.37 a month BCBS for my wife and I. It is a group plan but I am in the process of getting an individual plan. Even if it cost around the same it is more under control. This group plan can just go up and up.

cueball1950
02-02-2005, 09:02 PM
well i am covered under my wife's insurance plan from her job at the state of NY. Now that she is retired on disability we pay about 200.00 a month. Now if she was on a single plan. only 42.00 per month...
But like someone else here stated, if she was to change now the restrictions because of the pre existing condition would not be feasible. Sometimes i guess it is just better to stay where you are..................mike

Popcorn
02-03-2005, 12:07 AM
My sister-in-law lives in Germany and the health care is awful. If you ever get to see a doctor the treatment is worse then what an indigent would get here at any county hospital. Her son broke his arm and they set it so badly he is partially handicapped now. It is like, "What are you complaining about, you didn't die."

DavidMorris
02-03-2005, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> My sister-in-law lives in Germany and the health care is awful. If you ever get to see a doctor the treatment is worse then what an indigent would get here at any county hospital. Her son broke his arm and they set it so badly he is partially handicapped now. It is like, "What are you complaining about, you didn't die." <hr /></blockquote>
Well, when I was over there I was on Uncle Sam's dime, but several German friends described it as being wonderful. Maybe it was all relative, because they didn't know what quality healthcare was, I dunno.

But I can say that what direct experience I had with German healthcare was positive. My youngest daughter was born over there in a German hospital under the care of a private German OB/GYN -- because my Cavalry squadron post was in a small, somewhat remote town and the nearest military hospital was over an hour away. The care we received during the numerous well-baby visits with the German doctor was great, as was the hospital care during and after the birth. In some ways better than what we received at well-respected military hospitals/clinics in the states. In the US -- barring complications -- mothers and babies are sent home in a day or two (because of insurance requirements), over there they kept you for a week minimum to ensure mother and baby were doing well and the mother knew how to properly care for the child.

Mind you my experience was 15 years ago, so things may be different now.

Popcorn
02-03-2005, 10:00 AM
"over there they kept you for a week minimum to ensure mother and baby were doing well and the mother knew how to properly care for the child."

That is really not true. When my sister-in-law had her last baby my wife went over there to help out before the birth. Then the baby came they sent my sister-in-law home I believe the next day. My wife argued with them not to do it but she came home anyway. She hemorrhaged and almost died. My wife said the baby looked like there was a problem and sure enough it stopped breathing during the night. She was sitting up with it because she was so concerned and saved it's life. I have spent a lot of time in Germany and the story is always the same when it comes to the health care. Most arrogant Germans will not admit it though. I'm not kidding they have real blinders on when it comes to certain things. Ask one about the holocaust. I was at Dachau and when we got back to the house you would think we didn't do anything that day. No one asked us about where we were and would even talk about it. They pretend it didn't happen and if it does come up they say the Americans just exaggerate, I was shocked. From my experience they are kind of a strange people and have a national arrogance and conceit that is hard to explain and it seems to be in all of them. They can't be objective about anything when it comes to Germany. You can't even make a land line phone call, it is like playing a slot machine using one of their phones. They pretend nothing is wrong and act like they like it that way when you say something about it. I know I am sounding like I hate Germans, I don't, but they are hard people to understand. If we had a phone system in the US that didn't work we would he having a fit. Not them, they accept it, as well as standing in long lines to just shop, stores that just arbitrarily close for no reason, won't return items and I could go on. They just stay good little Germans and don't complain.

Gayle in MD
02-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Thank you everyone for replying to my post. Your answers are very interesting. This health care problem in our country is really difficult. I would never have dreamed that we would be paying over a thousand dollars a month for health insurance when we were young! I guess I should count my blessings that we so seldom have to use it though!

Thanks again!
Love,
Gayle

SnakebyteXX
02-03-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From my experience they are kind of a strange people and have a national arrogance and conceit that is hard to explain and it seems to be in all of them. They can't be objective about anything when it comes to Germany. <hr /></blockquote>

You may be right but it may not be an exclusively German trait. Many countrys have done things in their past that aren't proud of. How many Americans do you think would willingly step up to the plate and accept responsibility for the genocide of Native Americans, the enslavement of African Americans or the internment of the Nisei during WWII?

"I didn't do it." "That happened a long time ago." "I wasn't even born yet."

Snake

Popcorn
02-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Count your blessings you can afford to pay it. I hate paying over $1000. a month but it would be worse if I couldn't pay it. I think when I get the individual plan it will be about $800. for the two of us. Small groups are no good any more.

cheesemouse
02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Popcorn,

These antidotal aurguments are not very helpful. He is a graph on life expectancy/infant death rate.....

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004393.html

Popcorn
02-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't know, Americans are the first to point fingers at ourselves and when we don't like something we say so, they don't. You know it was not till recently you could even buy gas on a weekend over there. If you were low on gas on Friday you were in trouble. Could you even imagine this in America, people would revolt. If you buy an item in the store you better like it because the concept of exchanging or returning is almost unknown to them. You stand in line at a grocery store all the way to the back of the store trying to check out and have to bring your own bags and bag your groceries yourself. They live almost backwards buy what we think here is just a normal standard of living. The term customers service does not even exist there. The point is, they put up with it. They are scared to death of police or any authority. You never complain or make waves like a bunch of good little Germans. Forget trying to start a business it is almost impossible. My brother-in-law is a master jeweler, (that is what they are called over there, he has years of training) and can barely make a living. I wanted him to come here and go into business, you should see the stuff he makes, but there is no way he will ever leave his beloved Germany, instead he stay there and starves. They are lucky my wife's family can afford to keep sending them money or they couldn't even get by.

Popcorn
02-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Not meant to be an argumenent, I am just telling you what it is like there. My wife goes back and forth several times a year and her family still has a lot of property there and some family members live there.
In explanation for that figure, all mothers there will get some kind of pre natal care and after care even if it is not so good. Here we have zillions of babies born to women who get no proper care, drug babies and so on and it adds to the figure. The truth is, any care even if poor, is better then none. My original point was that the care there is bad and not the kind of care you would want, but I guess better then nothing if that is your only choice. If every single mother had the opportunity to get the proper care that is available in this country we would have most likely the lowest number on the chart.

SnakebyteXX
02-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Popcorn -

My wife was born in Darmstadt and almost immediately adopted by an American couple. We know her mother was German but we know nothing of her German heritage.

Hmmm... Wonder if she could get dual citizenship?

Snake

DavidMorris
02-03-2005, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Quote
"over there they kept you for a week minimum to ensure mother and baby were doing well and the mother knew how to properly care for the child."

That is really not true. When my sister-in-law had her last baby my wife went over there to help out before the birth. Then the baby came they sent my sister-in-law home I believe the next day. My wife argued with them not to do it but she came home anyway. She hemorrhaged and almost died. My wife said the baby looked like there was a problem and sure enough it stopped breathing during the night. <hr /></blockquote>
Maybe it's a regional thing, because our experience was totally different. I lived there for 3 years, from '89 to '92, and like I said I was there as a US soldier but lived on the economy for almost 2 years. My wife and baby saw a German doctor and she was born in a German hospital. My wife had no complications nor did my daughter, and they still kept them in the hospital for a week, and it wasn't unusual -- when I expressed surprise at the long stay I was told that it was routine and one of the things that Germans did differently. Maybe times have changed and things are different now, or maybe this was the only place in the country like this, I don't know.

Now I do agree with you on German arrogance and the peculiar cultural differences. However some of the nicest people I've known were Germans I met while over there, and the welcome that the entire town of Amberg threw for us when my unit returned from Gulf War I was most touching.