PDA

View Full Version : General vintage pool cue question

mksmith713
02-03-2005, 12:33 PM
I picked up an old pool cue and I have a question about something I found different about it.
It has a backing on the tip.
Not that backing are unusual, I've seen them before especially with Ivory ferrules.
The thing abouot thos backing is, the thing is HUGE...
It's bigger than the tip.
I would estimate it's measurement at 1/8" or maybe a little more.
The ferrule isn't ivory.

Anyone else seen this before in vintage cues.

BTW, I has a chance to play with the cue a bit and it hits beautifully.

cheese_ball
02-03-2005, 01:59 PM
The only place I have seen a backing like you have described was on Burton Spain's early work. Does this cue have a wrap? Points? Veneers? If so, you can check if it was made by Spain by removing the wrap. If the cue is a full splice, but has a butterfly splice of maple on the handle area, it is more than likely one of his. If you can send me some pics of the cue, I can help you determine the maker. Good luck!

mksmith713
02-03-2005, 02:17 PM
It resembles a Sneaky Pete cue.
Has 4 short rosewood points and a mulitcolored liner wrap of what looks like fine thread.
It has a really long 3/8-10 pin as well.

If you message me with your e mail address, I'll send you a pic.

Pizza Bob
02-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Brunswick (and this could be one) used ferrules with a black band at the top or bottom, depending on the cue. Is this perhaps what you are seeing? Striped wrap with points could be a Varsity model. How about some pics. If you can't post them for all, e-mail me some and I can at least confirm whether it's a B'wick or not.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

DickLeonard
02-04-2005, 10:52 AM
It could be the backing of a French Champion tip.####

wolfdancer
02-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I think that you are right. They made a great tip, but it wouldn't
stick to the pad......I got stuck with a box
of fifty, when I was repairing tips.

mksmith713
02-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Here's a link to some photos.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1206846

Rod
02-04-2005, 06:55 PM
It has a strong resemblance to a screw on tip. They have a thick fibre pad which the screw is attached.

Rod

mksmith713
02-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Nope, it's definately not a screw on tip.
I'm told by a few cuemakers that this is an Original French Champion tip.
They came with a HUGE fibre backing.
I find that even more intriguing because they haven't made thise in years.
The few that were still floating around were bought up by Bill Stroud at Joss West for use on his custom cues.

Rod
02-04-2005, 07:47 PM
I've never seen a champion tip with a black pad. I had several from 20+ years ago and even before that they had a red fibre back. If they say such a tip existed I'll believe them but I've never seen a champion like that.

Rod

mksmith713
02-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Did you mean the Triumph French Tips?
I know they have a red fibre pad backing.
I use Triumph tips on my playing cues.

Rod
02-04-2005, 09:10 PM
No, I meant Champion. I had a number of them that I got in the early 80's. I bought them by the box in the 90's, they even come in a little wood triangle three pack as well. BTW the earlier Champion tips were somewhat softer than the later tips. The late ones are hard. I also played with them in the 70's. I know what Triumph tips are, they also have a red fibre back as you said. I find it rather odd these tips existed and I've never seen one.

Rod

mksmith713
02-04-2005, 09:46 PM
You would know better than I.
I'm just gathering information.
I'd love to find out what's up with this tip so I can replicate it in a 2nd shaft.
It plays great and I'd love to have the shaft turned down to my liking so I can make this a regular in my bag.

Rod
02-04-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm afraid at this point you'll have to find another similar playing tip. Most of us have went through tip searching until we settled on a brand and hardness we liked.

If you take it to a good pro shop they should be able to make a good reccomendation. Just sanding a tip gives a fair idea of it's composition. If it's hard, med or soft there are several to choose from. If you want to know how certain tips feel/play/hold chalk etc, there are plenty of us here for ideas. I realize that takes time but honestly I don't know of another way.

Rod