PDA

View Full Version : Break Cues

bluey2king
02-02-2005, 09:15 AM
I am considering a new cue (inexpensive) to Break with and to have as a Back up in case I lose a tip. I saw a specific Break cue at the local dealer about $190. I am looking on ebay for something under $100 with a Uni-Loc joint. How much difference does one of these "Break cues" make? I can always put a phenloic (sic) tip on a extra shaft that I have.
Comments please
Bluey

ceebee
02-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Quote >>How much difference does one of these "Break cues" make? << Unquote

Good Question.

Answer ... A lot, if you are a good player. If you are an intermediate player, maybe not. A break cue nor a play cue is a magic wand. Until the break shot becomes an issue in winning games for you, a wall cue will probably do.

No one I know, throws away $300-$2500 for a Cue, just to get rid of some money. Everyone I play with has a GOOD QUALITY Break Cue.. an Ash Kicker, Sledgehammer, Predator BK or an Arnot...

NOTE: I do not suggest anyone break with a playing cue, because of the damage done to the tip.

Sid_Vicious
02-02-2005, 12:13 PM
"NOTE: I do not suggest anyone break with a playing cue, because of the damage done to the tip."

I've always lived by that analogy too, but I found out something funny the day my break cue was stolen. I could break with my play cue, backing off speed about 20%, and many times I made 2 balls, but surprisingly the one was almost always into the left side pocket, "Just like ESPN." I'm going to break with a different break cue tonight instead of the play cue, but I am going to try and think like it's a precious cue just the same. All in all, I am beginning to think that even my play cue's tip would be fine for breaks, even if I DID hammer the break. Many players I know break with their regular cues, and for the life of me, I can't remember one breakdown on their equipment.

I'm not trying to be contradicting CeeBee, just observant...sid

Fred Agnir
02-02-2005, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "NOTE: I do not suggest anyone break with a playing cue, because of the damage done to the tip."

I've always lived by that analogy too, but I found out something funny the day my break cue was stolen. I could break with my play cue, backing off speed about 20%, and many times I made 2 balls, but surprisingly the one was almost always into the left side pocket, "Just like ESPN." <hr /></blockquote>I've always broken better with my shooting stick. Unfortunately, my shooting sticks have had the scars to prove it. So, it has been my effort to have a stick exactly the same weight and balance as my shooting stick as my breaking stick. Now with phenolic tips, that idea is more accessible to people.

Fred

bluey2king
02-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Thats what I am thinking Fred. I have a Lucasi that I like and if I could find another one with the Uni-Loc I could switch shafts if I needed to.
Fred I just saw you in "Inside Pool" I picked it up yesterday. Wow What Beautiful cues!!! The Butterfly is out of this world!!!