PDA

View Full Version : What does BCA have against Alan Hopkins ???

Chris in NC
02-03-2005, 02:54 PM
I see where Robin Dodson was just elected to the BCA Hall of Fame. This now makes Loree Jon, Ewa and Robin elected to the HOF in the past 4 years. No disrespect to any of these fine women or their records, but to put them in the BCA HOF at such a young age relatively speaking all on their first try and NOT allow Alan Hopkins in the Hall of Fame after a number of attempts says all I need to know about the credibility of the BCA.

I don't need to rattle off all of Alan's credentials as a world class player in a number of pool disciplines for the past 35 years, as just about anybody who is knowledgeable about pool knows what Alan has accomplished. Anyone who doesn't think there simply must be considerable politics that goes into the BCA's decision as to who makes it and who doesn't is ignorant. I was glad to see Mike Massey made it - well deserving. - Chris in NC

Barbara
02-03-2005, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr>
I don't need to rattle off all of Alan's credentials as a world class player in a number of pool disciplines for the past 35 years, as just about anybody who is knowledgeable about pool knows what Alan has accomplished. Anyone who doesn't think there simply must be considerable politics that goes into the BCA's decision as to who makes it and who doesn't is ignorant. I was glad to see Mike Massey made it - well deserving. - Chris in NC <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with you completely Chris. For all that Allen's done for the sport as a player and a promoter, he should be in that HOF by now.

Barbara

02-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Allen's ruffled a number of tail-feathers over the years, Chris (please note that I am NOT taking sides). His reputation as a money player has not especially helped, but they were willing to look away from that aspect of both Eddie Kelly and Shorty Johnson. They (the BCA) also probably don't appreciate that a number of vendors choose between the Hopkins' show and theirs, but won' t take booths at both. Given that the Valley Forge show is the success it is, I would think Allen's Hall of Fame chances would be better on the Meritorious Service side. But that's just one guy's opinion. GF

cuechick
02-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey Chris,
I just thing Allen has a longer line in front of him than the women. I assume the BCA tries to represent both sexes in their choices. There are just so many fewer women players out there, a much smaller pond to pull from.
Allen is still very young in relation to all the male players and I am sure his day will come. I am sure there may be other politics involved, I know nothing about.
But to answer your question, that is my theory.

Bob_Jewett
02-03-2005, 07:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> ... and NOT allow Alan Hopkins in the Hall of Fame after a number of attempts says all I need to know about the credibility of the BCA.
... <hr /></blockquote>
I was told by a very good source that Hopkins was proposed by the Nominating Committee and Hopkins declined to have his name on the ballot.

There are many valid reasons to criticize the BCA, but I think the handling of the HOF is not one of the top ones.

Harold Acosta
02-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Chris in NC:

In addition to Hopkins, I cannot believe that Sang Lee was not elected to the HOF but then, what the F are people without true credentials in the Billiard's industry, casting votes for the HOF?

I have always tried to be impartial about past HOF selections but this time they really screwed up. The credibility of the BCA has really gone down the drain.

AzHousePro
02-03-2005, 10:01 PM
I can vouch for what Bob heard. Allen requested his name be removed from the ballot.

Mike

HallofFame
02-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Okay,

Was at Jim Rempe's house today and we discussed the HOF, I brought up Earl's name and this is what he told me.

If you are on the ballot for three years and you do not get elected your name CANNOT be on the ballot for two years; if Earl gets back on the ballot two years from now and does not get elected in the NEXT three years he is FINISHED and can NEVER be place on the ballot again. In Jimmy's words, a hiccup can occur and a GREAT player like Earl could possible not get elected to the HOF. WOW, think about it.

Now, I do not know Allen personally but maybe he is pulling a move to get around this; IF that is possible.

HOF

dg-in-centralpa
02-05-2005, 12:54 PM
I agree about Allen. Other than the Behrmans, Allen has done more for billiards, as a player and promoter, than anybody. Look at his Expo, it grows every year. Valley Forge soon won't be big enough.

DG - life isn't fair, if it was, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead (long live Carson)

AzHousePro
02-05-2005, 02:09 PM
My understanding was that the rule of only being on the ballot for 3 years and then two years off the ballot had something to do with Allen's request to be removed.

Mike

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr>

Now, I do not know Allen personally but maybe he is pulling a move to get around this; IF that is possible.

HOF <hr /></blockquote>

HallofFame
02-05-2005, 02:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AzHousePro:</font><hr> My understanding was that the rule of only being on the ballot for 3 years and then two years off the ballot had something to do with Allen's request to be removed.

Mike

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr>

HOF <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure if I expressed myself correctly.

I think what I'm trying to say is that MAYBE if Allen takes his name off the list at his own request he can avert this "Catch 22" the BCA seems to have installed in it's system.

Maybe something like this:

If your name is on the ballot for two years and NOT the third year, you start all over without having to be off the ballot for two years.

Too political, that's what I say.

Jimmy mentioned the names of people I never even heard of that he said were GREAT players and should be in the hall of fame.

I'll post a trivia question just to see if anyone knows who this guy is/was.

Joe

Chris in NC
02-07-2005, 12:45 PM
If there are conflicts between the BCA and Hopkins concerning billiard vendors attending the Super Billiards Expo show versus the BCA trade Show, it should be mentioned that to my knowledge Alan's BCA show dates in March have remained the same for as long as I can remember.

It was the BCA who created this dilemma a few years ago by deciding to move their trade show date from the summer up to the beginning of April - thus creating the problem for many vendors having to choose between the two events to rent a booth at.

As a pool player and poolroom owner there is absolutely no question which event I choose to attend - The Super Billiards Expo for many reasons. - Chris in NC

DickLeonard
02-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Halloffame, what they need is a players review team made up of players not members of the BCA. There are many oldtimers that never had the chance to be considered because they never won a tournament. But WOW there was only one tournament a year and it was won by Mosconi,Greenleaf,Crane
Rudolph,Ponzi.

Joe Canton was never considered and he won the National Title and the U.S.Masters Title. He also ran 100 or better in every game he played at Julians Poolroom during a 6 week exhibition run during the early 50s. Julians fans were anxious for a Mosconi,Canton matchup but Mosconi would only play him on a 5x10 table. Not that Mosconi was a giant but Joes height put him at a distinct disadvantage.

Onifrio Lauri was about to win his first Worlds Title at age 73, he was leading the tournament 15-0 when the 1971 Earthquake hit California it shook him so that he lost his next three games and his chance. I don't think he was ever considered.

I call it the Hall of Shame.####

Vicki
02-08-2005, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AzHousePro:</font><hr> I can vouch for what Bob heard. Allen requested his name be removed from the ballot.

Mike <hr /></blockquote>

I heard this, too.