PDA

View Full Version : useful diagrams for instruction

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 03:46 PM
For the instructors out there, I just added a link to my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/pool) that points to a PDF file (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/instructional_diagrams.pdf) containing two blank diagrams of pool tables with overlay grid lines. You can print these and use them to draw shots by hand to help you get ideas across to your students. You can also use them to draw up drills for your students to practice. I hope you find the diagrams useful. You can print copies from the website whenever you need them.

PS: I've included a shameless plug for my site on the page (i.e., my URL is printed in small print). I hope you don't find this offensive.

Popcorn
02-07-2005, 04:21 PM
"PS: I've included a shameless plug for my site on the page (i.e., my URL is printed in small print). I hope you don't find this offensive. "

There are probably a few dozen of us on here who are in billiard related business, cue makers, case makers, room owners, billiard supply owners, instructors and all have web sites. You are the only one who does this, how do you explain that?

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 04:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Quote
"PS: I've included a shameless plug for my site on the page (i.e., my URL is printed in small print). I hope you don't find this offensive. "

There are probably a few dozen of us on here who are in billiard related business, cue makers, case makers, room owners, billiard supply owners, instructors and all have web sites. You are the only one who does this, how do you explain that? You just don't get it, don't care or are just that arrogant. Just my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>
Popcorn, I respect your opinion, but I don't see any harm in including the URL for my website on something I am offering to others for their own benefit. Nobody is forcing you to use the diagrams. I'm sorry you think the URL is inappropriate. I would think that if somebody finds the diagrams useful, they would be OK with having the source be acknowledged. Some people may even want to have the URL listed so they or others will know where to go to print more copies.
... just my humble opinion.

woody_968
02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks Dave, I will print this out and use it.

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 04:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Thanks Dave, I will print this out and use it. <hr /></blockquote>
You are very welcome.

By the way, do you think the URL is inappropriate as Popcorn has suggested?

Thanks.

Popcorn
02-07-2005, 04:45 PM
How about you just don't care?

bsmutz
02-07-2005, 04:49 PM
He obviously does care or he wouldn't have responded as he did. Thanks, Dave. I think it's okay to have your URL on there.

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 04:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Your so special, give me a break. <hr /></blockquote>
Well Popcorn, you obviously have major issues with me and my presence on the CCB (based on this message and others in the past). I hope we can meet one day to get to know each other as people and better understand where each of us is coming from. Feel free to give me a call one day if you want to talk.

Regards, Dave

woody_968
02-07-2005, 04:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
There are probably a few dozen of us on here who are in billiard related business, cue makers, case makers, room owners, billiard supply owners, instructors and all have web sites. You are the only one who does this, how do you explain that? <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn, he is putting out a printable diagram to use and put his URL on the bottom of the page, what is the problem with that?

I assume you are talking about the link in the bottom of his posts, but just wanted to know for sure what you had the problems with. If it is the link that you are talking about I personaly dont have a problem with his (or any of the other posters) that have links to their sites as their signature. In fact I have found some good information by clicking on some of the different posters links. Why does it bother you so much?

Woody

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> He obviously does care or he wouldn't have responded as he did. Thanks, Dave. I think it's okay to have your URL on there. <hr /></blockquote>
Thanks for the feedback. For a minute there, I was worried that others might also be offended like Popcorn.

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
There are probably a few dozen of us on here who are in billiard related business, cue makers, case makers, room owners, billiard supply owners, instructors and all have web sites. You are the only one who does this, how do you explain that? <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn, he is putting out a printable diagram to use and put his URL on the bottom of the page, what is the problem with that?

I assume you are talking about the link in the bottom of his posts, but just wanted to know for sure what you had the problems with. If it is the link that you are talking about I personaly dont have a problem with his (or any of the other posters) that have links to their sites as their signature. In fact I have found some good information by clicking on some of the different posters links. Why does it bother you so much?

