PDA

View Full Version : From hop shot to jump shot? please!!!!!

poolturtle
02-02-2005, 02:46 PM
I am having trouble jumping the cue ball. I've read books, seen a couple of videos, and watched Mike Massey jump them one-handed. I've tried to emulate the angles, strokes, grips....everything, and the most I can do is the beginner shot where you put 2 balls just under a ball's width apart and jump the gap! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CarolNYC
02-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi there,
One thing you can do is, put the cueball near a rail and bridge off the rail,down into the cueball and when you stroke it, stroke it as if your going to drive your cue right through the ball into the cloth-Im sorry, its so hard for me to explain things-Im better showing!
Hope this helped!
Carol

Deeman2
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> I am having trouble jumping the cue ball. I've read books, seen a couple of videos, and watched Mike Massey jump them one-handed. I've tried to emulate the angles, strokes, grips....everything, and the most I can do is the beginner shot where you put 2 balls just under a ball's width apart and jump the gap! Any help would be greatly appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I'll do the best I can. I'm not a great jump shot maker but get by. I use my regular cue for most jumps unless they are very close (cue ball to object ball). I have to feel I am "exploding" into the cue ball to get a good jump. It's like throwing the cue stick through the ball on normal jump shots. If I'm very close to the ball to be jumped, I'll use my 40" jump cue with a phenolic tip and the feel is, as best I can describe, a whip motion with my wrist. You are bouncing the ball up off the cloth and you sort of have to visualize this.

If Spiderman reads this, he can probably help more as he only leaves himself jump shots so he gets all kinds of experience... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Deeman
will be sorry he said that....naw

poolturtle
02-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks. I'm going down to my 2nd home, er, the pool hall, in a bit. I'll try those things.

mksmith713
02-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Poolturtle, what kind of tip do you have on your jump cue?
That can make a world of difference.
I can barely clear a ball with a standard hard tip but can nearly hit the ceiling with a phenolic tip...NOT!!! b ut they do jump better....

wolfdancer
02-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Carol has a good suggestion, and here's mine.
I don't have much of a stroke, but have no trouble
with a jump shot.....and I've been able to teach a
few players to jump, in just a few minutes.
Just imagine that the cueball has an equater line,
and as you raise the angle of your cue, the cueball
rotates so that that line raises with it.
All you have to do is hit just below the new equater
line, using an open bridge, and a quick "jab" stroke,
pretending that you are going to follow thru, to the cloth.
The open bridge allows the cue to deflect upwards.
It's speed of the stroke, not power...hey, you're using a
light cue to begin with.
And if you already can jump half a ball as you say....you're
already on your way.
You might be hitting a little too high, which traps, or pinches the ball...like a masse, or piquet
You might be quitting on the shot, afraid of tearing the cloth
or you could be trying for power, and not speed.
Somebody can have you jumping with ease, in one quick lesson
Now draw...that's a different story.....one of these days
I'll learn how

poolturtle
02-02-2005, 03:24 PM
ok, forgive my naivity, but what's the difference in phenolic tips? (including average cost?) Sad to say, I don't have a jump cue yet. I've been studying the game for about 6 years, but I'm just now getting around to buying decent equipment. I play with a 5 piece Brunswick cue that was a gift a few years back. Don't know anything about it, though, except that it plays beautifully for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Another stupid question: are 5 piece cues considered to be a form of jump cues?

Stretch
02-02-2005, 04:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> I am having trouble jumping the cue ball. I've read books, seen a couple of videos, and watched Mike Massey jump them one-handed. I've tried to emulate the angles, strokes, grips....everything, and the most I can do is the beginner shot where you put 2 balls just under a ball's width apart and jump the gap! Any help would be greatly appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>

Here's how it was explained to me. Look at the cue ball like it was a peach and imagine where the pit is inside it. No matter what the elevation, you aim just to the bottom of where that pit is. You throw the cue at that spot with excelleration and an ultra light grip. I can get that with little more than wrist action. It's more of a "snap" than a "stroke". To line up the shot, see where the aiming line goes through the impedeing ball and use that part of the ball as an alignment refference for the shot. Then think air....no really! LOL You've got to beleeeeve it's going to jump. St.

wolfdancer
02-02-2005, 05:50 PM
That reply was, well it was, just "peachy"
Nice visual aid though...never hee'rd ah that
description...and easier to imagine then my
"line".