PDA

View Full Version : Tip and hardness recommendation for Novice

olgoat
02-02-2005, 03:30 PM
All
I am a novice player shooting a McDermott 19oz cue. I would like to upgrade the tip but am unclear about what hardness would be the best to consider. I am not using any english at this point. Just trying to get my cut shots down.

I am looking at adding a dedicated break cue so my shooting cue would not have to do double duty.

Any suggestions on brand and hardness would be much appreciated.

Talisman (soft or Med)?
Moori (soft or Med)?
Sumo ?
Others ?

Thanks
Tim

poolturtle
02-02-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't know anything about tips, except I personally prefer a harder tip. As far as breaking with your playing cue, I would recommend using a house cue or anything else besides your good playing cue. I've warped more than a few inexpensive sticks breaking with them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SpiderMan
02-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Unless you have an established preference for softer tips, I doubt you will find one that plays better than a Triangle. A Moori may last longer, and may require less-frequent reshaping, but I don't think it will play any better.

Try a Triangle, don't trim it too short, and see what you think.

SpiderMan

Troy
02-03-2005, 08:01 AM
I would go with a Medium hardness tip. Talisman and Moori are both good tips but relatively expensive. A Le Pro or Triangle would be a good start point for determining what you like.
The main reason for a different cue for breaking is tip hardness and shape -- a break cue has a harder tip with a flat shape. No damage should occur to the cue during breaking.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote olgoat:</font><hr> All
I am a novice player shooting a McDermott 19oz cue. I would like to upgrade the tip but am unclear about what hardness would be the best to consider. I am not using any english at this point. Just trying to get my cut shots down.

I am looking at adding a dedicated break cue so my shooting cue would not have to do double duty.

Any suggestions on brand and hardness would be much appreciated.

Talisman (soft or Med)?
Moori (soft or Med)?
Sumo ?
Others ?

Thanks
Tim <hr /></blockquote>

Billy_Bob
02-03-2005, 08:21 AM
I use a Moori Q (hard) tip, but suggest trying the following before deciding on which tip to use...

If you are a serious player, buy an old or inexpensive cue and experiment with different tips. Try soft, then medium, then hard. Also try dime, nickel, and quarter shapes for the tips. And try leather and Moori (pig skin).

Experimenting with different tips will be the best lesson you can get about pool cues. Afterall, the tip *is* the business end of the cue.

If you want to experiment more, get a couple of old cues and take them to a custom cue maker. Have him turn one down so it is 11mm at the tip, and the other so it is 12mm at the tip. Then compare an 11mm cue with a soft dime shaped tip to a 13mm cue with a hard quarter shaped tip.

You can cut electrical PVC in half by about 8 inches long and use with 220 grit sandpaper to shape your tips. Or buy a shaping tool. May want to experiment with both.
1" PVC (Quarter) 25 mm
3/4" PVC (Penny) 19.75 mm
1/2" PVC (&lt; Dime) 15.00 mm

U.S. Coin sizes...
Dime ......................... 18.00mm
Penny ........................ 19.10mm
Nickel ....................... 21.10mm
Quarter ...................... 24.10mm

olgoat
02-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Billy_bob. Great idea on the PVC. The cost of the tips doesn't seem like it is that big a deal. The cost to put any of them on seems to be the factor. I am not sure but I think the stock tip on the McDermott might be a Le Pro.

Thanks all for the comments.

Billy_Bob
02-03-2005, 10:32 AM
I don't think there is that much difference between "brand names" of tips [other than quality and consistancy], but there is between tips made of different materals.

I bought the stuff to replace my own tips - stuff to get and link below. This stuff is not very expensive. But practice on old cues for the first several tips you replace. You can't use the shaper on a Moori tip [blade will dig in], use the PVC and a 100 grit sandpaper to initially shape it. Other links of interest following too.

25-200 - Plastic Cue Clamp
CR20 - Porper's Cut-Rite Shaper/Cutter
PM60 - Porper's Mushroom Graser
29-700 - Rapid Cue Top Sander
TG10 - Tip Gauge
(I just use super glue - sand ferrule and tip a little both directions so you have hatch marks which look like... #### rather than only one direction which looks like |||||||. For a phenolic tip, I use superglue gel. I have never had a tip come off.

You can get a large container of the superglue stuff at a hobby store for a reasonable price.

http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Catalog.Category/categoryID/46.cfm?CFID=8084127&amp;CFTOKEN=28376841

Moori III tips...
http://www.cuestik.com

Tiger break/jump tips...
http://www.tigerproducts.com/laminatedcuetips.htm

Phenolic tips...
http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessories/cuetips

Leather tips...
http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Catalog.Category/categoryID/471.cfm?CFID=8084127&amp;CFTOKEN=28376841

Wally_in_Cincy
02-03-2005, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote olgoat:</font><hr>...I am not sure but I think the stock tip on the McDermott might be a Le Pro.
<hr /></blockquote>

McDermott's stock tips are Triangles for at least the last 2 or 3 years

christopheradams
02-03-2005, 08:07 PM
I like the le pro tip. Also a medium- hard tip is good because you get less mushrooming. A medium to hard tip has to be roughed up a little now and then with a scuffer though but it last longer than a softer tip. Just don't get to crazy with the scuffer on a med tip or you'll end of grinding it down to nothing. I like the tip pik tool because it doesn't take much off the tip. Also wet the sides of your tips with some spit and rub it with the side of the paper on your master chalk. It burnishes it to a fine shiny black color.

TRex
02-05-2005, 07:01 PM
In my opinion you've had several good suggestions;
1. the triangle tip w/ a nickle or dime curve
2. use a tip pic not a scuffer
3. break w/ a house stick.
This way you tip will last and perform well. The Triangle tip is medium to hard and holds up well and is usually about $8.50 installed. As your skill improves you'll be able to form your on opinion. Good Rolls

christopheradams
02-05-2005, 08:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TRex:</font><hr> In my opinion you've had several good suggestions;

3. break w/ a house stick. <hr /></blockquote>

Or get a seperate break stick. You can even get a cheap one at Walmart and it will do until you get a little more specific and plan to spend more on a break stick. You can then just break with your break stick and your playing cue and break stick will probably wear down about equally and you can replace them at the same time. You also don't have to scuff up a break stick as much because a hard tip is preffered. Even a Walmart cue with a good tip is better than some house cues you may run into.
You also might want to get a instroke case to hold a couple butts and a couple shafts. If you get an instroke, when you come to a point when you want to get a jump cue, you got a little compartment on the instroke case to hold the jump butt and extra room for its shaft. You could also just get a cheap case that holds a few butts and shafts but I love the instroke cases and they'll last you a lifetime!