Woody <hr /></blockquote>
I think Popcorn is referring to the web address included on the diagram sheet.

Popcorn
02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
It's not permitted because every billiard related business around would post bogus posts just to advertise their sites. His site sells retail items and he whore's himself on here every chance he gets. He is also the only one on here that does it, most respect the rules. His give away is just another ploy to promote his site and sell books and DVD's.

Popcorn
02-07-2005, 05:04 PM
I was refering to the link in the text (website) to items for sale on your site.

woody_968
02-07-2005, 05:04 PM
So the problem you have is the link on his post, not the addy on his print out.

Just want to make sure Dave understands what you are talking about because I think he asked one question but you have answered another /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Popcorn
02-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Yes, not the PDF link.

Popcorn
02-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Does that mean you plan on respecting the rules as the rest of us do? Just say yes or no and we will leave it at that.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Popcorn,
Here is a blank (drawn to scale, with grid lines) 9 foot table that when you print it out, it is left justified so you can make comments on the right margin.

No URL or ads... you do what you want with the diagram.

I've made this offer about 5 times in the last 4 years.

Tom In Cincy's Pool table diagram (http://www.geocities.com/cincytom314/pooltable1.gif)

iusedtoberich
02-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks to both of you. Both diagrams are nice.

Dave, I think a white cloth color would be better. The green wastes a lot of ink, and makes it harder to see what you draw.

Popcorn
02-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Thank you, I think most players have at one time or another made one of those and run a bunch off on a copy machine. I have been doing it for many many years. I must have a thousand diagrams of shots I've seen that I jotted down sort of like Eddie Robin. He has files full of that stuff. I once started compiling just 9-ball safety shots and was going to put it in book form, I have like 150 of them. I have little explanations I typed up attached to each one with paper clips that are all rusty now. I could scan and post a few. I haven't look at them in years, I wonder if I would still agree with my original thoughts.
It is funny, I used to play so conservative when I was young thats why all the safety stuff and as I got older I learned you can't beat good players playing like that, especially if they play better the you. Your only chance is to make something happen and run with it. If you play tit-for-tat with them your dead. I am talking tournaments not gambling. You can beat anyone a race if a few things go your way and you take advantage.

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 09:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I was refering to the link in the text (website) to items for sale on your site. <hr /></blockquote>
Now I'm really confused. Are you suggesting that I should not offer my products for sale on my website? The main purpose for the website is to support the book, so why would I not advertise that the book is for sale. Maybe I am still misunderstanding what you mean.

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 09:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Does that mean you plan on respecting the rules as the rest of us do? Just say yes or no and we will leave it at that. <hr /></blockquote>Yes. (Although I'm still not sure what "rule" you think I am breaking.)

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 09:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote iusedtoberich:</font><hr>Dave, I think a white cloth color would be better. The green wastes a lot of ink, and makes it harder to see what you draw.<hr /></blockquote>
Good suggestion. I've just posted a B&amp;W version (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/instructional_diagrams_BW.pdf).

Tom_In_Cincy
02-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Dave,
I see that you are posting your web site (selling books and CDs) on a .edu domain.

Are you an instructor at a university and using the .edu domain to make money?

Must be nice to have a university to subsidize your pool sales.

dr_dave
02-07-2005, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Dave,
I see that you are posting your web site (selling books and CDs) on a .edu domain.

Are you an instructor at a university and using the .edu domain to make money?

Must be nice to have a university to subsidize your pool sales. <hr /></blockquote>
You are correct. I do make some money off of my site. My hourly rate for the amount of time I have put in to create all of the online resources (video demonstrations, high-speed video clips, technical proofs, instructional articles, and everything else on the site) is about $0.07 per hour. I am sorry you think the main purpose of my site is to sell stuff. If I were to remove my site from the Internet, I am sure many people would be disappointed.

wolfdancer
02-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Sorry, but Dr.Dave's site is far from meeting the criteria for a commercial enterprise in my opinion...but why not let BD decide if the link is inappropiate, since it's their site??
I appreciate his posts....and Blackjack's.....anybody that's willing to share info.
I've ordered the DVD, but not due to the link....and I doubt if he's sold 10 as a result of posting here.
There's been a bunch of good folks run off this board...hope we're not trying to add Dr. Dave to the list????

