PDA

View Full Version : Bad Result When Feeling Great(League)

Sid_Vicious
02-05-2005, 03:14 PM
I went into Wednesday last week on top of the world, slept super the night before, was excited to get there to play. I could tell I was not warming up well, but at the end of the events I'd shot a new low for this season. It seems like I play better somewhere in the middle,,,is there any sanity to this? Opinions...sid

Karatemom
02-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Hiya sid. I know this feeling. When I'm feeling good and anxious to shoot, I feel like I could beat Earl, lol. I don't know what it is, but my guess is that my mind must be somewhere in overdrive. I agree with the "somewhere in the middle" line you said. You can't play when you're feeling lousy, and you can't play when you're higher than a kite. You find that happy medium and that's where you play your best. I think you said it best "somewhere in the middle".

JMO,

Heide

Sid_Vicious
02-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks, I was worried it was all me...sid

mksmith713
02-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Not all that strange as far as I can see.
I play better when I'm tired.
It makes me take my time and think a little more about what I'm doing.
I'm less likely to RUN up to the table and rush things.

stickman
02-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Sid, I should be good to go. Feeling great? I think as you get older you begin to feel great mentally, but on the other hand you begin to feel bad physically. I must be in the middle. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
02-06-2005, 04:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I went into Wednesday last week on top of the world, slept super the night before, was excited to get there to play. I could tell I was not warming up well, but at the end of the events I'd shot a new low for this season. It seems like I play better somewhere in the middle,,,is there any sanity to this? Opinions...sid <hr /></blockquote>

"i could tell i wasn't warming up well" say's it all. you started off with doughts and indecisions. The game is all about confidence and additude. Try changeing your warm up to be less taxing and prone to judgement. Nothing but easy shots, hit a few easy ones hard (gets the juices flowing), and see to your routine, timeing, and rythm. If the A game just isn't there that day (it happens) you have to decide early that OK if i can't win them pretty, i'll win them ugly. Be patient, play smart. St

stickman
02-06-2005, 08:52 AM
That's very good advice Stretch. I'd heard that before, but forgotten it. (warmup shooting easy shots) I seldom startup strong out of the gates. Knowing this, I still have confidence that I can finish strong in spite of not warming up very well. Maybe it's the age factor, athritus, or something else, but I don't cold start well.

Sid_Vicious
02-06-2005, 10:56 AM
here's an added emotion St, after shooting the low, I was told "Don't let it bother you. You've been shootin' good so far." Know what?, I didn't feel "low emotions", I was still feeling good. I don't believe it was a matter of pre thoughts and early practice nor my winning attitude. Hell I've gone in absolutely a little depressed to have to play at times, warm up terribly and pray for a 6th guy to show and play for me, and I have then gone in and shot lights out during competition. These emotional highs and lows are contradictory is all I am saying. This last time was different yet yielded the low performance, I just didn't have convictions afterward, go figure. You have to know one added fact, my team can carry me, and they did. "Doubts and indecision was not anything that I was feeling, I just was in one of those "I'm feelin' great and this isn't a life and death situation" emotion. Btw, I had some B&amp;Rs on me as well, these guys could play. I also shot well broke and ran too myself, just that the key winning balls maybe excaped me at times, leaving an open run with no traffic for the guy. But MAN! I was feeling great after the sleep and all, just didn't make the grade I've been making previously for these guys...sid

monkeydude20
02-06-2005, 01:07 PM
I know exactly what youre talking about Sid. I found that I play best when I dont change the expression on my face or anything. My opponent doesnt know wheter I'm upset or jumping with joy although I may be inside he/she cant tell. If I'm talking to my opponent or show my emotion when I'm excited I dont do nearly as well when Im calm. Same thing that you were talking about. When you feel super anxious or excited like you could beat anyone, then thats great thats teh attitude you gotta have to be a champion but dont let it go to your head and throw off your game. When you step up to the table let it all go. FOCUS. And you'll do just as good as you possibly can and then some. Good luck Sid.
Jk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GeraldG
02-07-2005, 02:06 AM
One of the problems with league playing is that if your head isn't in it, it's awful hard to get it there because there's so much chit-chat going on. What I try to do (as much as I can) is, when it's my turn to play, I don't talk. I don't even make comments about my own shots on the way back to the chair...nothing. If I make a bad shot, I just try to make a mental note of what I may have done wrong, a mental note of what I may have done right, and then forget it. What I have found is that you can't concentrate on playing pool and carry on any kind of conversation at the same time. Anything you say and anything you LISTEN to is going to get you out of your train of thought and break whatever rhythm you may have been developing. I just pull a chair off to myself somewhere and that's where I go..the chair and the table. In between racks I take care of anything else that might need to be done or said. I don't worry about the score or how many points I need or how many the opponent needs. I just play until someone tells me to stop. Pool is a game of concentration and I don't have enough brain cells to concentrate on more than one thing at a time.

SpiderMan
02-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Sid,

Having some insight that others don't, I believe that this may be partially due to your recent modification of habits. You have stopped drinking alcohol at the poolroom (a very good move, IMO).

Previously, you may have relied on "rationing" the self-medication, easing yourself into whatever emotional/attitude middle ground felt best at the time. It will probably take a while before you get accustomed to playing outside that consistent emotional state, but it will be worth it because of your sharper overall game.

SpiderMan

sidepocketsam
02-07-2005, 10:23 AM
I've had this happen many times over the years and now try to avoid it. Anytime I would go into a league match feeling on top of the world, expectations seem to be too high. Then things would go a little wrong and I'd be lost. It's actually spun right into a long slump.

I shoot on Tuesday nights near where I work which is a ways from where I live. I actually dread Tuesdays because it makes for a long day. I go to the pool hall with absolutely no expectations, indifferent to whether it's pool night or not. Just kind of a nothing feeling. Then as the the matches get started, I seem to roll into the competitive feeling and my concentration is there.

Maybe it's just me, or one of many ways to approach matches but I find that when my confidence is sky high before the match, it leads to disaster when the match gets underway due to little failures of expectations.

stickman
02-07-2005, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Sid,

Having some insight that others don't, I believe that this may be partially due to your recent modification of habits. You have stopped drinking alcohol at the poolroom <font color="red"> (a very good move, IMO). </font color>
<font color="blue">I would certainly echo that opinion. </font color>
Previously, you may have relied on "rationing" the self-medication, easing yourself into whatever emotional/attitude middle ground felt best at the time. It will probably take a while before you get accustomed to playing outside that consistent emotional state, but it will be worth it because of your sharper overall game. <font color="blue">I use to try to ration myself, to stay in a relaxed state. I felt I needed a couple drinks to take the edge off. If you played the last match you could become too relaxed, and not as sharp as you might otherwise be. In a long tournament, it would contribute to my fatigue towards the later matches. I've since learned to control the nerves without the aid of alcohol. I'm not anti-drinking, but find that I do better now than I did when drinking. Getting over the nerves was a simple matter of conditioning. I have some players that complain that I don't drink while playing. They feel that I have an advantage, by not drinking. What can I say? I don't make them drink, it's their choice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good Luck,with your modification of habits, Sid. </font color>

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Jim~~~Drinks iced tea </font color>