PDA

View Full Version : Trivia: Who is Thomas Houston?

HallofFame
02-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi,

I know there will be collectors who will probably have this info, Jim Rempe just happened to have info on this guy. It was interesting to us, probably won't be to anyone else.

Joe

DickLeonard
02-06-2005, 07:51 AM
My brain is saying a baseball player,turned pool player who lost both his arms and still kept playing. I have a tape of
a man playing holding the cue with two half arms and making
billiard shots.

He might be in the Billiard Enclyepedia.####

HallofFame
02-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Not even close Dick.

He's up there with Hoppe, Greenleaf, D'oro, etc.

Nice try though.

PQQLK9
02-06-2005, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr>

It was interesting to us, probably won't be to anyone else.

Joe <hr /></blockquote>

Why do you say that? I know who he is.

SPetty
02-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Any chance you're going to fill us in?

HallofFame
02-08-2005, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Any chance you're going to fill us in? <hr /></blockquote>

Spetty,

It seems you should have "replied with quote" to PQQLK9's reply, I was considering that move but since PQQLK9 seems to know I thought he would do that, saying you know and NOT giving up the tapes seems a bit slippery to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If he doesn't post the results within the next two days I will certainly let you know by IM.

Houston is certainly obscure, but somehow he got recognition along with the great players I mentioned above.

HOF

Wally_in_Cincy
02-14-2005, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Any chance you're going to fill us in? <hr /></blockquote>

Spetty,

It seems you should have "replied with quote" to PQQLK9's reply, I was considering that move but since PQQLK9 seems to know I thought he would do that, saying you know and NOT giving up the tapes seems a bit slippery to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If he doesn't post the results within the next two days I will certainly let you know by IM.

Houston is certainly obscure, but somehow he got recognition along with the great players I mentioned above.

HOF
<hr /></blockquote>

I don't know if you are a friend of Rempe's or if you are actually Rempe posting under a nom-de-plume but this whole act of "I know something you don't know" is dreadfully silly don't you think?

For the record, as I have said in the past, Rempe is one of my favorite players.

BTW I will be in Scranton in June, maybe we can play a rack or two...cheap.

SPetty
02-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I still don't know who Thomas Houston is... or why this thread exists.

DickLeonard
02-14-2005, 11:51 AM
HallofFame I saw Jimmy in Georges Poolroom in Suitland Maryland in the 60s, I was playing Weenie Beanie and Beanie ran out of money, he had to send out for money and Jimmy was sitting on a bench far from the table by the time Beanie got his money, I had fallen a sleep.

He won his money back and I headed home, those 30 hour road trips were always fun.####

SecaucusFats
02-14-2005, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr> Hi,

I know there will be collectors who will probably have this info, Jim Rempe just happened to have info on this guy. It was interesting to us, probably won't be to anyone else.

Joe <hr /></blockquote>

I believe you meant Thomas HUESTON. Hueston was one of only 5 players who have won World and / or National Championships in both pocket and carom billiards (1905-1909 and once more in 1927). The other four players who achieved crossover championships include Alfredo De Oro, Joseph Dion, John Horgan, and Johnny Layton.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

dandydan
02-14-2005, 12:45 PM

dandydan
02-14-2005, 01:07 PM

Wally_in_Cincy
02-14-2005, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dandydan:</font><hr> ...Wally, you dont call king james silly dude...<hr /></blockquote>

Don't tell me what to do and I won't call King James silly. Deal? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SecaucusFats
02-14-2005, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dandydan:</font><hr>
You ever hear of Harold Worst dude?
Johnston City Ill, was the worlds championship, there were no other tournaments of merit going on from 57 to 66 during his prime. There was no BCA as they had gone out of business. This was one of the most under rated players of all time because his career was cut short. <hr /></blockquote>

Dude, of course I've heard of Harold Worst. He's in the BCA Hall of Fame. And yes, Worst did win the All-Around Title in 1965 at both Johnston City and at the Stardust Open.

Unfortunately, Johnston City and the Stardust Open were never officially sanctioned by any cue sports organization.

Did circumstances at the time conspire to deny him entry into the offically recognized list of "crossover champions"? Yes absolutely they did! I'm not saying that this was fair but it is what it is.

