PDA

View Full Version : Cold Heat Soldering Tool

nAz
02-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Has anyone tryied this yet? i have seen it advertise on TV for about a year now but i wonder if it works as well as they say.

The Cold Heat Soldering Tool is a cordless tool that heats quickly and cools down nearly as fast. It creates the heat right in the proprietary tip material, making the tool 20 times more efficient than the average conventional soldering iron. The tip reaches 500F in less than 1 second for many types of joints and cools to the touch in 1-5 seconds so you can put it away – without any waiting.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/69d3/

Chopstick
02-07-2005, 08:28 AM
I am skeptical of this unit. It would be difficult to use as it depends on positioning the two electrodes in the tip precisely to get it to work. Supposedly the tool heats the solder by passing a current through it. Since it doesn't heat the piece to be soldered equally I think it would have a tendency to produce "cold solder" joints. The term "cold solder" in this context does not refer to the technology employed by the unit. It refers to a flawed joint. A "cold solder" joint will not conduct electricity correctly.

A good solder joint will be shiny and silver when it cools. A "cold solder" joint will be dull and grey. Also I find that most people use far more solder than they have to. They leave an outward bulging blob of solder on the joint. This is not as strong a bond than if the outside of the solder curves inward toward the joint.

Fasteddy7
02-07-2005, 09:44 AM
I thought about ordering it just for the wire stripper tool it comes with. As I am very skeptical of these types of products, I have not purchased anything from infomercials

Popcorn
02-07-2005, 09:51 AM
It can't be any good just due to the way it works. You want the tool hot all the time so you can flow out the solder. I most often apply the solder to the tip of the soldering gun and apply it to the joint on small jobs such as wire and flow it out. This tool even if it does everything they say is not really very good.

SpiderMan
02-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I have one, but have not tried it yet. It was a birthday gift from a friend who meant well /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looking at the thing, I'm led to believe that it will be touchy to work with, as it will depend on good and continuous contact of both sides of the tip. In other words, I expect it to require a "technique" that must be developed with a little practice. Also, I'd expect that there will be a range of joint sizes that will work, and expect problems on work that is too small or too large.

As you can see, I've not been motivated to try the thing out, and I've had it since the end of July!

SpiderMan

pooldaddy9
02-07-2005, 11:14 AM
It is CRAP /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif I should have known better. If it worked as good as they show on TV, you couldn't get it that cheap.
I have one for sale if anyone wants to try it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooldaddy9
02-07-2005, 11:16 AM
you can get one of those wire strippers from the Dollar store if you want to try one.

wolfdancer
02-07-2005, 02:28 PM
nAz, didn't try cold solder, but let me guess $19.95, and if you act now.....
I think all the pool gimmick/devices/training aids, inventors are missing out here....they got to get the price down to
$19.95...say for a strokemaster, and act now, and get a free Breakrack....they'll sell a million of 'em.
I don't think cold fusion worked either