PDA

View Full Version : Dispute while playing TD

UTAddb
02-05-2005, 04:20 PM
I think this might have been talked about before, but anyway, I was playing in a local tourney and drew the TD first round. I was up 4-0 and had him on a foul. I hooked him a second time and he fouled again. I played a 3rd safe and told him he was on 2. He missed his 3rd time and I told him it was over. He said I have to warn him before I even shoot my third shot. I said show me the book. 'I dont need a book I've been running tourneys for 20 years..blah blah blah. He eventually gave it to me leaving with the words 'remember I run this tournament.' So yeah, he was a big ole ass. Anyway, to the actual question, I am right that I just have to warn him after his second miss and before he shoots his next shot, right?

ryushen21
02-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Come on Dustin, you should remember this from the UTA tourney days. Always warn him before his third shot!!! That way there is no dispute whatsoever. But if the guy was gonna be an ass like that, screw 'em. You were probably way better than he was anyways.

UTAddb
02-05-2005, 05:08 PM
I did warn him before his 3rd shot, but according to him I have to warn him before my 3rd shot. p.s.-see you next weekend matt

SPetty
02-05-2005, 05:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Texas Express rule:</font><hr>7.1: Three Consecutive Fouls

Three fouls in a row by the same player in a single game results in a win for his or her opponent. The opponent must warn the player when he or she has fouled twice, and the player must acknowledge the warning. If the opponent has not warned the player and received acknowledgement for the two fouls, and the player fouls a third time, then the player will begin his or her next inning in the same game with two fouls. <hr /></blockquote>There's no clear mention that you must notify your opponent before you shoot, but it might vaguely mean that with the words "when he or she has fouled twice".<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BCA rule:</font><hr>5.13 THREE CONSECUTIVE FOULS
If a player fouls three consecutive times on three successive shots without making an intervening legal shot, the game is lost. The three fouls must occur in one game. The warning must be given between the second and third fouls. A player’s inning begins when it is legal to take a shot and ends at the end of a shot on which he misses, fouls or wins, or when he fouls between shots.<hr /></blockquote>Still no indication of what the TD was saying...

GeraldG
02-05-2005, 05:56 PM
When I play a tourney where the 3-foul rule is in effect, I always tell them when they foul the second time "That's two fouls". If I'm successful in hooking them again, I tell them before they shoot "If you foul on this one, that's three." That should eliminate any problems. This TD knew you were right, because the rules only require you to warn him once after the second foul before he shoots the third time. If you had been wrong, he would have never conceded. He was just ticked that you clocked him.

Paul_Mon
02-06-2005, 04:00 AM
The guys an A$$. When your turn at the table ends and he approaches the table you tell him "You're on two". Thats all that needed. I've seen a TD manipulate the brackets so that he always got a 2nd round bye.

Paul Mon

bomber
02-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Number 1: i believe you were right on this call
Number 2: The TD should play in the tourney anyways unless he is there to complete the field.

just my opinion

Isshi
02-07-2005, 09:05 AM
There was a mention here years ago of a scam pulled by some:

After fouling twice, the player who had fouled would say 'I've got
two fouls.' The other player, thinking that the fouling payer is
aware of being on two fouls (after all he DID admit it), doesn't
bother specifically saying 'You're on two fouls.'

Then after committing a third foul at his next inning, the fouling
player pleads the rules prove that he did not foul out: the opposing
player did not tell him that he was on two fouls (it was the fouling
player who had said it).

Absurd as this scenario may seem, I can see it happening, and it's
worth preventing:

After a player commits a second foul, TELL him 'You're on two fouls.'

Before he shoots at his next inning, AGAIN tell him 'You're on two
fouls.'

There's no shame in winning by locking your opponent up in
several good safeties. Let them know you take the game
seriously.

Regards, Isshi.
~~lost some 'friends' by playing safeties.

SpiderMan
02-07-2005, 09:58 AM
You have to warn him after his second foul, and before he takes his third shot. He must acknowledge the warning.

As far as I know, as long as the warning occurs between his second foul and his third shot, it can be anytime. Doesn't even matter if it is before or after your own shot.

SpiderMan

Stretch
02-07-2005, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Isshi:</font><hr> There was a mention here years ago of a scam pulled by some:

After fouling twice, the player who had fouled would say 'I've got
two fouls.' The other player, thinking that the fouling payer is
aware of being on two fouls (after all he DID admit it), doesn't
bother specifically saying 'You're on two fouls.'

Then after committing a third foul at his next inning, the fouling
player pleads the rules prove that he did not foul out: the opposing
player did not tell him that he was on two fouls (it was the fouling
player who had said it).

Absurd as this scenario may seem, I can see it happening, and it's
worth preventing:

After a player commits a second foul, TELL him 'You're on two fouls.'

Before he shoots at his next inning, AGAIN tell him 'You're on two
fouls.'

There's no shame in winning by locking your opponent up in
several good safeties. Let them know you take the game
seriously.

Regards, Isshi.
~~lost some 'friends' by playing safeties. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Isshi, well that's better than looseing some "teeth" playing safeties. Guess that explains Effren haha. Kidding!

You KNOW i'm going to lock up #2 with ball in hand if it's there. Especially on the early balls. Something to think about though.... It's not good enough to lock the cue ball up on #2. Try and send the target ball to an area where there are other balls. It makes playing the 3rd and final safe that much easier. It's also much better to leave the ob off the rails on 3 if possible. The rails just make an ob HUGE when all you need is a hit. Leaving it off the rails and it's pretty small. St

Chris in NC
02-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Before even reading the other responses on this, I can tell you that as a poolroom owner and TD of all our weekly tournaments here, for obvious reasons it is completely unethical for a TD to be allowed to play in a tournament he/she is running. - Chris in NC

poolturtle
02-08-2005, 09:39 AM
My suggestion is that if you ever have to play the TD in a match, get a third party to referee. That way there's no problems. I sometimes play in a tournament that's pretty small, and the TD plays as well. We've never had a problem, but there's always 2 or 3 other people watching that could help decide.