Tom_In_Cincy
02-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Dave said:
[ QUOTE ]
I am sorry you think the main purpose of my site is to sell stuff. <hr /></blockquote>

Nowhere in my post did I state the "MAIN" purpose of your site is to sell your stuff.

This is pretty presumptious of you to make that statement.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-07-2005, 11:06 PM
I never said it was a commercial enterprise, those are your words.

A sale is a sale.... he is offering a product for sale.

Carnival booths take in money also. But they don't use an .edu domain to collect their money.

wolfdancer
02-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Tom,whether "commercial enterprise" or "main" is not specifically spelled out....what could a reasonable person imply from your post, re: using an .edu site to make money?
I don't understand the concern on your part?????
I think the "whore" and the "profit" remark are both uncalled for. Instead of a petty personal attack you should direct your complaints, founded or unfounded, to the folks at BD....last I heard, THEY were still in charge here.
Sounds like you feel personally offended and want a public apology from DD???? for what..????
Laisez Faire!!!!

DebraLiStarr
02-08-2005, 01:14 AM
Dr. Dave
There's a space for a link in your user profile. If people are interested in your products they can always find your link there. The issue isn't whether or not you are placing your link into your posts, its that you post so much and the link is always there. So far in this thread your link appears about a dozen times already. I don't think any of us forget that you have a web site, so why have it in your signature to remind us? Your knowledge and your reputation will lead people to learn more about you. I believe plugging your website a dozen times in a thread is a bit much and causes some (not me personally) to question your motives. I appreciate your participation here because you are a great resource for those of us that want to learn, but pushing your site as much as you do makes it come across as a constant Dr. Dave commercial - and its really not necessary at this point.

Popcorn
02-08-2005, 01:31 AM
There is a term called "Playing dumb," It's childish and does not wear well on you, I'd like to think you are a little better then that and having said that, I'm done. No response required.

Rich R.
02-08-2005, 04:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> Thanks for the feedback. For a minute there, I was worried that others might also be offended like Popcorn. <hr /></blockquote>
Dr. Dave, I have to honestly say that there is something in your writing style that doesn't seem to mesh with my thought process. Therefore, I tend to skip a lot of what you write, on this board. I also rarely read your article in BD.
However, as long as you are honestly contributing to the discussion here, whether I read it or not, I have no problem with you including your URL with your posts. I feel the same about anyone else, who has a product to sell.

If you were just coming to the CCB to sell the probuct and not contribute to the discussion, I would be among the first to complain to the Admin.

There are others on here, who are selling products or services and we all know who they are. Some show their URL in their profiles and some do not. That is their personal choice. Whether for my benefit or the benefit of others, I welcome the use of URL's in either the profiles or as part of the tag lines, as long as the people involved are honestly contributing to the discussion.

eg8r
02-08-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the "whore" and the "profit" remark are both uncalled for. Instead of a petty personal attack you should direct your complaints, founded or unfounded, to the folks at BD....last I heard, THEY were still in charge here.
<hr /></blockquote> Sometimes policing ourselves is more effective. We are grownups here, so one would think Dr Dave would read the rules and abide. His link was no big deal to me, until he started adding the tag, "I am putting in a shamless plug, blah blah blah." I started noticed him adding this plug after his DVD got some headlines here on the board. Most people here on the net are quite comfortable with the various different highlighting and I am sure you could find any 8 year old who can recognize a hyperlink on a webpage. There is no reason for a "shameless plug".

eg8r

eg8r
02-08-2005, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, do you think the URL is inappropriate as Popcorn has suggested? <hr /></blockquote> As long as you quit mentioning it and just let it sit there, it would probably be fine. We are internet savvy enough to see it is a hyperlink and if interested we will visit the site.

