PDA

View Full Version : Dominant eye

sack316
02-02-2005, 03:41 PM
the other night I was playing and this fella that is very knowlegable asked me about my stance. Then he asked me which eye was my dominant eye. I wasn't really sure se he did some kind of test and sure 'nough my left eye was dominant (I shoot right handed). He pointed out that I had naturally adapted my stance to where my head was in a good position for that, and then pointed out some players that actually cocked their head to the side making the same adaptation, but couldn't adjust their stance to keep their head straight for some reason. Guess it wasn't a real big thing, but it was interesting to see.Anyone else have anything like that in their routines?

aeterius
02-02-2005, 04:11 PM
I was hitting them really well for almost 3 months before I got into a real bad slump two weeks ago. I had no explanation for this, because I didn't feel like I changed anything. Mentally it was all going down since then.

Today I went through the fundamentals and just by putting my right feet about two inch further to the right I instantly got back into stroke. It feels much more settled now and everything's back to normal.

The effect is not just a more stable stance, but exactly the thing you mentioned. It put my left eye under the cue without the need to [censored] the head slightly. The difference is subtle, but the result speaks for itself.

From now on I will include a brief fundamentals check each week to watch out for small things that creep into the basics.

GeraldG
02-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Holy Smokes!! If you are putting your left eye UNDER the cue, it's no wonder you are in a slump. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That's gotta be uncomfortable. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

aeterius
02-03-2005, 03:07 AM
hehe... and I thought I got the basics down. Maybe I need to rethink my approach /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bluey2king
02-03-2005, 08:02 AM
I have had several surguries on my rt. eye I am for sure left eye Dom. I don't know what I was before. My left eye has a small catarac dead center, so I struggle with vision I too just naturally have adjusted my head so the left eye is sighting down the cue. The one thing I must watch is that I don't start comparing lt. eye to rt. eye that will throw me off for sure!! I just keep both open wide and don't thint about it.
Bluey

caedos
02-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Regardless of eye dominance, a shooter's head tends to be in the same place with the same left to right perspective. The tilt of the head (eyes level to the table or tilted left or right) can greatly effect straight-line perception, although head elevation off the cue seems to be easy to deal with since the shooting line is in-plane and visual aspect remains on-line if not in-line. As for the dominant eye... as long as you can put yourself on the straight line that you see, mission accomplished. Eyes can be trained, and eye dominance is primarily for momentary target aquisition within arms reach so we don't go cross-eyed. The secondary eye will track in a fraction of a second later anyway. Once the shooter can reproduce a straight-line roll that matches what they saw from the standing position, maintaining that success is just a matter of keeping the same type of head (and therefore optics/eye) placement. Eye dominance is the catch phrase that gets credibility because we've heard it so much over the years. Unless you only have one eye, binocular vision is the rule and not the exception.

I hope this helps.

Carl

bsmutz
02-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Uh, I'm not even sure if this guy is human. He has right feet AND can put his eye under the cue!