PDA

View Full Version : Great Straight Pool Video-

daviddjmp
02-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I just purchased the Matthews/Varner 1996 Exhibition 14.1 tape from Accu-Stats. Nick Varner gives a classic straight pool performance with a two-inning game consisting of a 76 ball run followed by a 74. In the second run, he gets out of a nearly impossible rack and manufactures a break shot using a two ball combination at the end of the rack. Nick plays the traditional old-style 14.1 along the lines of Sigel and Rempe. I would highly recommend it for anyone interested in improving their game.

JohnnyP
02-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Wouldn't it be great if ESPN would run these?

christopheradams
02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyP:</font><hr> Wouldn't it be great if ESPN would run these? <hr /></blockquote>
No they can't. "Straight pools to slow, too boring for tv. Its gotta be fast 9 ball. Wah wah wah" /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I don't get this. How can it be too slow when its all taped anyway and can be edited. If a match takes 3 hours, they can cut it down to the best matches and air that. And as for boring, Its definately not boring to me and I think there are a lot of other straight pool fans that would agree.

daviddjmp
02-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Agreed-

This match takes under two hours, most of the matches with long runs are much shorter and definitely exciting (at least to me) to watch.

SecaucusFats
02-04-2005, 01:16 AM
I love straight pool, but the truth is, that most young people don't have the attention spans to appreciate straight, even in an edited format.