People on this board have no problem giving credit where credit is due and your information and products are no exception. Many have thanked you for the work, and recently someone has praised the DVD. There is no reason for "shameless plugs". You don't see any from cuemakers or other billiard related items.

eg8r &lt;~~~has visited the site /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
02-08-2005, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> You are correct. I do make some money off of my site. <hr /></blockquote>Board Rules "- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind"

The issue isn't so much that you're doing advertising. Most of us can excuse a certain amount of advertising. It's the blatant advertising that becomes an issue. Some posters may not understand that there are actual board rules that prohibit this, so their opinion though valid doesn't coincide with the actual posted board rules.

Fred

Fred Agnir
02-08-2005, 07:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> There is no reason for "shameless plugs". <hr /></blockquote>There's also no reason for "I'm glad to see that someone appreciates my work..."

Fred

dr_dave
02-08-2005, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr>I don't think any of us forget that you have a web site, so why have it in your signature to remind us?<hr /></blockquote>
I honestly did not know that this was an issue for people. I have removed my signature entirely.

Stretch
02-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Just for the record, i find the use of url's on tag lines while in a forum quite tacky. St~~the short answer(say's he bighting lip)~~

Tom_In_Cincy
02-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Wolfdancer[ QUOTE ]
I think the "whore" and the "profit" remark are both uncalled for. Instead of a petty personal attack you should direct your complaints, founded or unfounded, to the folks at BD....last I heard, THEY were still in charge here. <hr /></blockquote>

I never said anything about 'whores' and 'profits'. You obviously have me mistaken for someone else.

I don't take anything you or Dave has to post, personal.
Another obvious mistake on your part.

How many 'wrongs' do you have to post before ya think people will stop reading anything you post?

LARRY_BOY
02-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Do anything you want Dr. Dave. The only people who will complaine are the ones who do nothing at all for pool as a sport or much less anyone but themselves......

LARRY_BOY
02-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Do anything you want Dr. Dave. The only people who will complaine are the ones who do nothing at all for pool as a sport or much less anyone but themselves......

loofnicnad
02-08-2005, 09:57 AM
I find it disconcerting that this thread has turned from what is one man's effort to help others learn some of the more technical aspects of approaching the game of pool, to a discussion of how someone else views those efforts.
I, for one, look forward to reading anyone's postings which contain helpful advice, particularly when the advice is accompanied by sound explanations and an obvious desire to give aid to those here who may need it most.
If Dr. Dave, or anyone else for that matter, wishes to give other people here easy access to his information by posting his web site in his signature, good for him. It just saves the rest of us a little time in finding the documents he refers to when he responds to questions or wishes to share another aspect of research.

bluey2king
02-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks! This will help me with some Questions I have about Position. FYI there is a dark indicator at one of the side pockets. Wont bother me just thought I would tell you.
Bluey

dr_dave
02-08-2005, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loofnicnad:</font><hr> I find it disconcerting that this thread has turned from what is one man's effort to help others learn some of the more technical aspects of approaching the game of pool, to a discussion of how someone else views those efforts.
I, for one, look forward to reading anyone's postings which contain helpful advice, particularly when the advice is accompanied by sound explanations and an obvious desire to give aid to those here who may need it most.
If Dr. Dave, or anyone else for that matter, wishes to give other people here easy access to his information by posting his web site in his signature, good for him. It just saves the rest of us a little time in finding the documents he refers to when he responds to questions or wishes to share another aspect of research. <hr /></blockquote>
Thank you for your message. I have removed the link from my signature, but I will still continue to provide links to material when it is in direct support of something I am posting. If people find that offensive, I don't know how to respond (and I won't).

tateuts
02-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Dr. Dave,

I hope you are not discouraged by the few negative responses you see here. I've used your website for years and found it very helpful. Before you really posted here, we would put in links to your clips etc.

