View Full Version : Two killed in fight outside pool hall

PQQLK9
02-04-2005, 06:19 PM
This is scarry ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/state/minnesota/10814349.htm

Posted on Fri, Feb. 04, 2005

Two killed in fight outside pool hall

Associated Press

COLUMBIA HEIGHTS, Minn. - Two men were shot dead as they fled members of a Hmong gang after a confrontation at a pool hall Thursday night, authorities said. Four other young men were wounded.

Capt. Bob Aldrich of the Anoka County Sheriff's Office said six people had been arrested by Friday afternoon. The Minnesota Gang Strike Force was familiar with them, he said.

All six were charged with second-degree murder.

The trouble apparently started Thursday evening when gang members mistook a group of unarmed Tibetan Chinese, and one Cambodian, for another Asian gang, Aldrich said.

The Tibetan group entered Jimmy's Pro Billiards about 9:30 p.m. Thursday and were confronted by Hmong gang members who spoke English, but used "gang speak" the Tibetans didn't understand, Aldrich said.

He said the Tibetan group wasn't looking for trouble, but someone made a call and soon another carload of Tibetans arrived at the pool hall. There was a confrontation and soon both groups grabbed pool cues and balls, Aldrich said.

The Tibetans eventually fled through the back door into an alley with the Hmong in pursuit, firing dozens of shots. A 9 mm pistol was recovered, Aldrich said.

Two young men in their 20s were found dead, one a Tibetan and one Cambodian. Authorities found one victim in a nearby parking ramp while the other was near the alley. Four other Tibetan men were wounded and found two blocks from the pool hall.

Police did not immediately release the names of the dead and wounded or those who were arrested.

Initial reports said the Tibetans were part of a gang, but authorities later said that wasn't true. Ron Ryan, commander of the Minnesota Gang Strike Force, said there were no Tibetan gangs in the state.

Allen Olson, who was playing pool at the time, told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis he saw two groups of people begin bickering. Pool hall employees told them to take it outside.

"We heard a sound like whoosh," he said. "We thought it was glass breaking. But it was gunshots."

When he ran out to investigate, "these three guys were standing with guns pulled," he said. He saw one man fall. Two others got in a car and drove off, he said.

Annie Vang and Tida Lee told the newspaper they were playing pool when 15 to 20 people started throwing balls and cue sticks at each other. The women retreated to the relative safety of the back of the pool hall.

Nick Wiczawski, 19, told the newspaper he heard at least eight gunshots.
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

Bob_Jewett
02-04-2005, 06:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> ... group entered Jimmy's Pro Billiards ...
<hr /></blockquote>
That's Jimmy Wetch's place. I was in there during the Minn. BCA Trade Show, and it seemed pretty quiet at the time.

JimS
02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Wow!! That's a shame. I hate to see him or his business get hurt. My heart goes out to Jimmy.

Paul_Mon
02-05-2005, 03:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Wow!! That's a shame. I hate to see him or his business get hurt. My heart goes out to Jimmy. <hr /></blockquote>

You're kidding right? What about the families of the men killed.

Paul Mon

sensual7
02-06-2005, 06:01 AM
If the tibetans &amp; cambodian were really not gang members,

i feel sincerely sorry for them &amp; their families !

on the other hand, if they were gang members then it's no

great loss to society !!

sensual7

TomBrooklyn
03-18-2005, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> AP COLUMBIA HEIGHTS, Minn. - He said the Tibetan group wasn't looking for trouble, but someone made a call and soon another carload of Tibetans arrived at the pool hall. There was a confrontation and soon both groups grabbed pool cues and balls, Aldrich said. <hr /></blockquote>Called a carload of their friends to back them up? That doesn't sound to me like a group not looking for trouble. They certainly weren't trying to avoid trouble, at the least. It sounds more like a lot of testosterone was getting thrown around. As often happens in these kinds of situations, it may have started off as posturing. The way this game often goes though is that things can escalate until they spiral out of control and go way beyond the point the participants may have started out hoping for.