PDA

View Full Version : September 11, all the old emotions

Kato
05-29-2002, 10:20 AM
Last night after my Dale Carnegie class I was watching T.V. flipping between the Marlins-Reds and Kings-Lakers when I happened upon HBO (as a guy I am a professional channel surfer) where they were showing a documentary type show on the World Trade Center attacks. I went from being loaded with positive energy to sitting quietly on my couch with tears streaming down my face. I felt like old wounds were reopened. It brought a brand new perspective to what happened for me. The stills of the people who showed their strength and power brought me full circle from sadness back to immense pride just to be an American.

Kato~~~thank you people of New York for reigniting my pride

MikeM
05-29-2002, 10:35 AM
Kato,

I've watched that show twice now and have experienced similar emotions to yours. Just when the memory of that day seems to be fading something comes along and takes you right back to that day. I also was taken back to the days/weeks/months following 9/11 and all of the unadulterated patriotism, pride and unity that were displayed. I've never felt more pride at being an American than during that time (and I've always been pretty patriotic). That's started to fade some too and that's a shame. I'm guessing that this July 4th will be something special though. A chance for us all to be blatantly and unashemedly American.

MM

Doctor_D
05-29-2002, 10:44 AM
Good afternoon Kato:

Thank-you, for sharing your experience and emotions with us at this interim time of remembrance. It is heart warming to know that individuals like yourself, those who did not experience ground zero at 8:45AM on September the 11th as I did, have been touched and moved by those horific events.

From the bottom of my heart, still shaken from 9/11, a heart felt thank-you!

Dr. D.

Eric.
05-29-2002, 11:38 AM
Good Afternoon D,

I thought your office was in midtown? Regardless, glad you didn't wind up a statistic. I remember the dust cloud that literally blotted out the sun! It was dark as night for a few minutes as the cloud ran through the avenues. I couldn't see anything and I was 6-7 blocks away! I think anyone that experienced it will have a permanant mental scar. Truly sad! Well, like the saying goes: "Lest we forget."

Eric >?

Ralph S.
05-29-2002, 02:37 PM
I dont know how many here at CCB listen to country-western music, but there is a song by Alan Jackson entitled "Where Were You" about the 9-11 disaster. If you have not heard it, it is very much worth listening to. Also, if you happen to be a very emotional type person, you may want a handkerchief or kleenex.
Ralph S.

Doctor_D
05-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Good afternoon Eric:

Yes, my personal office is in Midtown directly above Madison Square Garden. However, at 8:45AM on Tuesday September the 11th, I was walking into WTC1 for a 9:30AM meeting. Needless to say, aside from witnessing more then I would ever care to, I was too damn close to the events of that morning for comfort!

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
05-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Hi Kato,

I too was horrified by the events and saddened for the people of NY. When I went to Vegas and met with Carol and Fran, we hit it off the minute we met. I don't know what came over me. I softly told told Carol I was sorry about what happened in NY. Her eyes watered quickly and hugged me and gave me a kiss on the check and told me she loved me. I'm so glad we quickly changed the subject. If she would have cried I would have too. I know it and I never cry. I don't know why I told her that but now I feel so glad the two of them, are here with us today, moreso than ever. They are now in my heart as close family and don't know what I'd do if anything happened to either one of them.

I guess I spoke from the heart as I usually do.

Best Regards,

C.C.

05-29-2002, 06:26 PM
A friend of mine who used to practically live in Manhattan flew in from Canada for the Amsterdam Billiard Club's charity event for the local firehouses. We stayed and played pool and made merry till about three AM, and then visited Ground Zero to remind us what we had REALLY been there for. We didn't stay long, we couldn't take much, but we embraced silently for a very long time a block or two away. I will never forget, I doubt any of us will.

Barbara
05-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Kato,

I can never look at those pictures again without becoming tearful.

I just can't imagine what it would be like to kiss your loved one goodbye in the morning going to work and to never see them again.

I pray for all of those who lost their loved ones to heal as well as possible.

Barbara

CarolNYC
05-30-2002, 04:23 AM
Hey Chris,
Definitely love you guys with all my heart!
Carol

MikeM
05-30-2002, 06:27 AM
I love AJ. That song is very well written and captures a lot of what we all feel about that day. On a lighter note, I really love Alan's new song Drive. Bring's back lots of fond memories.