My take on your website is that it is the act of an enthusiast, not a commerical venture. At one time I marveled at the effort you put in working on a free site.

For that reason, personally I do not find your site to be a commerical solicitation.

Chris

dr_dave
02-08-2005, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> Thanks! This will help me with some Questions I have about Position.<hr /></blockquote>You are very welcome.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr>FYI there is a dark indicator at one of the side pockets. Wont bother me just thought I would tell you.<hr /></blockquote>I just looked at and printed both copies and I don't see anything. Could you be more specific, letting me know what you see, in what file (color or B&amp;W), and where it is (e.g., which side pocket)?

dr_dave
02-08-2005, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>I hope you are not discouraged by the few negative responses you see here. I've used your website for years and found it very helpful. Before you really posted here, we would put in links to your clips etc.

My take on your website is that it is the act of an enthusiast, not a commerical venture. At one time I marveled at the effort you put in working on a free site.

For that reason, personally I do not find your site to be a commerical solicitation.<hr /></blockquote>
Chris,

Thank you very much for your very nice message. It helps offset the not-so-nice messages.

Regards,
Dave

PS: I have also received numerous private messages over the last couple of days that have been very supportive, providing wisdom and history concerning some of the more colorful CCB participants. This has helped me put things in perspective.

Cane
02-08-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't know Dr. Dave and really have no opinion about him one way or the other, haven't purchased his book or DVD, have been to his website a few times, but not every time I see his URL in the signature, but I have no problem with Dave or anyone else putting a URL in their signature, especially since those who don't want to look at it, don't have to click on it. I figure it's kind of like a strip club. If you don't like naked women, DON'T GO IN!!!! However, I had no idea that URLs were so offensive to so many, so I have removed the URL to my humble little pool school from my singature.

As for those that are worried about Dr. Dave making a profit from the book and DVD promoted on his website, I don't think you have to (or should be) concerned about that. I'm an author in a Non-Pool related field, flyfishing... folks, he ain't getting rich! When my first book went on the market, I made SOOOOO much money that I almost covered publication and promotion costs with the first 1000 copies! Wow! Now I'm just rolling in dough! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a matter of fact, I think I'll head for his website now and buy both. See, I know enough about writing books and the cost of publication and promotion that I figure the guy needs to sell a few of these just to hit a break even point... and honestly, he offers so much free information and so many free downloads on his website that I hope he sells enough of his products to keep his site up and going. Also, even though I don't necessarily agree with everything DD asserts, any information, any veiwpoint, any position that he may offer on his website should be looked at as an asset to this forum and the pool playing public in general, and I personally don't care if he's selling books or even pool tables, as long as he doesn't get on here and say "Buy My Stuff!".

Later,
Bob (now non-URL)

cheesemouse
02-08-2005, 11:07 AM
dr_dave_

Most of us here have enough common sense in our little finger tips to know your not 'spamming' us with your helpful contributions to this forum. As on most forums there are the self appointed police. Who knows why they feel compelled to do this and, for that matter, who cares. Someone posted that this is the BD's forum and if there is anyone from that publication monitoring the site forum and they felt you had somehow went against the rules they could have acted; they did not. You did nothing wrong. In fact you do a bunch of things right and I encourage you to continue just as you have in the past...don't let the cops intimidate into changing your correct behavior.

Keep up the good work and thank you for all you have done with your passion for the game....http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/weird_thread.gif

Fred Agnir
02-08-2005, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> PS: I have also received numerous private messages over the last couple of days that have been very supportive, providing wisdom and history concerning some of the more colorful CCB participants. This has helped me put things in perspective. <hr /></blockquote>I don't know what's worse, people compelled to privately provide biased "wisdom and history," or the fact that you would naively buy into such a one-sided farce.