Worst won his first 3C title in Argentina (1954). He was also a hell of a pocket billiards player.

dandydan
02-14-2005, 01:59 PM

NH_Steve
02-14-2005, 04:36 PM
There was an organization called "Billiard Players Association of America" that got billing on at least one of the later programs for Johnston City. I don't know how long that group lasted. I believe Weenie Beenie was president for a while, and maybe Fats for a while.

I'm guessing that the BCA must have recognized the Johnston City and Stardust All-around championships that Eddie Taylor won as the basis for his eligibility for the BCA HOF, because I don't think he won anything more major than those. He certainly avoided straight pool like the plague /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HallofFame
02-15-2005, 05:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I still don't know who Thomas Houston is... or why this thread exists. <hr /></blockquote>

Okay,

The post exists because I replied to a previous thread and while posting on a "somewhat" related matter I mentioned I would start a post to see if anyone knew who this obscure billiard player was RATHER than include it in THAT post.

It really was only intended for players in Northeast PA and MAYBE some others who might be interested in a bit of TRIVIA; the post starts with the header: TRIVIA. DOESN'T IT?

NOW do you know why the post exists?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr>I don't know if you are a friend of Rempe's or if you are actually Rempe posting under a nom-de-plume but this whole act of "I know something you don't know" is dreadfully silly don't you think?<hr /></blockquote>

Why be so attacking Wally, didn't you read the heading TRIVIA either? Don't you know what a trivia question is?

Jim just happen to show me his collection of Mecca cigarette cards with this old time player from Scranton because he thought it would be interesting to me, and I in turn THOUGHT it would be interesting to others; but I FORGOT what I was dealing with here on the internet.

I'm sorry for the confusion and not making it PERFECTLY clear it was a TRIVIA question to those six year olds who couldn't figure that out for themselves.

You can rest assured that I will never do it again.

Sorry everybody, sorry I tried to expand you knowledge of billiards.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DandyDan:</font><hr>He apparently died around WWII. Hueston ended his career with 12 world pool titles and two 3-cushion titles and the BCA can not find a way to put him in the HOF. This is a travesty of justice and they are now inducting pool hustlers with no world titles behind them.<hr /></blockquote>

Dan,

This is how the whole incident began. Jimmy was discussing this matter when he brought out the Mecca cards to prove this very point; I found it interesting and THOURGHT others would also.

I firmly believe there should be "internet police" who travel from house to house removing keyboards from those people who "type" BEFORE they "think". /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HOF

SPetty
02-15-2005, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr> Sorry everybody, sorry I tried to expand you knowledge of billiards.

I found it interesting and THOUGHT others would also.<hr /></blockquote>Hey, sorry, didn't mean to rile you or hurt your feelings. It's just that it's an unusual thing to post a trivia question and never come back with the answer.

We can't learn if you just post a question without the answer. I was pleased to see that someone finally figured out that you spelled it wrong and was able to come up with the answer of who this legend is, because you never came back to finish the post by filling in the answer!

Thanks for the lesson and the expansion of knowledge.

DickLeonard
02-15-2005, 12:56 PM
NH Steve The Billiard Proprietors of America based in NYC. Bob McGirr was President and Stu Markeson was the something or other.. They ran the Worlds Titles till around 69 at the Commodore Hotel, then The Golden Cue in Queens started running the Titles at the Roosevelt Hotel.

I do remember that organization popping with Beenie running it for a while, I think it was short lived tho.####

DickLeonard
02-16-2005, 07:17 AM
FATS I was to play Weenie Beanie in Hudson,NY in 1968 and by the time I had arrived at the room, a Pool Detective had told Beanie that I had beaten Cisero Murphy right on that table your going to play on. Now Beanie isn't going to play me. I am talking to Beanie, then he excuses himself to make a phone call, he had a piece of some nineball players action against Harold Worst in Grand Rapids,Mich. His call goes like this your kidding no way,how much did you lose. He destroyed him, no backers, he took all the action himself. Then he hung up and said Harold beat him for fun.

I think his early death dimished his chance of being known as possibly the Greatest of the Billiard World.####