PDA

View Full Version : Golden West best bet around $2-2.5k?

quik
02-07-2005, 04:07 PM
I have recently decided to buy a pool table, but without having much prior knowledge I have been trying to search the Internet to find some info. I spent alot of time last night looking at other post from people asking for help but I didn't see much said about golden west tables. There is a Golden west dealer close to me in WA as well as a Imperial. I have been in both shops looking at tables and I REALLY like the looks of the build quality of the golden west tables over the imperials in the $2-2.5k range. The golden west models I have been looking at are the Camen, Virginia and the Coronado. The model I like the most is a lighter wood version of the Virginia that has a wider rail option and some black diamond inlays and it runs 2.5k. I believe golden west makes a good table but in that price range could I get a better table for the money? I have not gotten to look at Brunswick or olhausen tables as the dealers for them are almost 2 hours away. Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated

woody_968
02-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Understand that my experience on Golden West tables has been very limited, so please consider that in my oppinion.

The only GW tables that I have played on had the slate cut VERY deeply into the pockets. In fact you could get an object ball so deep into the pocket that you couldnt play a rail first shot for shape, you had to play straight into the object ball. The slate was so deep it made it extremely difficult to run a ball up the rail. Some people really enjoy this type of table, but I am not one of them /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Running the ball up the rail didnt bother me as much as having such a limited shot selection when the OB was that deep in the pocket.

Are you looking for a table that looks best or plays best? If your main concern is play then IMO you might want to look at a different table. In fact the best deal is often found by getting a used table, but if looks are one of your primary concerns this can really cut down on used choices.

Hopefully some others can give you some input on Golden West that have had the chance to play on a wider variety of GW tables than I have.

Woody

quik
02-07-2005, 06:08 PM
I guess I should have also included that this price includes setup and delivery along with starter cues/balls etc and this is for a 8' table This is a picture of the one in the show room I really like the color/design of it as well Golden West Virginia (http://home.comcast.net/~quik99/table.jpg)

FastJoey
02-07-2005, 11:13 PM
i recently purchased a new Olhausen Augusta 9 foot table..i am very pleased with it and the Olhausen company.......

bsmutz
02-08-2005, 01:01 PM
I have a Golden West table that I bought last spring. I like the way it plays and do not have the deep pocket problem mentioned above. The only complaint that I have with Golden West is that they DO NOT know how to install a table. They sent two guys with a carpenter's level and the wrong slate on the original install. By the time they got back with the right slate, it was almost 5pm and you could tell they were in a hurry to get the install done and leave. I called and complained because the table rolled off in a couple of places but was told that I would have to pay to have it relevelled. One of the slates popped up a couple of weeks later and they came out to fix it at their cost. Again, they were in a hurry. The guy crawled under, put a couple of wedges in, and asked if that was good. I told him no, that I wanted the seam resealed and that I wanted the table levelled. They reluctantly removed the cloth from that end and resealed the seam, then made another very poor attempt at levelling. It sounds like you may be getting it from someone else besides the manufacturer. The table itself is very well constructed. Read up as much as you can on what is required of a decent installation (search this forum's archives as well as the others). Then insist that whoever does the install do a good job. Another thing I didn't like was that they used putty to seal the slate seams, mixing it right on the slate. After he was done, he wiped the slate down with his hand in a hit or miss haphazard fashion. They also left broken pieces of the wedges they used under the slate to level it and staples on the floor. Instead of scoring the wedges with a box cutter, he just tried to snap them by hand and ended up twisting the wood to break it causing unsightly twisted ends hanging out. You could tell by their attitude that they didn't really give a rip. Of course, they tell you you have a lifetime warranty and that if anything is unsatisfactory, they will fix it gratis. What they need to fix is their installation team. If I had it to do over again, I would still buy the table, but I would insist that they do a professional installation first.
Oh yeah, I got the Coronado model. The only thing that looks hokey about this table is that they have a huge center beam running the length of the table, but if you crawl under and look, it is not supporting the slate. I think the higher priced models do have this beam supporting the slate. They do have supports running side to side under the seams, but it is better to have support both ways.

dg-in-centralpa
02-08-2005, 02:09 PM
The Diamond Smart Tables used at Valley Forge(bar boxes), are the same way

DG

woody_968
02-08-2005, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> The Diamond Smart Tables used at Valley Forge(bar boxes), are the same way

DG <hr /></blockquote>

I have played a few tourneys on Diamonds Smart Tables and didnt have the same problems that were on the Golden West. It sounds like it may have been just a certain model GW table that was like that.

On a side note I will say that the Diamond was by far the best playing bar table I have played on. The slate was a little deeper in the pockets, but it wasnt to the point that rail first shots couldnt be played when a ball was hung in the pocket (at least on the ones I played on).

Woody

superstroke
02-09-2005, 01:42 AM
I have one, it would play much better if the people put it together correctly.