The simple history, Dr. Dave is that there never seems to be any issues other than certain individuals that seem not to be able to understand board dynamics. It's easy if you give it half an effort. I personally don't think you've given it the effort. Those that cry foul and whine of "ego boosting" further prove that they simply don't understand how forum boards are supposed to work. We all just post with words on a screen. Any judgement on the posters intentions are foolhardy. Words on a screen. That's all they are.

And could you please for once stop with the martyrdom crap? There are enough people that enjoy your articles and effort. That shouldn't be an issue at this stage of your posting career.

Fred

wolfdancer
02-08-2005, 12:25 PM
"semantics" Tom....sounds like your ego got bruised, because I questioned your proclamations...so now it's another personal attack....instead of just arguing your position.
Can't stand having your "authority" challenged?
My position is pretty clear...I think Dr. Dave may have breached some minor board protocol, but since I doubt if he's in it for the money...it shouldn't have merited more then a single post,a mild rebuke from you or Popcorn...
And I think you breached any board etiquette, by making it
"personal"
If I'm not mistaken, there are links to both the Strokemaster, and the Breakrac, among others floating around here....unchallenged.
It ain't like he was asking you to send $6 and get your name on a list, to make thousands

"How many 'wrongs' do you have to post before ya think people will stop reading anything you post?"

<font color="red"> </font color> I don't know...ya think this might do it?

Tom_In_Cincy
02-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Wolfdancer...

If there is any specific question you have about my posts, please qoute the statement(s) I've made and then ask away.

Otherwise, this will be my last post on the subject.

If this were personal, I would have PM'd Dave.

dr_dave
02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr>I have no problem with Dave or anyone else putting a URL in their signature, especially since those who don't want to look at it, don't have to click on it. ... I had no idea that URLs were so offensive to so many, so I have removed the URL to my humble little pool school from my singature.<hr /></blockquote>
I also like having people's URLs in their signatures. I like having easy access to a person's website, especially if it offers useful information. However, I also don't want to offend people, so I was happy to remove it. We can still provide links to useful information in the body of our messages when it is appropriate.

dr_dave
02-08-2005, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>Most of us here have enough common sense in our little finger tips to know your not 'spamming' us with your helpful contributions to this forum.
You did nothing wrong. In fact you do a bunch of things right and I encourage you to continue just as you have in the past
Keep up the good work and thank you for all you have done with your passion for the game....<hr /></blockquote>
Thank you for your supportive message. I appreciate it. And don't worry ... I'm not going anywhere. I plan to continue to participate and learn from this forum for a long, long time.

Popcorn
02-08-2005, 02:01 PM
If it is generally allowed then you will have hundreds of bogus post like are found on many forums i.e.

"I just ordered from this place (link) and I really liked the tips I got"

or
"Have any of you ever used one of these cues, (link) I hear they are one of the best"

How about this it is one of the most common.

"Hi everyone I just wanted to post about one of the best pool books I have ever read it is, (pick any name). My game has improve 900% since I read it. Just wanted to share that with everyone. They have a web site (link)"

Here is a common one,

"just wanted to let everyone know about a nice cue I saw on ebay. (link to auction) Are these nice cues, I was thinking about bidding on it".

You get the idea. If it was allowed it would constitute most of the forum every day. I have 29 items on ebay right now, shell I begin listing them all? I prefer no business on forums period, or there is no where to draw the line. In fact this whole thread should be deleted because it has nothing to do with pool. except to the original post by Dr. Dave about his table diagram. Some one occasionally may mention a product, but objectively and if they do there is no need for the producer of the product to take it as an opening to advertise. People say nice stuff about Scott Lee or Randy all the time and I am sure they read it but they don't post thank you's to everyone who mentions their name, they just humbly listens, they know they are good and don't need stroking. Any way, that's just my opinion. I agree this thread got weird. I can't believe I started all this, with one simple comment.

DialUp
02-08-2005, 02:35 PM
How come none of you self appointed moderators chimed in on this thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=178963&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1#Post179276)?