MM

Karatemom
05-30-2002, 06:54 AM
I remember exactly where I was when it happened. Chris was on the computer, as usual, and Christ and I were just about ready to leave for school. We were watching Good Morning America and they had the pictures of the first building in flames. Just as we were about to leave, I saw the 2nd plane go into the next building. I was in shock. I knew right then and there what happened. Couldn't believe it. Still can't. There isn't a day that goes by that I am not grateful for what I have. I was blessed with a wonderful husband and son, and friends. I never was much of a patriotic person until this happened. I think it brought out the best in almost all of us. I still feel for the people that lost their loved ones that morning. Being from NY, I think that it hit me a little harder than it could have.

Karatemom

Kato
05-30-2002, 07:20 AM
KarateMom, I was in the hospital with 5 kidney stones. It was a very bad day that I could not ever forget. I was doubled over in the waiting room when the attacks occured. My emotional pain with the physical pain was almost too much to bare. When I woke up around noon (they sort of drugged me...........ALOT) the hospital chaplain was saying a prayer. I was crying and didn't know why, I had to call my Dad to ask him what was wrong. He is a very solem man by trait, much like myself, but when I saw a tear roll down my Dad's face something was wrong. The only 2 things I think that could make my father cry are either a family member dying or something happening to the country he fought for. To see him, my father in emotional pain was, not to belittle 9/11, something I wasn't prepared for either.

Sorry for that guys. Something I've never let out before.

Kato

Doctor_D
05-30-2002, 07:28 AM
Good morning Kato:

No need to apologize for that which you feel. Additionally, I would like to Thank-you for sharing your emotions with all of us. Needless to say, as I am in tears as I write this, every time I see the site and/or a news report and/or one of the photos of the missing, my emotional state collapses.

Dr. D.

Kato
05-30-2002, 07:50 AM
Good morning Doc

I have a much different view of people from your city these days than before. I'm not sure if any other people than New Yorkers could bounce back from that. Definitely a group of gutsy, classy, tough, hard nose, caring, decent people up in your city. You (people of NYC) have not only my respect but my admiration as well.

Kato

stickman
05-30-2002, 07:52 AM
The official end of ground zero cleanup is today. The cleanup did not take nearly as long as originally estimated. Unfortunately, the emotional scars will be with us considerably longer. The loss of life and property amounted to the biggest tragedy in American history. No other country should mistakenly believe the the American people are soft. The American spirit and determination has been dislayed for all the world to see.

Doctor_D
05-30-2002, 07:59 AM
Good morning:

The people of NYC responded, the morning of that disaster, with open arms and compassion. As I walked from ground zero to Penn Station in Midtown; because there were NO subways or buses running and cabs were no where to be found, I found stores giving shoes away to the women who needed them because they walked down the tower stairs barefoot. Shopkeepers opened their doors to use rest room facilities. Shopkeepers set up tables outside their stores offering water to anyone who wanted a drink. Shopkeepers set up televisions and radios outside their stores so people on the street could see and hear the news as it unfolded. I received E-Mails, through my wireless Palm Vx, from people I did not know personally, individuals who were members of organizations to which I belonged, opening their NYC apartments to me. I made new friends, shared my fears and my panic, with so many that day. For me, it is as if 9/11 was just this morning.

New Yorkers, in-spite of our overall reputation, respond admirably in a time of need.

Dr. D.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Now what did you go and do that for? Just kidding, I hadn't had a good cry in a while.

That was a long week. My girlfriend and I would come home from work every day, watch the news, and cry all evening. That was the most I prayed in a long time.

However those people did not die in vain. Since then people are a lot closer to their family, their friends, and especially God. I've always been very patriotic and now even moreso.

05-30-2002, 10:32 AM
Hi Kato, just thought I'd let you know my feelings on September 11. I too was brought down by a burning building while in the fire service. The doctors said I wouldn't survive (wrong). The night before the Sept. 11 tradgedy, a profound distinct undeneiable voice told me "you are in danger". From that moment I knew serious danger was forthcoming. I unlocked my gun cabinet, in that I knew not what the danger was. I stayed awake until daylight and then dozed. When I opened my eyes I saw on the tv the attack. The relativity to me was that I am still an active brother of the fallen firemen in New York. I beieve the message was sent to renew my faith. The people there that went down really went up. I've been in situations of which I couldn't have escaped and still don't know how I did. Very strange but true. Maybe the Pool Gods were with me. Thanks for caring.

ted harris
05-30-2002, 10:55 PM
I Love New York!