I think these sigs and threads are very similar... Currious...

Why do you treat Sapolis different than Dr. Dave? I have my theories /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave - These members have issues with you that motivate them to attack you. Any reasonable person can see that you are a pool enthusiast before a business man. That, in itself, grants you leway with forum dynamics. Anybody who has been around forums, long enough, knows this to be true. Therefore, their issues are that of a personal level and they deserve a simple /slap or a /chortle /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif All they need to do is complain to the admins to solve their problems if they are about rules.

Don't let them dictate your actions. Stand up for yourself and call them out...

JohnnyP
02-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Shoot pool, Fast Eddie.

Rod
02-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Tisk, Tisk; shameless,shameless,shameless. LOL Don't worry about it Dave plenty of people have a url in their sig. You might refrain from mentioning it though, I think that is what bothers some people. Why draw attention, everyone can see it. Just a thought.

BTW, one of the nicest tables I've seen. However it will use a lot of ink. I modified one Tom in Cincy made on a CAD program. I think white and black shows diagrams/balls much better.

Rod

Popcorn
02-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Probably because the original poster post are few and far between and people look forward to his posts. He doesn't post a dozen times to his own threads for no other reason then to keep it at the top of the page. Doesn't come across as self serving, is recognized as a good player with credibility and people are truly interested in what he has to say. Plus, I clicked on his links and didn't see anything for sale, if there is it is hidden pretty good. To best I can tell, the book is free and by a guy who really knows what he is talking about.

dr_dave
02-08-2005, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>Tisk, Tisk; shameless,shameless,shameless. LOL Don't worry about it Dave plenty of people have a url in their sig. You might refrain from mentioning it though, I think that is what bothers some people. Why draw attention, everyone can see it. Just a thought.<hr /></blockquote>
My signature is gone for good, so hopefully this will be a moot point now.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>BTW, one of the nicest tables I've seen. However it will use a lot of ink. I modified one Tom in Cincy made on a CAD program. I think white and black shows diagrams/balls much better.<hr /></blockquote>
I have both color (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/instructional_diagrams.pdf) and black and white (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/instructional_diagrams_BW.pdf) versions posted on my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/) (if anybody objects to this link, please read on and do not click on it). The B&amp;W version is ink friendly.

BTW, the diagrams were created to match the standard BCA specs exactly, so every dimension and angle (e.g., for the pockets) is accurately scaled.

dr_dave
02-08-2005, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>I have both color (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/instructional_diagrams.pdf) and black and white (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/instructional_diagrams_BW.pdf) versions posted on my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/) (if anybody objects to this link, please read on and do not click on it). The B&amp;W version is ink friendly.<hr /></blockquote>
FYI, I just posted an even friendlier version (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/instructional_diagrams_BW_no_fill.pdf) (ink-wise) with no fill colors whatsoever.

JohnnyP
02-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Dave: Looks like my dream table.

http://www.brunswick-billiards.com/brunswick_collection/tables/casual/gibson_room.html

wolfdancer
02-08-2005, 05:57 PM
I can see your point of view...I'm still waiting for all them thousands to roll in from the "send $6 to the above..."
To bad the thread didn't end after your first reply,....and since DD isn't really in it for the $$..."no harm, no foul"
As you can tell though, the board is divided on the issue.

DialUp
02-08-2005, 10:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>I clicked on his links and didn't see anything for sale, if there is it is hidden pretty good. <hr /></blockquote>
There is a link on the front page called "Books by Blackjack David Sapolis" along with several other products for sale including /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dr. Dave's /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif book lol

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>...is recognized as a good player<hr /></blockquote>
Methinks that's the real reason you let him be /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif If Dr. Dave was a pro, you would be kissing his ass, IMO...

Sapolis - I have no problem with your thread or your site (which I like alot). I just wanted to point out the picking and choosing of who to attack and your thread was a recent example.